Posted September 04, 2014
With the use of technology (Chromebooks, Google classroom, Symbaloo, Quizlet,... ), I must say that we never had so much fun assisting our son with his homework. The math games were really fun. My son and I had a competition, who would get the answer the quickest. I never thought doing math homework could be so much fun. The Quizlet is awesome! Our son was so happy when he beat his teacher's score at the Social Studies Vocabulary. It's so refreshing to see our son having so much fun doing his homework! Everyone at GLA goes above and beyond to make learning fun for our kids. We're so fortunate to have access to such a great school. Kudos GLA!

Posted February 05, 2014
Great Lakes Academy utilizes small class sizes (maximum 10 students) and well trained teachers who understand our students learning differences. They use various teaching methods and individualize for their students. There is a great sense of community and it's been wonderful to be able to interact with other like-minded parents. My child's experience was so positive and he has done extremely well upon his graduation. I give all of the credit to this amazing school.

Posted November 28, 2013
I've been impressed by the personal attention my daughter has received and that they focus on those that fit their mission rather than increasing enrollment. I could not be happier with the way that they have really attempted and succeeded in caring for her and her education.

Posted November 19, 2013
If we had to sum up Great Lakes Academy in one word, it would be AMAZING! We have 2 boys at GLA, a 7th grader and a 3rd grader. GLA has changed the way our boys view school. They both sturggled so much with school in the past and now they love going to school! We love the fact that GLA celebrates each student's differences in a fun, loving, safe environment. If you are looking for an awesome school where learning differences are celebrated, this is the school for you:)

Posted November 14, 2013
I could write a book about all I love about this school. But a short version: if your child is struggling &you dream of a place where they will be treated with respect &be with their peers &form true friendships with other kind children then you must visit Great Lakes. From my first visit at the school I felt a peace inside myself where there had been so much worry. My son went from dreading &fearing school to loving it. He went from no friends to many friends. He is invited to birthday parties &no one is mean to him on the playground. His teacher understands him &knows if he zones out he isn t being bad, she knows how to help him focus in a kind way. Class sizes are so small that the kids truly learn each lesson, nothing is skimmed over. My son loves that he will be at GLA through 12th grade. I love this school. Our kids are special &beautiful, to find a school that understands that, from admin to principal to each teacher is such a gift. I have gone from dropping my son off, shoulders slumped at public school with a stressful, sad feeling in my stomach to dropping off a very happy boy at Great Lakes & leaving with a peace that I never knew was possible.

Posted November 13, 2013
Our daughter has been at Great Lakes Academy for the past 8 years and I can't say enough about this wonderful school and it's team of super-dedicated and highly talented teachers and staff. After our daughter was diagnosed with high-functioning autism, we looked long and hard to find a state-accredited school that would embrace her strengths and help her develop weaker areas. We found this and so much more in Great Lakes Academy. The teachers and administrators "get" our kiddo and they are masterful in coming up with creative ways to advance her academic and social progress. At GLA you'll find a strong curriculum; excellent use of technology in the classroom; fantastic field trip program; warm, family atmosphere; low teacher/student ratio; and a group of truly A-caliber educators. Highly, highly recommended!!!

Posted September 02, 2013
Our daughter is starting her second year at Great Lakes Academy. We live in Plano -- which has excellent public schools. The public school staff was wonderful, but the system was not meeting our daughter's needs. . I questioned whether any private school would be worth the tuition paid.. I wondered if a different kind of school could make any real measurable difference. The answer was a definite YES.. The GLA educational experience has been above and beyond all our expectations. We are grateful to have found such a place.

Posted April 22, 2013
Our son has attended Great Lakes Academy since the 3rd grade, and is now in 7th! He has always loved this school since day one. The teachers, Principal, Executive Director and the entire Administrative team are awesome. They go above and beyond the call of duty! :) The best thing for a parent that has a child that attends Great Lakes Academy, is that you can drop off your kid every day at school and know they will be in good hands. You can drive away with out worry. You can leave with peace of mind. That in itself is worth a million bucks! We will forever love Great Lakes and what they have done for our son.

Posted December 12, 2012
We have been attending the school for the past 5 years. Student:Teacher ratio at most has been 10:1 in the classroom (averaging 1:6). Low level of homework is sent home due to this ratio (less lecture and more interaction/indvidualized instruction). Great use of technology in the classroom. All of the teachers/administrators know the students/parents. All activities are inclusive. Great Lakes provides a safe environment in and outside the classroom - it provides opportunities for all kids to participate at their comfort level

Posted December 11, 2012
Great Lakes Academy is a fantastic private school for parents looking for an above average school that takes care of their kids. Parents who have had less than pleasant experiences in other schools would love GLA and the way they address these issues or handle our kids. My son has been here thru his high school years and he loved the whole experience. GLA works with our kids towards their individual needs and ensures the kids get a good education and are ready for college. We are extremely happy to have found GLA at the right time for our son.

Great Lakes Academy