Midland, TX

Emerson Elementary School 3

Posted May 08, 2015
I enrolled my child in Emerson for the 2014-2015 school year and I can't say it was the best or the worst. Most of the teachers stay connected to parents but I can't say that for all of them. The principal shows very little concern in student behavior but most staff and office ladies show a lot of compassion for the kids. If you asked me if you should take your child here, I'd simply say "maybe." It really depends on the parent.

Emerson Elementary School 5

Posted March 03, 2015
This is a great school!!! The teachers and and staff are wonderful!!! Strong PTA too!

Posted December 31, 2014
My child is a hispanic third grader and I've pulled her out of school because her teacher was constantly bullying her because she was a Mexican! I'll tell you what happened - my child's teacher & best friend were both Caucasian and everytime my child's so-called friend did something and the teacher knew it was her, my kid would be sent to the office and given immediate discipline! Her teacher would pull her out of class for something as simple as dropping her pencil then in the hall she would yell at my student saying that's not "exemplary behavior" over a stupid pencil! My child also remarked how instead of calling her by her name, her teacher would call her "Juanita" or "Mexican girl"! I got so fed up so I contacted the principals but they refused to do anything about it! They even said my child was a horrible example and were practically begging me to take her out! This is a terrible school!

Posted February 09, 2012
DISGUSTED!!!!! One word says it all, the administration the teachers and the kids behavior.I take pride in teaching my children, to treat others the way they want to be treated. These kids are are horrible, who is parenting them? My daughter has been bullied NON-STOP, and now that im threating to pull her out of the school, now they want to do something. The teachers dont act like they even want to be there, its more of just ther pay check. With a VERY small excep. of techers. I have meet with the principals over the bulling and for some reason the situation has not got any better its got worse! Now I have been a PTA president and in my personal opion this in one of the worst schools top to bottom regardless of its ratings. If you plan on sending your kids to this school, PLEASE take the reviews into consideration, I wish I had, because my daught is paying for it now.

Posted August 08, 2009
Emerson is a super school, every grade level prepares the student for sucess. I love the way every child is encouraged and praised; and yes it shows in thier Exemplatory status. The new pricipal Mrs. Baiza has done a super job.

Posted June 18, 2009
I am a parent and am very disappointed with the students and the administration at this school. My son has been consistently bullied, both physically and verbally, by a number of students. Each occurrence has been reported and subsequently ignored. The only interest in the staff and administration is ensuring the students pass the TAKS. I am to the point that I am withdrawing him from this school and placing him in a private school.

Posted April 30, 2009
I am a teacher myself and I find it very disconcerting that all they do at the school is get ready for TAKS and on a regular basis recess is taken from them. I made a formal complaint against the administration and a teacher after my son was suspended for not telling a child I'm sorry. This school needs training on how to effectively deal with and communicate with parents and children.

Posted February 04, 2009
I was very disappointed with this school, considering the 'Recognized' rating and shocked that the principal recieved an award. My 2 children were enrolled for 6 weeks in Jan 2008 before I pulled them out and place them in private school. The teachers are burned out with no support from the admin. I spoke with the prinicipal concerning a substitue who was cussing and calling the children names and the principal told me that the sub would never mean to hurt any of the kids. Basically, she blew me off. There is very little positive reinforcement, recess is taken from the kids as a punishment for every little infraction. By the time the kids are in 6th grade it is a joke. When there isnt a sub, the kids are grouped with another class that has a teacher and watch cartoons. Hoping the new principal this year can change things.

Posted May 09, 2008
Emerson has been the worst experience for my child. Parent involvement is discouraged unless you are one of the chosen few. No feedback unless bad. Absolutely no positive has came out of this school year. No feedback on homework and nothing sent home to let me know if they are doing o.k. or not. very disappointed with a 'recognized school' and 'principal of the year' not impressed at all.

Emerson Elementary School 5

Posted April 07, 2007
After experiences with 2 different North-Side Elementary Schools in Midland, Emerson stands out as the best. It is a great school for parent involvement. Join the PTA. We had over 250 parents and children at a PTA Spaghetti dinner in February. This shows a great deal of support for the school and the children by their parents and the PTA. As far as the education side of it, our child is exceeding much faster than she did at Santa Rita. Homework is a part of school. Do it now and they will be prepared for High School and College.

2800 Moss Avenue, Midland, TX  79705
Last modified Emerson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Emerson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top