Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Subject matter seems to be taught sporadically and without a systematic plan; not enough review. The kids are "worksheeted" to death!

Amount of homework: Disagree

My child is in second grade and gets 2 to 3 sheets front and back plus 20 minutes of reading. Sometimes the homework takes 45 minutes to an hour to complete per school night. It's a bit much.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Teachers should lead by example. They say the rudest things to children but expect the children to "do as they say."

JAV is an excellent campus, the very best. Each teacher is involved in the success of the individual student. Every cent spent is to better the students and enrich their learning. This is a school where the students really are put first, and it shows. The faculty respect and love the kids. If any individual child struggles with any concept, they are given extensive help and tutoring all through the year as needed. Everyone gets involved with student success. The atmosphere is uplifting and loving. I cannot say enough good things about this remarkable campus.

I have never had a issue with this school. If my child needs extra help the teachers Never hesitate. I really enjoy this school for my children.

I despise this school. My son should have a comprehensive 504 plan in place, after pushing for two months to have the meeting, very little accommodations were actually implemented. My daughter, an A/B student, was having a hat year with math. I requested numerous times that she receive additional support. She was denied that support throughout the school year. Then came STAAR testing. She failed math. All of a sudden, to protect their school rating, she was given intensive math counseling for 3 weeks so she could pass it. They do not listen to parents input, are not supportive, the walls are prison white when every other MISD elementary school is colorful an displays children's artwork. Speaking of which, in the 3 years my kids have attended, I have NEVER received any artwork. They are fully aware the art teacher throws it away. Nice way to build them up JAV!

Had a parent/teacher meeting, which also included the principal. Meeting was upon parent request. We asked how the teacher introduced certain routines in the classroom. The teacher replied that she had introduced routines the same way every year and would not change anything that she was doing. Surprisingly, the principal seemed supportive of the teacher's response, because he sat silently. Neither the principal nor the teacher seemed to truly care about our child. They were very defensive, and their attitudes never portrayed one of wanting to be helpful but of being argumentative. I have never witnessed such unprofessional behavior; especially from a principal. Instead of answering parent questions, the principal and the teacher rolled their eyes and never offered any helpful suggestions or answers. It leads me to assume that answering parent curriculum questions is very much frowned upon. I question whether the principal has ever taught elementary education. The teachers that our child was "learning" from seem to be ill-equipped at managing and teaching young children. Professional development in classroom management and professionalism is greatly needed.

This school is great. The teachers are caring and purposeful in their teaching. I had one son complete his elementary education here and my second one is in the 4th grade. I love the bilingual interaction that all students share.

I love this school and so does my kids. The staff and teachers are awesome!

My children LOVE this school. We are fixing to move and when looking at houses thats all they asked was not to move schools. The teachers I have dealt with from K- 3 are awesome. They are very caring and communicate well. They always contact me if there is a question or a concern. The principal and assistant principal are just as caring as the teachers. I love working with all the volunteers at this school as well. This is a school where you can learn, have fun and still be a kid at the same time. I think some of the rules in the cafeteria were a little ridiculous last year but it seems that has changed.

Last modified J A Vitovsky Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.