Bad
Good

My child although he made Honor Roll throughout the year did not do great on the STAR. When I went in to ask for help, trying to be proactive and get him the help he should be getting during the summer I was told, "since he was in 7th grade it did not matter if he failed"! That to me is mind-blowing. IF a child is struggling he should be helped out regardless of his grade. I tried to explain how this did not make sense since next year this would actually hold him back a year. I explained I was trying to be proactive and I was denied any help or resources for my child. He started school off with homework and assignments and by Christmas he had none. I emailed teachers and they would send verbal responses with my son. Why would you do that, that is not professional. I later learned this is a common practice for schools, once they procure their funding they don't care to properly teach. Another teacher spent all year writing referrals and walking out of class because she was on the verge of a nervous break down due to her class. Why are these kids not permanently removed? Other children need and want to learn. My siblings and I are all products of PUBLIC schools and we are all college educated with careers, so I trusted them, however I will NOT make the same mistake with my second child.

Vanston is a great middle school!! The administration and teachers are outstanding. My children are excelling through their highest potential. If there are any bad ratings of this school it is definitely not the school or staff it is the Environment. I believe if parents are raising their children in a godly home teaching them respect and good morals and expressing how important their education is our schools here in Mesquite would be top notch...rated a 10. Parents get yourself in a bible teaching church and raise your chldren the way God attended. Thank you Lord Jesus for this school and for protecting my children and giving them the wisdom to do what is right in any situation they face. Amen

The school year started out for my daughter poorly. The first couple of weeks there was bullying and the remainder of the year continued along that theme. Also her wallet was stolen. The Principle would never respond to concerns. It was as if he was a ghost. Then in order to get a response from the Assistant Principle regarding the persistant bullying, I had to be persistant and then it appeared as if there was an irritation because a parent was actually involved with their child's well being. I had to resort to calling the School Board but I was just re-routed to the Principal and received the Principal's Asst. I never received a response from the Principal. They were so irritated until the campus officer yelled at my daughter and and said that she was lying although another student had witnessed the bullying. The witness was told that she was lying too. I was given all kinds of reasons why they couldn't do anything about the bullying but not given a resolution how the bullying could be resolved. I had to move my daughter to another school.

My son went through Vanston and enjoyed it. He made good freinds there that he has in North Mesquite High school, He participated in extracurricular activities, and even rode the bus to and from school and still came home happy almost everyday. Pretty good experience for middle school in my opinion. Several of the teachers here are outstanding and took great interest in helping him succeed. I even found it interesting how much effort they used promoting college in 8th grade, trying to help him find his major interest and career path.

Last modified Vanston Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.