McClendon Elementary School

Public | 3-5 | 391 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 6, 2014

The faculty and staff members at McClendon Elementary have made a tremendous difference in my child's life. He looks forward to going to school each day because his needs are being met by loving and supportive teachers, an excellent dyslexia intervention program, and cutting edge technology. Way to go, CISD!

Posted March 12, 2009

I went to this school from Kindergarten to my Senior year. It was a blast growing up with all my fellow teachers and students. I have always imagined my children growing up and going to Community because it was such a great school growing up. All the tearchers were nice and willing to help you if you just asked them. Mrs Long's child development class for my dreames of becoming a teacher helped prepare me for some of my parenting skills, but nothing could have prepared me for a baby with dysphagia. Two out of four of my children are going to school now, and I love the idea of opening the MOOSE binder and seeing how well they did in class that day.

Posted June 2, 2008

I went to this school starting in 1st grade and graduated, moved away, but moved back for my son to start K . He is now in 2nd grade and we have had issues every year. My son is a quick learner and is ready to move on to the next lesson. I understand that not all the students learn at the same pace as my son, but the staff has been very inadequate at keeping him challenged and will not give him additional work to keep him busy - so he gets bored and in return starts to talk too much. We have switched to a new teacher in Feb and the difference in teachers has just been amazing. We are now moving to put my son in a 'more challenging' school district. I love his current teacher, but we can't keep her every year.

Posted March 27, 2008

I worked at this school for eight years. This is an bsolutely awesome school. I have not worked here for two years but, have a child in the first grade. I love his teacher and I love the new principal!

Posted February 28, 2008

The teacher student ratio in the classroom for 4th grade is wrong. I know the rooms have over 21 kids in each classroom. This says an average 16 kids per classroom. We haven't been happy with the school this year. In 4th grade we've had teacher issues and some of them not putting forth the effort to help. I was told by one of the teachers she had too much going on and couldn't make the extra time. I asked if they had tutoring and she said it was full. Her option was Friday school. Kids go to the office and work on work they can't get done in class. I'm not sure how much help they have. To me for a struggling student this makes them more discouraged. He needs one on one attention. I'm giving the school one more yr. before we will find another school to go to.

Posted January 3, 2008

Our first year was great. This year the school is over-crowded and it seems the kids aren't getting the help they need. Some of the teachers still have the small town mentality and need to open up to bigger and better things. With the new school opening in Lavon hopefully the classrooms won't be overcrowded, and the kids will get the help they need. Some of the teachers seem over worked and not able to give the extra time some of the kids need. Kids can only get tutoring during school hours during their specials or recess. There is no after school or before school help. The only way you can qualify for tutoring is if you are failing bad. My son had asked for help once and the teacher told him 'ask your parents'. It just may be the grade level my child is in, because last year was great.

Posted October 31, 2007

My son attends here and we've been very pleased with his learning and teachers. I do agree though with some of the others posts that the school district has not kept up with the growth in the area.

Posted May 8, 2007

There are a lot of small town politics in this district.The ladies in the office are friendly at the elementary but I cant say much for the majority.I have never felt 'welcome'.I also do no agree with not being allowed to walk my child to her classroom.I do not feel my child is getting the best education here.The special needs department has been the worst experience with my older child. The teacher did not want to deal with a child that was on a very low level and made noises she felt was irritating.Reg. ed is decen.Special ed is lacking in every way!District revolves around sports,not education.

Posted July 17, 2006

This school was impacted by a Reduction in Force this past year and lost many fine teachers and aides. I feel that the classrooms are becoming crowded. Special programs are being cut back and recess is being limited. This is a difficult time for this district and I would consider other options if possible.

Posted April 20, 2005

This elem school is great for the kids and very safe. I have two main complaints. The staff is not very smiley/friendly. As a parent, I do not feel welcome when at the school. And along this same thought, I rarely get to see my childs work displayed on the walls due to parents not being able to walk in the halls. Yes, I do see the work when it is sent home, but it's nice and informative to see the work displayed with others. Open house is helpful, but that just shows the work done in that time frame. I came from a school district where I walked my children to class every day. I was able to visit with a teacher if necessary, offer help, and see all the work displayed in the halls.

Posted March 1, 2005

I have seen this school district from two perspectives. I have attended school here (highschool) and I have been employed by the district. I have no children, but as a teacher and former student, I am privy to a lot of information and experiences parents don t normally hear and see. The politics and 'good ole boy' mentality are what keep this district alive. I personally do not like the direction the district is headed, being lead by a new leader. The only campus reporting any decent scores is the elementary(rated exemplary), and the changing tides indicate that those high TAKS scores and solid education aren t what the district deems important. I would not recommend this district for a family who values education for the entire course of their child s school years.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 12, 2004

I feel fortunate that my child attends McClendon Elementary. The children are each treated as important people whose needs matter. The teachers consistently tailor curriculum to individual needs. The principals, teachers and staff are top-notch. This does not seem to be 'just a job' to them. They are committed to EACH child's education and welfare. The school's safety measures are reassuring in a time where our children can be vulnerable even at school. The school's rules and procedures are provided to all parents and students, and are enforced fairly and consistently. Through their active volunteer program, I have been able to get to know the teachers and staff well, and am looking forward to my now-preschool-aged child joining their system. They even provide special programs for preschool-aged children (i.e., Preschool Library) to help acclimate them to the school and make sure they see it as a positive place to be.

Posted October 12, 2004

I have three children who have or are currently attending McClendon Elementary School. I have been very pleased with the education they have received. They not only are being educated but they are loved by the staff. I would recommend this school to anyone. As a parent I have been very well informed of their progress and of events occurring at the school.

Posted October 3, 2004

I have substituted at McClendon Elementary for 5 years now and going strong. I love working with the teachers and students at this school. The rules/guidelines are different from other schools I have worked with and better in my opinion. The office staff is friendly and cooperative, the teachers are a great crew, and the principals are motivating. Everyone seems to work together as a team to ensure optimal learning skills, honesty, safety and so much more. I am working towards getting certified and would love to work at this school!
—Submitted by a staff

Posted September 27, 2004

I have 2 children attending McCLendon. There is NO P.T.A . I also do not like the idea that other parents are watching my children and not teachers. Rules change from week to week and if you make an attempt to contact the school regarding your concerns they say 'we'll look into it and get back to you.' I am still waiting to here back from the Asst. princpal. I feel new order is in order. Also your never made aware of the school district meetings. Bottom line they want your children to come to this school and want you to be involved as long as you don't disagree with them. I have tried to communicate with teachers and people in the office and they talk down to you as if your opinion is not important.

Posted February 19, 2004

I have three children in the school district and have been disappointed ever since we moved here a year ago. The secondary schools are acceptable but not exceptional in any area. The elementary school is lacking in all areas except teacher talent. Parents are not kept informed of rules, activities or student progress, and the administration seems to discourage any type of parent involvement. If a personal, 'small town' feel is what you are looking for, it would be best to keep looking.

Posted January 6, 2004

My son is a special needs child. This school was completely unprepared for a child with special needs. Instead of finding or developing appropriate and stimulating activities for my son, they let him watch TV and listen to music all day, completely isolated from all 'normal' students. This sort of thing went on for about 3 years, even after trying to work it out. I have heard negative things about the regular ed as well but I can not advise, as I have not had a regular ed student in any grade.

Posted October 12, 2003

For the 4 yrs we've been with McClendon Elem, I have continued to have bad experiences overall, with teachers, with inconsistent rules, with lack of communication regarding how my child is doing in school. I find this leadership lacking tremendously. I do my best to be involved. I write notes, I schedule conferences but with a small town comes small town politics and who you are is what is important. I am not pleased at all with this school system so far and I only hope that as my child gets older and as my younger children enter the CISD that many changes are made.

Posted October 9, 2003

In my opinion from what I have been involved in I think this school does an excellent job. The teachers really try their best to help our children succeed and do a good job of letting the parents know how their children are doing.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

67 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

67 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

66 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

75 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

73 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students89%

Not special education82%
Proficient in English83%
Non-migrant81%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students63%

Proficient in English75%
Non-migrant70%
Non-Gifted68%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian 0% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Mrs Tracy Burk
Fax number
  • (972) 843-8410

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now