Plano, TX

Taylor Elementary School 5

Posted June 02, 2015
My daughter has been to three elementary schools in four years and this school is, by far, the best one she has attended. The teacher is quite attentive to her individual needs. Her teacher gives her Quest kids accelerated work and other projects when she finds a section they have mastered that some of her other students may still need instruction on. Her teachers are on point when it comes to teaching each child individually. Each teacher we have met listened to our concerns for our daughter's individual needs, listened when we described our her learning style and what motivates her and has used that knowledge to benefit her. I feel like my daughter's success lies in the "team" we form at the beginning of each year under her teacher's guidance. I feel like our concerns are addressed when we have them and I trust these teachers to make the best decisions for their classrooms. Every teacher we have spoken with truly believes in the gifts of each of their students. I never feel like when my daughter has an infraction that she is treated unfairly. The times my child has been made to stay behind the class or miss recess it was because she misbehaved. The only time I really feel like she has been singled out is for achievements/awards/good doings. We have attended a couple really distraught schools with troubled children, no budgets and a largely inattentive/uncaring staff- Taylor Elementary is NOT those things. These staff members love our kids, from the Principal to the lunch staff, my daughter always comes home feeling cared for and appreciated. We love Taylor and couldn't ask for a better, more caring staff.

Posted May 21, 2015
My friends child experienced a teacher that did not attend to his needs as an individual, was more concerned with performance than the needs of the student. I would not recomnmend this school to anyone I know.

Posted May 21, 2015
The school has been antagonistic and rude to me when I go there to discuss different instances of behavior with my child. They treat him poorly and as a disruptance even though he has the right to equal treatment and education the same as other children. He has a difficult time focusing and staying on task and is constantly being punished for this by being kept inside during recess and lunch and isolated, rather than being allowed the liberty of running around and letting off excess steam. This to me is counterproductive and against behavior therapy practices.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted May 21, 2015
The teachers at the school are concerned with order and performance instead of individual learning needs of children in the school, if I child doesn't sit straight and do tasks perfectly the first time they are asked then they are labelled as behavior problems, when in reality I have never met a kid that will behave like that all the time. A child singing and wiggling around in their seat to me sounds quite normal yet my child is treated as though he is bad because of that

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted May 21, 2015
I won't go into detail about one teacher. I believe this is more than a singular issue. It's systemic.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted May 21, 2015
Our child has been disrespected. It's hard for him to look up to anyone as a mentor at Taylor.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted May 21, 2015
Our son has a hard time concentrating. They deal with it by segregating him from his class and threatening suspension. The only exception they will make is if we get him tested for ADHD. We plan to test him, but we don't have the $1,100 it takes to run the test right now. It seems the school helps the pharmaceutical companies more than my child.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 21, 2015
They came up a fun ticket reward system for our son and then ignored it. Instead they only kept a negative reinforcing technique by using a negative behavior chart. How is that supposed to teach children to be consistent when the adults running the school are not consistent?

Posted May 21, 2015
My son is in 1st grade and has had a hard time at Taylor. He has been labeled a trouble maker because he swings his arms and skips while the class walks in a line. Other small childish behaviors are marked off of his behavior chart because he is not a perfect child. We have tried to back up the teacher and school and have always done what they have asked us to do. However, our son comes home everyday extremely sad and keeps asking, "When will school be over?" This comes from a child who loves to read and can complete home work in less than one hour. There have been multiple times where I try to call or email the teacher with no response. We will be looking to transfer to another school district.

Taylor Elementary School 5

Posted May 16, 2013
I am very impressed to see the level of education enforced by this school as well as educating student the method to solve problem involving math/science. Level of difficulty does help student to grow. Homework provided is also help parent to keep involved to the level they know their child's progress and challenging child to think outside of the box. I have moved from out of state to this school during the year and I am happy with this school a lot due to all things mentioned above. The previous school my child used to go was also Exemplary but compare to this school the work and effort put by previous school was below the level of Taylor.

9865 Gillespie Drive, Plano, TX  75025
Last modified Taylor Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Taylor Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top