Vanguard Academy

Charter | PK-12 | 1295 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 9, 2013

So my child started prek this year at vanguard and is half way through i love how his teacher is very sweet and lets parents know everyday how their child did in class.Yes my son had a lil problem in the beginning with one student but i immediatley told the teacher and it was corrected theres going to be bullying everywhere but at least this school is more one to one with kids not as a regular public school. I dont regret my decision because everyday my son looks forward to going to school he loves it that's because he was never away from me never in a daycare or headstart. I also love that they have a little prayer before they eat it gives them a chance to be thankful for what they have and yes field trips parents either pay full or join in the fundraiser but i also dont mind that at all because i believe my son will have a better advantage at his education. As by far i have no complaints seeing my son happy makes me happy and as parents thats all we want!!!

Posted November 26, 2012

I'm not sure if the poster of Dec 14, 2011 is a parent or teacher because her posts speaks from both forums. But I want to speak about my personal experience of Vanguard. Regarding Bullying, my son experienced it as well. On a very LOW key (compare to regular public school). It was handled IMMEDIATELY. I got a call by 10 am that it had been diffused and that the parents of the other child had been notified as well. Never had another incident after that. I am glad they are VERY proactive. Regarding Suspension, I can attest that is untrue. I transferred my children from Covenant Christian Academy where they hand out suspensions like water bottles. The principals at Vanguard take many many measures BEFORE issuing a suspension. Lastly, yes it does not receive all the funding of a regular public school. So I have to do fundraising (or pay 100% myself) for my children to attend a field trip. Big deal!!!! I would rather they NOT have gang issues, bullying issues and drug issues like the other schools. I don't mind the small insignificant "inconveniences" to assure my kids get an ABOVE average education. They are highly academically challenged! I LOVE Vanguard!!!

Posted August 25, 2012

My daughter completed her first year at Vanguard and she absolutely loves this school. My daughter is recieving a quality education at this school. My nephew transferred from Harvest (private school in Mcallen), and he said that the curriculum at Vanguard was much more challenging than Harvest and Central Christian. There is homework Monday-Thursday, so be prepared to invest time working with your child. It is a great school and my daughter and I couldn't be happier.

Posted March 5, 2012

My little brother attends Vanguard Academy and he loves it there he's been attending this school for about 3 years now and he couldn't be happier, Vanguard offers many activities aside from the academic it's great. My little brother says this school challenges him to do his best and that he actually learns something new every day.

Posted February 7, 2012

Vanguard is great! Every aspect of this school is ten times better than any other school. It takes a good leader to have a great school and that is obvious at Vanguard. We have been a part of the Vanguard family for over five years and never have experienced anything remotely close to what upset parent is posting (Dec. 14.) There are two sides to every story....makes me wonder. LOVE VANGUARD:)

Posted December 14, 2011

Principal leadership is horrible. The principal doesn't hold herself nor her staff accountable. She is quick to suspend children as young as 4yrs old for ridiculous things. There is no counselor at this school because they cannot afford one. There is a major lack of understanding and professionalism with much of the staff - administration mostly. They claim to not tolerate bullying, but my child has been bullied repeatedly and when I complained to both Teacher and principal about it, nothing was done. I was pretty much made to feel by the teacher that my child was lying about these incidents because she didn't witness them herself. If you are truly considering sending your child here, I would reconsider - it's not what it appears to be. I will be withdrawing my child next semester. This is not a federally funded school, so be prepared to pay for everything - there will be a barrage of fund raisers and if you choose not to participate, you will still be held responsible for events such as field trips for $50 worth. When school supply shopping, you'll be asked to provide OFFICE SUPPLIES as well.

Posted July 20, 2011

I once was a student here and all I have to say is that if you son/daughter isn't charismatic they wont use them for any thing.

Posted June 25, 2011

I was once a student there. And I believe that it is the most spontaneous academic school I have attended. It will keep your child fully enjoyed with the academic lessons and events that occur in that academic school. I guarentee to all you parents out there, you will be blown away by how much your child/children will achieve in just days by just attending Vanguard Academy.

Posted March 20, 2011

I'm sorry to hear that the parent of the review posted february 16, 2011 doesn't feel that the students in Vanguard are not challenged academically. However, I have to disagree. My children attended Vanguard. My daughter who is a special needs child, was challegened academically, and being a junior in high school (at the time vanguard did not have upper high school grades) is now enrolled in AP classes. My son, who is dyslexic, was also challegened academically, and being a freshman, he also has AP classes. So, yes, VACS does challege all students to exceed academically. Also, the charter school does not teach to test as most public schools do.

Posted March 18, 2011

My children LOVE VANGUARD ACADEMY!! I was very unhappy with the public school atmosphere and all I can say is I am so Blessed to have them here.. I recommened this school 100%.. ; )

Posted February 25, 2011

Vanguard Academy is the most AWESOME school ever. I have four children and they all are a part of VACS. We are so blessed with all the faculty and staff of Vanguard Academy. The school has come a very long way and I am very satisfied with what they have accomplished with what they have been given.

Posted February 16, 2011

I have to say that this school is definately better than a public school. My child has attended VA for 3 years. Prayer is still accepted and the principal is very curteous, however I feel that she lacks the leadership skills and tact when dealing with issues. She is quick to brush off the responsibility and hold her staff directly accountable when the miscommunication tends to be on her behalf. All the teachers my daughter has had were very respectful and available when I needed to meet with them, but there never fails to be obvious favoritism toward students. Issues among student peers tend to go unnoticed and I fear it may be due to lack of observation on the teachers part or lack of supervision. If your child is advanced they will not excell here as classes are not divided by academic abilities. Creatively the children are challenged and exposed to the arts including drawing, painting, music, gymnastics, karate etc, but I feel they should be challenged just as much academically.

Posted May 26, 2010

This is my daughter's first year in this school and I like their challenging academic programs as well as developing their students God given talents and creativity. My daughter loves all her teachers except one that gives them a lot of work to do so she can spend more time in the computer and texting rather than teaching.. I hope this teacher will improve because students are very observative and they need a role model to look up to. Overall, I like this school.

Posted April 26, 2010

Vanguard has grown in numbers in the last few years. However it needs to improve in the number of computers per classroom definitely a library and participate in UIL competitions. GT students need to have a little more rigor in the curriculum with a more hands on approach such as developing products, creating a newsletter, researching a topic and just overall 'thinking outside of the box' Less time she be spent on TAKS only preperation.

Posted March 14, 2010

After attending a private school for four years, we transferred my son to Vanguard and were just as happy there. He attended Vanguard for 5 years. We were very pleased with the atmosphere and faculty who were all a positive influence. I have passed by the school and it is growing by leaps and bounds! I am so happy for them. My hope is that Vanguard will blossom into a full, well-rounded high school. It is Pharr's best-kept secret.

Posted September 24, 2009

thats not ture each teacher has 20 to 25 children there makimg vanguard to very pretty its not

Posted September 22, 2009

The After School Arts Program has been a real blessing to me... where else can a child remain at a place where they feel safe and be allowed to stay until my work day is over. All the while, they learn karate, gymnastics, choir, art and more. I feel like I'm sending my children to one of those fancy private schools- the kind that many families, like mine, just can't afford. Vanguard is a fantastic school with great teachers, great academics, piano & dance classes. Most of all a safe learning environment for my children. The punch line is that this is a public school! I have to pinch myself when I realize that this is available to my kids! Thank you Vanguard & thank you Mr. Olivarez for what you do for my kids everyday!

Posted August 21, 2009

I went to this school, I am now in High School. It was great the teachers were awesome and it gave us a religious experience as well. Great school, send your child
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 12, 2009

Vanguard Academy is a school that nurtures children, encourages good citizenship, embraces prayer in school, provides excellent educational opportunities, allows creative expression, and is generally a dream-come-true for my children. My oldest son is somewhat socially akward; however, he has truly blossomed at V.A. Unlike in most public schools, there is no tension between educators and administration, and teachers are young, idealistic, and absolutely love the children they have in their classes. The atmosphere at the school becomes obvious the minute you step into the school building - peace, acceptance, and love. Kudos to all those involved in the planning and implementation for educational and artistic programing.

Posted August 3, 2009

My children attend Vanguard Academy and have for 7 years I am sooo. glad I found this school for my kids. They all have preformed above and beyond my expectations. My daughter is going to 7th grade next year and has had all A's since the 2nd grade, my two boys, one going to 5th grade and the other is going to Kindergarten. My sons have also had very good grades. I would like to say that this is a school of choice and I choose to have my kids at VA. Public schools now a days are not safe for your chid to learn . Our teachers and staff are the BEST and you don't have to kiss up to have your child recognized. Your childs actions are what make them stand out in the crowd. Our staff does so much they are what make VA the great school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

104 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

104 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

110 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

110 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

23 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

23 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students63%

Non-Gifted88%

All Students100%

All Students100%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian 0% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Narciso M Garcia
Fax number
  • (956) 702-2180

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1200 E Kelly