Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I don't know where to start, I will so try to keep this short. I moved to Plano from Dallas at the beginning of the school year of 2014. I am a single parent of two girls, now... ages 10 and 12. Upon going through marital changes and constant work changes, my girls had to experience going to 2 to 3 schools a year since my separation... with me constantly moving them around in search for stability and a better environment. I can not begin to explain how behind my girls were as far as their curriculum. Constantly being enrolled in new schools, constantly trying to get settled, constantly trying to catch on in environment that was forever changing. I chose my new new job this time based on the school district and not the pay. From the very first day of enrollment, ALL of the Huffman Elementary staff have been more than wonderful. Always concerned, always friendly, and always with the best of spirits, they are an AMAZING group of people!! Right away you can tell that they all LOVE their job. That alone made me feel tons of relief in my choice of schools. My oldest daughter had it rough, she struggled tremendously with her reading and comprehension, making it hard for to retain what she was learning. Her spirit was already so defeated going in. Her teacher(s) immediately accessed the problem, and contacted me with a solution.. a plan to get her on track. The first year was rough.. so rough. The teachers had to basically go in and retrain her thinking and the way that she processed things. They took time from their schedules and gave her the tutoring, the attention, and the materials needed to excel in her classes. The following year was even better. Although a lot had been accomplished we still had so much more work to do. By the end of the second year, a meeting was called with the counselors, teachers, and myself just to go over the progress of everything that had been done and just to kind of evaluate the before and after results. They were ASTOUNDING!!! Her scores had taken a dramatic leap!!! Now she goes to Renner Middle School, a really awesome school as well. My daughter received her 2nd report card for the year and all of her grades were A's and B's!!! I cannot express the joy in my heart when I saw her face of satisfaction from her work. I KNOW that if it were not for the teachers and staff at Huffman, this would not have been possible. Thank You!!!!!!!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are wonderful. Very hands on and active with the needs and the concerns of each individual child. They go beyond "doing their job". They are all parents first, and I can tell from the compassion that pour out into the children. They know that the children need them... that is why they are there. They all need a raise!!!

We love Huffman. My kids are taught by educators that care and have developed fantastic friendships!!!!

Huffman has a wonderful staff and an energetic new principal. I've been at the school for over 5 years and have always been impressed by how well my children are doing both academically and socially. This is a great school with staff that listen and help you as a parent for each child. The size of the school has dramatically changed since we began. Thanks to the school board, we have less than 550 students. We have a great PTA with many fantastic after school programs and our new Principal has added Wordmasters Challenges and Math Olympiads as an after school program.

Huffman has very good and very bad points. The school has a lot after-school activities for families to be brought together, which is a great asset. There is good communication between the Principal, teachers, and parents. The parents strive to keep a great PTA. The cons are that it became very overcrowded, due to the PISD districting. PISD addressed the overcrowding recently, but where PISD relieved the overcrowding, it also relieved the school of a rich multicultural school where kids could learn life skills from others. The No Child Left Behind Laws have not worked in favor of Huffman either. I would say look at the school before enrolling, it's not for everyone.

Huffman is a fantastic school community. It is incredibly multicultural, multiethnic, multireligious and open to every type of student. We met with the principal prior to enrolling and he willingly took my daughter and I on a tour through the school, especially the kindergarten. Her Kindergarten teacher held a M.Ed. and was a terrific, encouraging educator. Her 1st grade teacher also held a M.Ed. and quickly recognized and recommended her for the "gifted" program, which Huffman excells at. Great after school activities (art, sports, tutoring etc) supports. They excell at parent-teacher communication, parent-principal communication, and PTA communication. Many community nights, festivals and School Spirit nights at local resaurants, that kick back proceeds to the school itself, for books and supplies! We have found a real gem of a school here at Huffman!

Huffman is a wonderful school. The teachers are always open and willing to help the children in anyway needed. I am very impressed with the growth my son has accomplished at Huffman in only two years! I also love they that welcome and involve the parents within the school. Huffman is a school that goes above and beyond!

I could not be more pleased about the quality of education and staff at Huffman Elementary! Mr. Steven's, the Principal has led the school to excellence - improving on key growth metrics each year and he is a tremendous role model who truly loves kids and encourages their progress. The teachers are excellent and have got my son excited about learning and keep him challenged. The only thing I'd like to see improved at the school is to have healthier food selections at lunch.

We love Huffman! My daughter has been at Huffman for 4 years and my son will start in the '09-'10 school year. The teachers are fantastic and PTA is awesome!

Huffman is an amazing school where the focus is on the growth of each individual child! The Principal is always available to meet with parents or parent groups and knows all of the children. The teachers do an incredible job of delivering instruction and differentiating the instruction for the children at different levels. I love the fact that the focus is on student growth and not TAKS driven!

Last modified Huffman Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.