Public charter
Pharr, TX
Students enrolled: 1,182

Vanguard Academy 2

Posted June 24, 2014
Not what I expected. First year was ok. Second year was horrible!! Two of my children's Teachers were mean with them and very disrespectful with us the parents. Talked about it to the principal and she said It was TRUE!!! That this issue was out of her control!!!! The teachers' behavior was nothing new for her. OMG!!!

Vanguard Academy 4

Posted January 09, 2013
So my child started prek this year at vanguard and is half way through i love how his teacher is very sweet and lets parents know everyday how their child did in class.Yes my son had a lil problem in the beginning with one student but i immediatley told the teacher and it was corrected theres going to be bullying everywhere but at least this school is more one to one with kids not as a regular public school. I dont regret my decision because everyday my son looks forward to going to school he loves it that's because he was never away from me never in a daycare or headstart. I also love that they have a little prayer before they eat it gives them a chance to be thankful for what they have and yes field trips parents either pay full or join in the fundraiser but i also dont mind that at all because i believe my son will have a better advantage at his education. As by far i have no complaints seeing my son happy makes me happy and as parents thats all we want!!!

Posted November 26, 2012
I'm not sure if the poster of Dec 14, 2011 is a parent or teacher because her posts speaks from both forums. But I want to speak about my personal experience of Vanguard. Regarding Bullying, my son experienced it as well. On a very LOW key (compare to regular public school). It was handled IMMEDIATELY. I got a call by 10 am that it had been diffused and that the parents of the other child had been notified as well. Never had another incident after that. I am glad they are VERY proactive. Regarding Suspension, I can attest that is untrue. I transferred my children from Covenant Christian Academy where they hand out suspensions like water bottles. The principals at Vanguard take many many measures BEFORE issuing a suspension. Lastly, yes it does not receive all the funding of a regular public school. So I have to do fundraising (or pay 100% myself) for my children to attend a field trip. Big deal!!!! I would rather they NOT have gang issues, bullying issues and drug issues like the other schools. I don't mind the small insignificant "inconveniences" to assure my kids get an ABOVE average education. They are highly academically challenged! I LOVE Vanguard!!!

Posted August 25, 2012
My daughter completed her first year at Vanguard and she absolutely loves this school. My daughter is recieving a quality education at this school. My nephew transferred from Harvest (private school in Mcallen), and he said that the curriculum at Vanguard was much more challenging than Harvest and Central Christian. There is homework Monday-Thursday, so be prepared to invest time working with your child. It is a great school and my daughter and I couldn't be happier.

Posted March 05, 2012
My little brother attends Vanguard Academy and he loves it there he's been attending this school for about 3 years now and he couldn't be happier, Vanguard offers many activities aside from the academic it's great. My little brother says this school challenges him to do his best and that he actually learns something new every day.

Posted February 07, 2012
Vanguard is great! Every aspect of this school is ten times better than any other school. It takes a good leader to have a great school and that is obvious at Vanguard. We have been a part of the Vanguard family for over five years and never have experienced anything remotely close to what upset parent is posting (Dec. 14.) There are two sides to every story....makes me wonder. LOVE VANGUARD:)

Vanguard Academy 1

Posted December 14, 2011
Principal leadership is horrible. The principal doesn't hold herself nor her staff accountable. She is quick to suspend children as young as 4yrs old for ridiculous things. There is no counselor at this school because they cannot afford one. There is a major lack of understanding and professionalism with much of the staff - administration mostly. They claim to not tolerate bullying, but my child has been bullied repeatedly and when I complained to both Teacher and principal about it, nothing was done. I was pretty much made to feel by the teacher that my child was lying about these incidents because she didn't witness them herself. If you are truly considering sending your child here, I would reconsider - it's not what it appears to be. I will be withdrawing my child next semester. This is not a federally funded school, so be prepared to pay for everything - there will be a barrage of fund raisers and if you choose not to participate, you will still be held responsible for events such as field trips for $50 worth. When school supply shopping, you'll be asked to provide OFFICE SUPPLIES as well.

Vanguard Academy 1

Posted July 20, 2011
I once was a student here and all I have to say is that if you son/daughter isn't charismatic they wont use them for any thing.

Posted June 25, 2011
I was once a student there. And I believe that it is the most spontaneous academic school I have attended. It will keep your child fully enjoyed with the academic lessons and events that occur in that academic school. I guarentee to all you parents out there, you will be blown away by how much your child/children will achieve in just days by just attending Vanguard Academy.

Posted March 20, 2011
I'm sorry to hear that the parent of the review posted february 16, 2011 doesn't feel that the students in Vanguard are not challenged academically. However, I have to disagree. My children attended Vanguard. My daughter who is a special needs child, was challegened academically, and being a junior in high school (at the time vanguard did not have upper high school grades) is now enrolled in AP classes. My son, who is dyslexic, was also challegened academically, and being a freshman, he also has AP classes. So, yes, VACS does challege all students to exceed academically. Also, the charter school does not teach to test as most public schools do.

Vanguard Academy
1200 East Kelly Avenue, Pharr, TX  78577
Last modified Vanguard Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Vanguard Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top