North Richland Hills, TX

North Ridge Elementary School 3

Posted May 01, 2014
The faculty/staff are really friendly and helpful and seem to take the time out to get to know you and your children. I agree that the PTA can be a little clique-ish and most have been in their position for 10 years or more. However, I wouldn't say that it was in a way that was snobby or condescending to new moms just more familiar with the more veteran moms so I can see how it would make some feel left out. Mrs. Coulson (the principal) is really great and hands on. She makes sure to take time out to get to know her students and their challenges. The children also go on many field trips and have many events to supplement what their learning in class, which, at times, can become a little costly especially if you have multiple children. My main issue is the lack of homework and challenge in regards to education for the K and 1st graders. On their report cards, they receive M's for "met standard", P's for "progressing toward standard", and NP's for "not progressing". It doesn't really leave much room for analysis. Also, my child will be in 2nd grade in a few months and hasn't learned what I think he should be learning at this point as there is barely any homework daily.

Posted November 23, 2013
My child attends North Ridge through the open enrollment program. I have been so pleased with that decision every year. All the teachers he has had are friendly, nurturing, organized, consistent, and encouraging. This year his teacher sends home a weekly newsletter, which I appreciate. When I emailed her that I was concerned he was struggling in a certain area, she sent home supplemental work to help him that same day. There are so many ways for parents to get involved if you want to be involved. It is an all-around positive learning environment and we have had nothing but good experiences there so far.

Posted November 12, 2013
This is a 5 star school. We attend North Ridge ES (NRES), by choice, through the Birdville ISD Open Enrollment program. Our children have been here for 4 years. When we set out to find a school better suited to the advanced academic needs of our children, NRES was the obvious choice and continues to be. Folks that want to volunteer to help at our school are ALWAYS welcome! I know from personal experience. Additionally, our PTA board is comprised of people that GIVE their time to help others and they do a FABULOUS job...even when there aren't enough volunteers to help. The school staff is top-notch, as well. If you're looking for a great school, come visit NRES on any day and decide for yourself. That's what we did. :)

North Ridge Elementary School 3

Posted October 29, 2013
It seems funny to me that there seems to be a slurry of activity about how great the PTA is in the recent few days. It seems almost as if a few members decided to get on and write a bunch of praises to offset the truth. The school IS a great school with some really good teachers and a great principal who cares. However, the PTA is still run by the same people over and over and they are "uppity" as another parent put it. The PTA does know about the problems that exist but they would rather post comments about how great they are instead of fixing any issues. No, teachers have never turned away help but really it does seem to be better off volunteering at school without participating in PTA. It is one of the best schools in the district. Don't let the PTA scare you away.

Posted October 21, 2013
It makes me very sad to hear some of the below comments regarding the PTA. The board consists of some wonderful parents and teachers who only want the best for their children and our wonderful school. There are many volunteer opportunities at North Ridge that do not involve the PTA. I have been at this school for a few years and I have never seen a teacher turn away a parent who was willing to help. If somebody feels they have been overlooked for a PTA volunteer opportunity, perhaps, they should visit with a board member and express your concerns. The PTA board can not fix something if they don't know its broke.

North Ridge Elementary School 1

Posted October 19, 2013
I have children at this school and I find the recent comments laughable. They do have "some" wonderful teachers and programs there as most schools do. But as I read the comments I realize the schools PTA has never been friendly and I suspect these recent comments are from top board members. This isn't a febreeze commercial, a sweet comment will not cover up the true contents of the school. I say if the PTA is so concerned then they should "Be the change they want to see in their school."

Posted October 18, 2013
This is the most amazing elementary School in BISD. The faculty, staff and administration are professional, friendly and care for our kids on a deep and personal level. I have numbers of volunteer hours and have NEVER felt unwanted, respected and unappreciated. On top of all this, the new Principal is outstanding and a respected, rising star in BISD and the Texas education system. We are blessed to have her as our leader.

Posted October 18, 2013
I was really surprised by some of the negative reviews here. We chose NRE because we had heard so much about it being family friendly and a great place to get involved. We came here three years ago and only knew a few people, but have had no problem jumping in to school activities. I got to be room mom the first year we were here (kindergarten) despite not knowing a lot of people. Both my husband and I have loved having our child there and loved being a part of the community of NRE. I did not know a lot of the PTA Board in years past, but when I heard they needed help this year I joined and have been warmly welcomed and included. Every teacher we have encountered (our teachers, plus specialty teachers and even subs) have been amazing and have truly blessed our child and our family. I would (and do!) recommend our school to anyone who is looking for a great school where their entire family can be involved!

Posted October 18, 2013
I have been fortunate to teach at North Ridge Elementary for many years and have had the best parent participation in all my events. I have also served on the PTA board because I enjoy knowing what goes on through all aspects of the school community. We have an amazing staff and I am excited about our new principal who is bringing lots of enthusiasm and tradition back to North Ridge. Our Watch Dog Dad program is also amazing. We have dads who come every week to volunteer in the classrooms, cafeteria and anywhere else they are needed. Everyone is made to feel important at North Ridge Elementary and we appreciate all our volunteers.

Posted October 17, 2013
We love North Ridge! I've been around Birdville for years as a student, parent, and an educator. We are very particular about where our kids go to school, and that's one reason we landed at North Ridge. We're impressed with the staff, the facility, and the overall environment. Birdville is an awesome ISD, and North Ridge is an awesome school!

North Ridge Elementary School
7331 Holiday Lane East, North Richland Hills, TX  76180
Last modified North Ridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
North Ridge Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top