1-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Posted July 14, 2016
We are so thankful for Great Lakes Academy. Our daughter came in high school after being in public school for elementary and middle school. She felt that the world was against her. The turn around in attitude was remarkable. The small class size enabled her to get to know her teachers and her classmates. The teachers care about each student as a person. The administrators were always there to support her. Most importantly, she had friends who accepted her as she was. We are so happy to be Gators!

Great Lakes Academy 1

Posted July 03, 2016
I was not going to comment but after reading posting from 4/25 and 1/15 of 2016 I could not have written the review any differently. It was exact same experience. We thought we were taking our child to a place where it would help but it did a lot of damage to my child. It has taken hoursof counseling to undo damage this place did. I am sure others had different exprience but I would run as fast I could from this place. So many better schools in area.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 20, 2016
So many to thank....but, special kudos to Mr. Campbell and Joey who took time to really understand and value our child. Special thanks, too, to a past teacher, Coach Paul, who listened and supported our child in good and sad times.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 20, 2016
The classrooms are small which allows the teachers and staff to really "know" our child. This develops trust in the student and a desire to respect and love back. This opens the door for honesty with a desire to build integrity and fairness.

Posted May 20, 2016
We all have a "story" that causes us to search for a school that will accomodate our children. Often, that story tells tales of a child that is sad, misunderstood, angry, and not appreciated. We become anxious and terrified that no one seems "to get" our child, but us. That is when the search begins. My grandson has attended GLA for 6 years. He is graduating from high school this year. It is with such sadness that we leave a place that nurtured and understood our child with Asperger's. I am convinced that my grandson would have never achieved the success and joy of school and living life without the support of this great staff of teachers. The Principal (past and present) are committed to helping and leading children to see that it is their differences that make them successful. This concept prevails in all they stand for. My grandson and I are beyond grateful for an experience that made such a difference in our lives. Thank you, GLA! Your gift to us was priceless!

Posted May 12, 2016
My son has been at GLA for two years. He has completed sixth through eighth grade and he will stay for high school. He has Dyslexia, Dysgraphia and ADD. He also has challenges processing what he reads. The classrooms are small which allowed the teachers to really get to know him and what he needed to be successful. School has always been hard for him and he has never really enjoyed going but the teachers and staff all work together to find what works for your child and everyone celebrates their successes.

Posted May 04, 2016
Our son joined GLA almost two years ago at 10th grade. Our experience at GLA is excellent, and we are very thankful for everyone at the school. Our son diagnosed with Asperger, is very intelligent and strong academically, but lack work skills, work very slow with low bar of frustration. From the first visit to GLA, we felt this is going to be the right place for him. Everyone at GLA helps him to feel wanted and special. The small classes, the attention he gets from his teachers, the open communication between school and parents, and the flexibility the school allow, makes this school an excellent fit for him. He went from missing more than 20% school days to attending almost every day. He is challenged academically, improved work skills, and we are now confident he will be able to finish high school and have skills to attend higher education. On the social side, which is difficult for him, he has better interaction with peers compare to previous schools, and we hope it will continue to improve.

Posted May 03, 2016
Our very intelligent grandson was floundering in public school as he has very slow processing skills and ADD. In ONE SEMESTER he brought his academic skills up to grade level at GLA. He loves this school and no longer has "stomach aches" when it is time for school.I am a teacher and see the level of work he produces now which is extremely good.. I am thankful every day for GLA

Posted April 27, 2016
My son struggled in public school. By 3rd grade the stress at school was taking a toll. His self esteem was taking major hits. My happy, sweet son was fading away, withdrawing. He was being bullied. He really wanted friends but no one wanted to be his friend & he couldn’t figure out how to make it work. He was lonely & I could not help him. He was making all A’s but somehow didn’t know how to do his homework. I knew he was just getting pushed through. My unique, kind, beautiful child was invisible to his teachers & classmates. I was at the school all the time begging for help for him. Things might get better for a week or so but then back came the bullying or the isolation. I began looking for schools. When I spoke with the admin at GLA I felt so hopeful & I scheduled a tour of the school. I couldn’t believe what I saw. PEERS for my son. He is not alone. I am not alone. There are other families like ours. I cried as a drove away. I felt relief, finally. He did his 3 day test visit in April 2013 with the plan to finish up the school year in public school & to start GLA in the Fall, provided it was a good fit. After just the 3 day visit I saw something change in my son. It was like a weight had been lifted off of his shoulders. My son never returned to the public school, he started at GLA immediately after his 3 day visit. I couldn’t bear to send him back, we had found the place for him and those rough days were behind us. My son is now in 6th grade. He has friends, actual friendships. He & his friends are happy to see each other, they have formed bonds with one another. They laugh & talk & enjoy each other’s company. He was so low in public school. He is now confident, fun & light. He is learning so much. The classes are so small that he gets one on one interaction. He is so proud of his hard work. GLA has exceeded our expectations. I used to drop my son off & he was not happy to go to school. Now we have a nice car ride in, he wants to go early to see his friends before class! We are now 3 years at GLA & I feel as strongly now as I did when he first started. This place cares for our kids & is changing the world for their students. I am so thankful to all at GLA for this amazing school.

Posted April 27, 2016
My son has attended Great Lakes for the past two years and has a diagnosis of ADHD and a diagnosis of dysgraphia. He is currently completing his freshman year. His struggle began in 3rd grade and got progressively worse. The change that I have seen in him during his time at Great Lakes is more than I could have imagined. My son was placed under the 504 umbrella in public school because of the ADHD diagnosis (dysgraphia was not identified until diagnostic testing for enrollment at GLA). Although he was allowed modifications in his classes his individual needs were not being met and his grades continued to drop. He struggled academically and socially. I remember spending many Sunday evenings in tears thinking about what the next week would bring. I taught in the same building and watched as it was happening. I felt powerless. Great Lakes Academy was an answer to my prayer. Each student has his or her own academic plan in place to help meet specific learning needs. These plans are created by the teachers before school begins. Everything is in place when our children walk in the door on the first day of school. Because of this individualized attention and support my son's grades have improved significantly which has done amazing things for his confidence. He has finally found his place and it is exciting and emotional to watch him get to experience the fun of being a teenager. The staff at Great Lakes has been an important part of that process. My son feels safe and respected. There are no more tears on Sunday! I have also found a wonderful support system. We as parents have a common connection through our children. Although our specific stories and experiences may be a little different we all know and understand the daily struggles and successes that our children face. The school atmosphere is welcoming and relaxed but also structured and calming. I can't think of a better place for my son to be during this stage in his school career. I trust Great Lakes Academy and would recommend it to any parent who is looking for a safe, supportive, nurturing environment for their child with learning differences.

6000 Custer Rd., Building 7, Plano, TX  75023