Plano, TX
After care: No
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

My wife and I began Willow Bend Academy in the summer of 1998 in our dining room. We had 6 students for summer school. In the fall of that year, we opened with only 2 students, but grew to 40 by year's end. The school has been accredited for 13 years by Southern Association of Colleges and Schools/AdvancEd.
January 6, 2015

Posted January 13, 2015
This school is pretty small, but a small school does not mean a small education. The atmosphere of this school is very familiar. This school has a morning class and an afternoon class, and students choose whichever they would like to join. The school time is about 4 hours, meaning the students can have a lot of free time for self-development. The unique thing this school has is that the students in this school can take tests whenever they are ready. If a student wants to graduate early and go to college, he or she can simply study a lot and take tests. The class size is small and I think there is only a little academic competition between the students. However, the students in WBA are able to have much longer time asking the teachers for help, meaning the students do not really have to hire personal tutors. Also, all the teachers in WBA are dedicated to helping the students. They are always, always, and always" willing to help the students. I hope you readers consider this school when you choose the school you will go to. I especially recommend this school to those who need personal time and those who need special care from teachers.

Posted January 13, 2015
Being in Willow Bend Academy (WBA) is such a great thing in my life. Our school s motto is Master learning Master life. Not only studying subjects, but I also learn lessons about life, about how to become a better person. The special thing about WBA is each student has his own pace to study. I can study without distraction and bothering others. I feel comfortable when I study because I don t need to run from class to class every time. I love this school so much and I m really proud to be a part of it. -Misa Nguyen-

Posted January 07, 2015
Willow Bend Academy is a small private school. The school accepts students at all ability levels and with varying academic goals. Willow Bend Academy offers a Home Study program for those students who desire to work at home. This is not traditional home schooling. The students complete work, as directed by the teachers, at home on their own schedule, and they come to school for testing. The workload and requirements are the same as students who attend class daily. The Home Study students have the benefit of one-on-one tutoring from a teacher. While these students represent a very small percentage of Willow Bend Academy s student body, the Home Study program is advantageous for the students who prefer to learn and work more independently. However, unlike home schooling, these students receive the support, guidance, and assistance of a teacher, while attending an accredited school. Additionally, the freedom of managing one s own academic time allows students the ability to schedule other activities or interests into their day, including sports, music, or college courses.

Posted January 07, 2015
I have a 6th grade daughter at WBA. We wanted her to start middle school in an environment that would maximize her strengths (Eng/Reading) and improve her growth areas (Math). We found that place! WBA has been a great fit for us. We love the small class sizes (8-1) and increased teacher time she gets each day. The self paced instruction lets her take more time on the subjects she needs to, and move faster in the areas she has already mastered. I would recommend WBA with 10 stars but it only let me choose 5.

Posted January 06, 2015
If you are looking for a school where people really care, then Willow Bend Academy is the school for your child. Every student is IMPORTANT here. The student/teacher ratio is 8 students per teacher. Each students moves at their own pace. Teachers go out of their way to assist each student in the best way for them to learn/master the material. I have even seem some staff members go out of their way to get the right curriculum to fit a particular student.

Posted December 15, 2014
As a parent, special education/resource instructor and a host family I can speak to all facets of Willow Bend Academy. When I found this school I was looking for a school for my daughter who was a gymnast. We needed a program that would fulfill her high school needs and provide her gymnastics career as well. We found this school to be the perfect fit. She has been able to work at her own pace with instructor guidance in goal setting, academics and life skills. This school is not for every student but the individualized assistance provided to each student is perfect for those who have learning differences or who need a specialized schedule. This school does have the great experience of having international students as well as American students. The cultural lessons learned by all students is a plus I didn t plan on. We have been here 3 years (beginning in 9th grade). My daughter will graduate this year in May.

Posted July 03, 2014
The review about Willow Bend Academy being a testing center for home school is incorrect. Willow Bend Academy does have students who complete assignments at home, but assignments are made by the faculty, with periodic individual tutoring and students take tests only on material taught by the school's faculty. While students occupy cubicles, teachers are NOT there just to answer questions. Each teacher has 8 students and the group is much like a family with the teacher teaching (1 to 1), coaching, assisting, and counseling. Students often NEED the individual attention, while others have special scheduling needs that are best served by Willow Bend Academy. One of my children and two grandchildren have benefitted from the program - all for different reasons.

Willow Bend Academy 3

Posted June 16, 2014
A specialist establishment which caters to homeschoolers looking for a testing center, foreign students who need a high school education to subsequently go to tertiary education and apparently any student who needs more individual attention. Currently about 100 students in total, about half are homeschoolers. The other half come in daily for half days, morning or afternoon. The school in Plano is in a shopping precinct and the inside is a cubicle farm. This apparently allows focussed study from worksheets. A teacher is present to answer one on one questions. It doesn't appear to be like a traditional development school. It appears more to be run like a transactional business. I was a prospective parent. I'm not giving a rating, just laying out some facts. Given average since it is required.

Posted November 26, 2013
Willow Bend is an incredible school. Willow Bend has helped our child heal after being bullied at a previous school. The love he has received has been tremendous! This school has helped him build his confidence and character. Our prayer is that Willow Bend will continue to grow as it is beyond what we ever thought. The teachers genuinely care about everyone. Even if your child thinks outside the box and is not a cookie cutter kid, everyone is nice and bullying is unacceptable. He is not only receiving a great education, but also being taught great characteristic qualities towards other people.

Posted April 22, 2013
My daughter is finishing her 3rd year at Willow Bend. She is an accelerated student, self motivated and makes straight A's. We love the teachers and staff at WBA. They CARE - they meet each student where they are and help them excel. I will never do public school again! Not every child fits in the same mold and the instruction here is preparing my daughter for college while giving her the focus and one on one instruction to make her extremely successful in all her studies. She is set to graduate a full year ahead based on their self paced structure.

Willow Bend Academy