Pasadena Memorial High School

Public | 9-12 | 2961 students

Posted August 20, 2014

The school has it's good points and bad points. I was a student here a few years back. The positive is that there is plenty of opportunity to be involved. The clubs and activities are really great and Drama and Dance are a blast. However, there is a HUGE difference between AP and average classes you should know about. The AP teachers are incredibly rude and harsh. I was yelled at the first day because nobody had informed me that I would be placed in AP English, and I was the only one without the summer homework. The teacher was harsh and uncaring towards me in particular, from then on. The AP History teacher was a little bit better, but was given to fits of screaming rage. I couldn't handle it after a while. The regular history class was even more of a shock. All the books were crumbling apart. The class was constantly in an uproar. We never learned a single thing and the only grades in the class were for "busy-work". This is literally copying answers from a book, filling in blanks on a worksheet and turning it in. Half of the class couldn't handle that much- the serious students were left on their own. The teacher was mostly a referee.

Posted November 14, 2013

As a product from this HS, I felt like the teachers didn't care if we walked out of there with an education. The student body either doesn't want to learn, is forced to be there via parole, doesn't speak English, or is there to learn but the quality of education is below average. Everyone should be receiving an above average education, being college ready as soon as walking out of there, but the education I got only held me behind, but because I had a job and multiple extra curricular activities, I couldn't keep up with AP's and was put in regular classes where they teach you how to pass state tests, but nothing to further your education and make you a well rounded person. You get teachers who get paid little to nothing and have no passion in actually teaching. Honestly, its the best school in the Pasadena district, but I wish there was a place where students could go if they were truly seeking a better than average education.

Posted September 23, 2010

The administrators and the teachers are better than any school in the area! We are proud to be Mavericks!!!

Posted August 27, 2010

I am a current student here in this high school and from what I have experienced during my time here, it's pretty much been hard. First of all, the school is overpopulated by over 2000+ students, meaning getting to class is a struggle especially when heading to the second floor. The teachers I have are kind, but once the parents are out of the room, the rest of the faculty are quite rude. Some of the AP classes aren't cut out for students who are transferring from a different school. Often times, the teachers will refer to many of the students' from the previous year and will puzzle students who came from different teachers. So if you're going to transfer in, I suggest a normal class then? Unless, of course, you're up for the challenge, then much luck to you.

Posted November 5, 2009

Im a former student there and now live in the other side of the state. its sad i left so many wonderful teachers and friends. I play football for another coach but snelson was the best. I Strongly recommend this school to any parent. you son/daughter would love this school. i guarantee it.

Posted October 20, 2009

Last year my daughter graduated from PMHS. Her experience there was wonderful. PMHS is a well rounded school that puts their children first in every aspect! My son is a Junior at PMHS and he's doing wonderfully there. I am extremely happy with my choice of sending my children to PMHS. They will have life long memories of a exciting high school experience!

Posted October 9, 2009

My child attended this school and at the beginning it seemed to be the best place considering our choices. The Principal was an amazing lady who I felt was very involved with the sports aspect of the school. Their choir program was good, their band program was above average and their theatre arts was a great program until they let a wonderful teacher get away from them. I applaud whoever was able to hire him away from PMHS. As far as their cheerleading, it was above average, but their drill team in my opinion was below average. You would think with the demographics of PMHS that they would have a better drill team. If your student isn't in AP I wouldn't look for them to be ready for a 4 yr. University right out of the gate!

Posted August 2, 2009

I am a previous student at PMHS an sadly had to move out of state at the end of my 11th grade year. In the years spent at PMHS I learned alot from the great teaches,laughed with many great friends, and realized how much the administrators did for the students as far as safety and are. Now ending my High School career in another location, though saddened I am not there, I can still look back on what a great school it was.

Posted July 21, 2009

This is the best school I could have ever chosen for my child.

Posted February 27, 2009

I currently attend PMHS and from my experience, it is not as wonderful as it sounds. Yes, the academics are great, but the attitudes are not. The main priority here is the TAKS test. Nothing else seems to matter to the teachers more. The fact of the matter is, the students know the material, they just don't care. They don't care because the teachers don't care about anything except making themselves look good. Don't get me wrong, a select few teachers do care, and those are the favored ones. Yes our ratings are wonderful, but talk to people and investigate thoroughly before sending your child here.

Posted January 14, 2009

I attend here, and let me be the first to say- it is not all it is cracked up to be. The teachers are somewhat rude, uncaring for the students' well-being, and they seem to care more about us making an okay grade than actually teaching the curriculum to us. I am taking classes that are a grade level ahead of what I should be doing, and the teachers look down on me (and not in the good way) because I am younger than all the rest. Granted, it's not 'ghetto' but they are all preppy snobs there. If your child is unique and individual and they care about expressing themselves, keep them away from this school. PMHS has a very little appreciation of the arts, and the students are...well...mean.

Posted August 24, 2008

This school has the best teachers.Also have really good test scores.

Posted June 16, 2008

I just recently graduated from this school and it was a good time the teachers and administers were nice and caring and kind and strict to the ones who were rude.

Posted June 12, 2008

I attended PMHS and graduated in '08. This is a great school from it's fine arts, to athletics, to academics. I played varsity football for two years and the coaches are amazing. I was in the varsity orchestra and personally know both the band and orchestra dicectors. Both work hard and are very good at their job. I took several AP courses and the standards are very high for those who are willing to challenge themselves. I would want my child to go to this school.

Posted March 17, 2007

This school has been a big disappointment from the construction to the education. It will probably be fine for kids with changing demographics. Its so-called outstanding English, Math, Science programs dramatically deteriorated while my child was here, so that it is at best mediocre currently. P.I.S.D. starts the school year teaching the TASK Test and when it is over so is the teaching. I can recommend it only in contrast to most of the other public schools in P.I.S.D.

Posted January 10, 2006

Mrs.Smith is a great leader for this school and she has done a wonderful job in making this school a great place for the kids to get an education and enjoy doing it.

Posted August 17, 2005

Not only is this a beautiful school, but it is a great school! I love how all the parents get together and support all the extracurricular activities! The parents are so involved with their children, its so different from many other schools! The principal, where to start, she is great! Mrs. Smith is so great, my younger sister goes to this school and i know the principal personally! She is at all the extracurricular activities. So overall I would give this school a perfect score!

Posted July 31, 2005

I just love Pasadena Memorial High School. Mrs. Smith cares so much about her students and is highly involved with our extra activities. The teachers are also great. They take time out of their busy life and help us if we need some more assitance.

Posted September 22, 2004

Great Brand New School. Lots of parent teacher involvment. Principal is very involved with many organizations. Good to the students. She (I think) lives in Pasadena, therefore, is more apt to make sure things run soomthly. Classes are filling up, even though school's only been open for a year. We need the new bond to pass, so that we can get add't funds for new builds.

Posted September 5, 2004

This is a beautiful High School, and we are very lucky to have this school in our community. I will have 2 other children attending over the next couple of years. My biggest complaint is [the] inability to give the newcomers (with past discipline problems) a fair chance. The presence of on-site district police is a huge plus and will prevent any major disruptions.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

725 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

727 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

675 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

669 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

674 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

670 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

642 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

644 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

639 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

643 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students96%

Economically disadvantaged98%
Special education83%
Limited English proficient (LEP)90%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

610 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

740 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

485 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

807 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

817 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

623 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

632 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

605 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

756 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

622 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4410 Crenshaw Road