Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Posted March 22, 2016
Love Melissa and Melissa schools! I have one in Middle School and one in High School. Small town feel with great academics!

Harry Mckillop Elementary School 1

Posted March 18, 2016
Overcrowded schools. 25 kids in each kindergarten class, a huge turnover rate, teachers look MISERABLE. This school system has gone downhill fast! More and more parents are pulling their kids out. Now the elementary school has pods, while the neighboring communities continue to over build. The school system cannot keep up! Their entire focus is teaching the STAAR testing. If you have kids that bully, physically abuse other kids, constantly disrupt the class- the school system does nothing except allow them to take a walk with the vice principal. SO DISAPPOINTED in Melissa ISD!

Harry Mckillop Elementary School 1

Posted February 15, 2016
I honestly don't get all the positive reviews. Maybe the others don't expect communication about individual student performance. Maybe they don't expect good teachers to stay. Maybe they don't expect their student to learn much other than how to take a test. Maybe they don't mind if their student needing extra help gets plunked in front of a computer program. Maybe they don't mind an overcrowded under resourced school. The community is growing rapidly and there is just one elementary school. Where is the money going? Fish rots at the head. Our student is getting pulled from this train wreck that will simply pass along students needing extra attention and help. Multiple requests and meetings suggest we're not really a, "teaching team" as pitched at each orientation. If you like the community, fine. But plan to educate your children elsewhere. They won't get much in this school.

Posted April 08, 2015
I can't say enough good things about this school! We moved from Fort Worth ISD (which was decent) but Melissa is GREAT! My son is in Mrs. Dockery's class and my daughter in Mrs. Kusano's class. They come home from school almost daily telling me how much they LOVE their new school! The teachers are so informative, even send out weekly emails letting you know what to chat about with your kids when they get home to help reinforce what they learned during the day! Like I said, I couldn't be happier! We are looking forward to many more happy years at McKillop Elementary! P.S. The office staff is just as GREAT as the teachers! I haven't had to speak with them much but whenever I do they are always very informative, kind and helpful!

Posted June 24, 2014
I love our school. This will be my 5th year at this campus, and I wake up every day excited to get to school. Melissa is a wonderful community and our school has a great partnership with our parents.

Posted May 21, 2012
My daughter was fortunate enough to attend this school when she started Kindergarten. We are in the military & have since moved...twice! Harry McKillop set a standard in education that no other school can seem to match. The teacher she had was amazing! The parent involvement is like no other! And the best part, is no one was standoffish, it was so easy to get involved! Parents & staff are so friendly. They go above & beyond! If we could move back, we would just so our daughter could go back to this school.

Posted April 15, 2012
I love HME, my son came to this school almost 2 grade levels behind in his reading and in less than 1 school yrs time they have worked with him and increased his reading level to where he is only months behind at this point. That is AMAZING! Especially considering the fact that he has hearing and speech difficulties and has always had to struggle!! They know who we are when we enter the doors, all of the staff look out for each and every child from what I have noticed, parents are always invited and involved in everything, I feel completely at ease leaving my child in their care throughout the day. And I can not say enough about the communication I receive about my child and the genuine concern his teacher and the principle show for him, as well as every child in their care. I love this school!!

Harry Mckillop Elementary School 2

Posted July 18, 2011
Unfortunately this school and district are losing focus of what is most important...The well rounded student. The district has an inability to hang on to talented teachers and administration has a total disregard as to the important role the teachers play in the district. A lack of vision and leadership are steering this boat into dangerous waters and it's a shame because the students and parents are absolutely fantastic. They deserve so much better.

Posted August 01, 2010
We moved to Melissa just in time for my daughter to start Kindergarden at the brand new (that year) McKillop Elementary. It has been a wonderful experience for her. I believe the leadership from the top down are what makes this school great. My daughter loves going to school. When I visit, I'm met with warm, friendly, helpful staff and volunteers. The district has received multiple awards for its programs and best of all, I don't feel like a stranger. Because Melissa is still a small town, you still have that small town feel...everyone knows you, faces are familiar....I feel secure sending my child there knowing that people care about HER, her emotional and academic development. I HIGHLY recommend MISD to any parent considering a move to the country.

Posted January 23, 2008
We are new to MRE this school year and have found the school to be wonderful. I am most impressed by the ratio of teachers to students. Having fewer students in your class is a win-win situation for both students and teachers. More after-school programs are being offered and I know that as the community and school grows that more programs will be available. Very happy here!

Harry Mckillop Elementary School
3509 Liberty Way, Melissa, TX  75454
Last modified Harry Mckillop Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.