Mesquite, TX

Thompson Elementary School 5

Posted September 11, 2013
Have been with this school for 7 years now and I think the teachers are great! I have NEVER had a problem with any teachers, principals or staff. Everyone is very personable and welcoming. If you have a problem or concern they want to know so they can fix it. This year they have a new principal which came from the middle school and I believe she is going to make a positive improvement with they kids, and the school! MISD has great schools with great teachers but its the kids who attend. Thompson is a great school, but If you have any class or want your kids to go to school with well brought up and taught kids move before they get to 6th grade and go to terry. Just saying.

Posted January 02, 2011
My children attend this school and so far, we have been quite impressed. I feel that my children are learning in a safe and positive environment. The teachers my children have had there at Thompson, in my opinion, have been exceptional. My kids are excelling and I'm happy that Thompson has improved their TEA rating to "recognized."

Posted October 10, 2010
Let me start by saying we kept my son in private school through first grade mainly based on the reviews from this site. However, we enrolled my oldest in second and third grade and enrolled my kindergartener this year. We have really been pleasantly surprised. This school is very....what I like to call "structured". Honestly, a little overboard maybe, but with the kids they deal with, it is probably for the best. We have been blessed with great teachers who have improved their ratings and hopefully will continue to do so all the way to exemplary.

Thompson Elementary School 2

Posted August 02, 2010
Horrible school. People like to blame the teachers, and Dr Murry, but the real blame lies with the parents that are raising the disrespectful and unruly children that attend this school. There is only so much a teacher can do with children that have not been taught respect or any good behavioral habits. Its really very sad for the well behaved and respectful students who have to witness desks being thrown and daily classroom tantrums. We moved away for better schools and my 3rd grader said to me "mom, we learn things faster at our new school" I said "how so?" "because we don't have to wait around for everyone to Finally understand". The well behaved children at this school are the minority. Section 8 ruined this school and neighborhood, sadly. A lot of good teachers but still some are really mean and rude.

Posted December 02, 2008
Wow, we think Thompson is a great school. Two of my children are in MTA program and they are doing better then ever before in school. Working together with my children's teachers and the Principal it has been a winning atmosphere. We also enjoy the events the PTA puts on. We loved the Family Movie Night.

Thompson Elementary School 2

Posted August 27, 2008
When we moved here, one of the main deciding factors was the fact the school had a Exemplary rating. It has gone down hill from there. They think that because is as an acceptable rating, that it all good. I want like to see them strive to get back to the exemplary and just accetable. The most emphasis is put on how get a passing grade on TAKS and not teaching the basics and how to use them in an everday living situation. I agree with the other comments about the prinicipal. To get help for my kids, I have had to work the assistant prinicpal.

Thompson Elementary School 0

Posted August 13, 2008
Yes, Thompson is a crowed school, yes sometimes teachers don't do everything PERFECTLY, but the real question is....is the princapal a good princapal? NO! Ms.. Packwood was the best princapal ever there. Dr. Murray is rude to parents and rude to students, i can guarentee when she leaves, the school will be better rated.

Posted January 06, 2008

Posted June 14, 2007
The school is overcrowded but there is to be a new school to be built near by so hopefully that will improve the size of classes soon. I feel that part of the school rating is because parents are not getting involved with their children. My son's kindergarten class had a daily assignment where the parent and child needed to read every night and record what they read. It did not matter what was read, a book, a poem, the small booklets with their word wall words in them. Only 25% of the parents took the time to do this. Several students didn't know to use crayon or pencil before coming to school. The schools can't do everything. We as parents have to teach our children also and just leave everything up to the teachers

Thompson Elementary School 1

Posted February 03, 2007

Thompson Elementary School
2525 Helen Lane, Mesquite, TX  75181
Last modified Thompson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thompson Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top