1-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

After a frustrating and disappointing 5th and early 6th grade in PS, we have found a wonderful and supporting environment at GLA. My grandson has several learning differences and despite 504 meetings and conferences the teachers were not helpful and were doing more harm than good. Since we are at GLA, my grandson loves attending school. There is no fight over homework, mostly because he knows what is expected. Clear and well defined assignments. He loves his teachers and is confident that they are there to help and support all the students. The multiple teaching strategies, old school principals and integration of technology are working just wonderful. As a retired teacher with 30 years of experience I am more than please that my grandson is enjoying such a positive learning environment.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

We haven't encountered bullying, so, in my experience, they are handling bullying appropriately.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

When we started the year, homework was a struggle. It was not a fun time in our home. However, we spoke with the teacher and made some adjustments to the work he was given and now it is much better, not always great, but so much better! I appreciate that they listened to our concerns.

Our son is in his second year at GLA and is in second grade. He has thrived there in a way I know he wouldn't have in public school. They work with his 'differences'. He has ADHD, Asperger's and has Anxiety Disorder. However to meet him, you wouldn't know that he struggles unless you really got to know him. This school has really gotten to know him. He has a personal relationship with all aspects of the staff; teachers, front office staff and everyone in between. They help him understand how to deal with a world that doesn't see things the way that he sees things. We love it!

Our son has been at Great Lakes for the past three years. He is now in middle school and we are thankful every day for this school. We have other children that attend our local public school and that works well for them but for our middle child public school was not a great fit. He lost his self esteem and the large class size was overwhelming for him and he began to shut down. Academically he began to struggle and socially he felt left out. GLA changed all of that. He is learning everyday, has friends and looks forward to going to school every day. The whole team is so supportive and genuinely care about each student! We couldn't ask for more, we finally have our son back.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We couldn't be happier. The experience we have had and continue to have with each teacher throughout the past three years has been nothing but positive! They reach our son in a way that teachers before hadn't.

Amount of homework: Agree

Our experience has been good. On occasion when we felt our son was struggling with homework we contacted the teachers right away and together we worked out a plan that worked for our son.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The students get social skills lessons along with the rest of the curriculum that help to develop these traits in our kids.

Develops character: Strongly agree

I strongly agree that Great Lakes Academy develops honesty, integrity and fairness in it's students. My son is proof of it. I cannot express fully all that this school has done for my child.

Amount of homework: Agree

I feel that the amount of homework that my son was assigned was enough but never overwhelming. It was more about developing good habits, responsibility and accountability.

Last modified Great Lakes Academy is a Private school that serves grades 1-12