Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted August 24, 2015
It used to but not now. You have to have an atmosphere of compassion, caring and empathy to develop it in your students.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted August 24, 2015
TONS of kids cheat. TONS. They try to crack down on stuff, but they pretty much are way behind the students. A few years ago, kids wouldn't ever cheat because they cared about being part of the school, but now that its not being run by the original lady (who really cared about everything) then the kids don't care either. Now the administration tries to make all these rules but the kids are way smarter than they are.

Posted August 10, 2015
Our daughter is preparing for her second year at SCA, and we couldn't be happier. Zero complaints. We were worried that she would sacrifice the strong academics she was used to at a very tough private school that left her little time for training in her sport. This proved to be no worry and in fact with the small class size is given leeway to move ahead. It is so wonderful to have a peer group also at the highest levels of their chosen sport, or music, dance etc ...each of them understand they are on a personal journey that requires dedication and hard work. SCA makes it possible for these talented kids to have a real school life as well and excel with additional hours of training. I have been perplexed by the negative reviews.....some sour grapes for sure. If the child is not prepared to work hard and keep up, this isn't the right place for your child. These are highly motivated, driven students. So glad to have found this school!

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 31, 2015
I can't thank SCA enough for the help and understanding. They have been able to allow my child to pursue a dream and develop as a young adult while receiving a great education. This school will not buckle to students that think they are entitled because of parent finances. This school continues to develop students that are able to stand on their own and take on life with confidence. This is not a traditional school and it is not designed for students that are looking for traditional surroundings. This school is designed for a special type of student that is focused. I read the previous reviews and wander why those students that have had issue continue to go for multiple years because this is a school that is a choice not mandatory.

Spring Creek Academy 2

Posted May 06, 2015
I am graduating from Spring Creek Academy this year. Sadly, it has really gone downhill in the past 3 years or so. The school was started by a committed and loving teacher who had started to hand control over to her daughter, a teacher/counselor. Then the daughter's new husband needed a job, and it all fell apart. He started out doing random maintenance and suddenly he is the director of the school. With only a few general studies classes at community college, he knows nothing about teaching or running a school, he is arrogant and ignorant about the classes, especially at the high school level. He makes some very ill-advised policy changes, with no understanding of their consequences. But because he's a family hire, his random edicts go completely unchallenged. Any problems get a blank stare, and a shrug - "you'll have to ask Mr Thomas." Sadly, he never answers email or his phone, and is rarely at school. On Facebook, we see her manic obsession with inappropriate selfies and his pictures of his alcoholic drinks and various gambling activities. Many good teachers and even some serious students have left; the school is a complete slack fest. It's so sad.

Spring Creek Academy 1

Posted May 06, 2015
Read all the other reviews. Notice how almost all of the positive ones were written over the summer of 2009. (Many of them on the same day, June 30.) Coincidence? Nope. They were going for accreditation, so parents were told to write good reviews all over the web. The school was a good little niche school, now is just a sad little gravy train for one self involved family who really couldn't care less about students or their education. "Gifted and Talented" school? Uh, not even close.

Posted January 14, 2014
This school is designed for highly motivated kids. It would not suit a student that needs a great deal of extra help or support. Much of the work is done outside of class (the school day is short and no class on Fridays). This is not the school for every family, but it is a wonderful situation for self-managing and highly motivated kids who are bright/successful students, but also wish to pursue outside interests or competitive sports. My child attends SCA and he is definitely more academically challenged here than he was in a west Plano public school. He also has more time to pursue his sport and spends less time in a school building each day. He says that it is much more enjoyable than public school. He tells me that there are fewer social issues, and less distractions from the "trouble-maker" kids that seem to drag everyone down in some of those huge public school classrooms. It makes sense- smaller classes with teachers who get right to work on the day's lesson.... and no wasted time! Like I said, for the right kid, this school is perfect!

Spring Creek Academy 3

Posted September 26, 2013
Spring Creek Academy, Plano Texas This school offers a condensed schedule (3 hours/day) so that students can have 6 or more hours available each day to pursue other special skills such as music, acting, or sports. It is a good idea, however, due to inconsistent academic standards, teacher quality, and administrative leadership the school falls short of its potential. The school frustrates the students and parents with poor communication and uninspired administrative leadership. Families who use this school need to push their children to work above and beyond the demands of the curriculum and teachers in order to prepare them adequately for AP tests, college entrance tests, and for college level work. The biggest plus for the school is the peer group of very exceptional athletes, musicians, and actors who attend world class training programs and compete/perform at the highest levels. Most of the students will earn scholarships to Division I college sports teams, fine arts, and music programs. The greatest advantage of the school is the peer group of highly motivated, hard working, goal oriented students who can relate to the challenges and ambitions of the other students.

Spring Creek Academy 1

Posted May 02, 2013
Not for the college bound. I am a former SPA student and I have almost completed my first year of college. I was mostly an A and sometimes B student at SCA. After graduating from SCA I was not prepared for college at all. At SCA I rarely wrote papers and never read a novel. We only practiced vocabulary once, which affected my SAT score. The teachers put no pressure on us and were satisfied with below average work. I realize now that I should have attended a more competitive high school. My parents sent me to SCA so I would have time for my sport and because it is accredited. After comparing my education to other college kids I don't know how they got accredited. I got into a decent college but it was because of my athletic ability. If you are serious about school go somewhere else.

Posted November 12, 2012
Our daughter has attended Spring Creek Academy for 9 years. The school has excellent teachers, a strong principal/school leadership and challenging academic programs. They are terrific at working with students and parents through difficult educational situations . We would recommend SCA to any family, but especially those with children in the arts and/or athletic programs wanting a high level of high schoold education.

6000 Custer Rd Bldg 5, Plano, TX  75023
Last modified Spring Creek Academy is a Private school that serves grades K, 3-12
Spring Creek Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top