Posted July 13, 2013
I have 2 children at this school and both are thriving. My son is ADHD and the teachers could not be more understanding. They are caring and nurturing and know how to bring the best out of my children.

Posted January 15, 2013
My Daughter has been going to this school for 4 years. she loves the it and so do I. When she started in kindergarten she had the greatest teachers they switched classes like they do in middle school they moved between 3 teachers for different subjects well not all the kids move they have the classes set up to where the kids who need more help get it, the kids who need to move faster and need to be challenged get it and the kids that are right where they need to be are not rushed or slowed down. I think it is a great set up I was a little concerned at 1st but it has been nothing but the best my daughter wants to get up and go to school. They have taught great study habits and every year just gets better. I have yet to meet a teacher that didn't go above and beyond we have our son at another elementary school in Plano (stepson they are in the same grade) and it just does compare to Hughston while they are working on the same things at about the same time I noticed that it just works better here. The class sizes are always at the allowed or under (not the same at the other school they are at least 5 more) I could go on but I have said enough It's a great school great Teachers!!!

Hughston Elementary School 1

Posted December 20, 2012
Not the place for young kindergarten students. My son had a very difficult time adjusting. Several incidents of inappropriate decpline occured the last semster. For example, my son wasn't following directions on some artwork and the teacher thought the appropriate displine was to tear up his art, crumple it up, and throw it away while scolding him in front of the whole class......to a 5 yr old. We voiced are concerns to the principal and she never returned our message only to hand it back off to the teacher. The after school program is also not place for young -1st grade students. The front office thought after my son was sent to the office for misbehaving was to give him in school suspension of 3 hours. The punishment was basically to sit still for 3 hours doing nothing. Really? Not appropriate at all for a 5 yr old. The front desk staff is generally unprofessional. The program is very secretive about what they do and don't give you good details about day to day activites. They also don't let you see what happens where the kids play either. Makes you wonder. Just because a school is exemplary doesn't not meen that all grades are created equal.

Posted March 25, 2010
We were fortunate to live in the neighborhood without really knowing about the school. Our daughter is autistic and we were concerned what kind of experience she would have in public school. We had tried public for preschool and were for the most part horribly dissappointed. Hughston turned out to be a huge answer to prayer. Mrs. Collins addressed our concerns and helped our daughter to have an amazing first year. Each year after has been equally wonderful. She has blossomed before our eyes and is happy and well-adjusted. The staff is superior in every way. If someone feels their child is not getting the attention they need, then speak up! Your concerns will be addressed. There are many extracurricular activities and tons of ways to be involved. Far superior educational experience!

Posted April 20, 2009
We transferred into Hughston from Christie and are glad we did. Hughston's PACE program is exceptional and my son really looks forward to it. There are so many ways to get involved including the PTA and WatchDOGS (Dads of Great Students). The faculty is always responsive to questions and the prinicipal is really on top of her game. I feel very fortunate to have been able to transferred our son into this incredible school in such a fantastic school district.

Posted January 06, 2009
I have many friends all over Plano and this school is highly cometitive with all of their schools curriculum. We transferred into this school and could not be more pleased. The Pace program has a great reputation, if you can't find extra activities and after school programs, than you are not trying very hard. I have looked at other schools and could not be more pleased. I know from personal experience that Hughston does their best to help fullfill each students needs.

Hughston Elementary School 3

Posted January 05, 2009
My son who pays attention and always tries does well. But that is his personality. My daughter needs a little more guidance. She is not getting it...very frustrated. I might have to move or look into private school.

Hughston Elementary School 3

Posted November 18, 2008
This is school is older and a little run down. I thought my kids would have a nicer school given the amount we just paid for a house. Academically, it seems a little slow. My sons left a highly competitive gifted program and the PACE program here seems to let anyone in that is of even slightly above average intelligent. Our boys are not challenged like at their old school.

Posted October 23, 2008
I am very impressed with the structure, learning tools and the curriculum at Hughston. It is evident in my daughter and in the material she brings home that not only is she learning but being prepared for future grade levels.

Hughston Elementary School 4

Posted May 31, 2006
My daughter attended this school in first grade. She had a very enjoyable year. Her love of school and learning increased. They do a great job of including fun along with learning. The teachers truly cared about how my child was doing academically and they tailored her classes to meet her academic level. For instance, my daughter was excelling in math so they moved her to a more advanced math class. She started the year struggling to read and ended the year reading 58 words per minute. My only complaint was with the math class. After they moved her to the advanced math class they seemed to work on the same math sheet day after day- the same 100 addition problems in the same order. If there was any creative instruction with math, it was not visible to me. My daughter seemed to stagnate with her math ability.

Hughston Elementary School
2601 Cross Bend Road, Plano, TX  75023
(469) 752-2000
Last modified Hughston Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hughston Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top