Brinker Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 711 students

Living in Plano

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $338,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,020.

Posted February 21, 2014

My son is in the 1st grade here at Brinker, and I am extremely disappointed. We moved here in early 2013 and initially we got off to a good start. At the end of Kinder my son was reading at a above second grade level, and was above where he needed to be in math and writing. He was praised and being a good, smart kid. His Kinder teacher was wonderful! When 1st grade began, so did the problems. He immediately began having issues s with other students, and issues with his teacher..which has NEVER happened before. He had been labeled, and put into the bad student category. I agree with the previous comments regarding lack of parent-teacher communication. A decision was made to change my sons schedule with me or my husband being consulted first. Preference is given to specific children (The ones with PTA Moms, and Room Volunteers) and the remainder (the ones with working parents) of the kids are treated like throw aways. This will be our last year at Brinker.

Posted February 20, 2014

Both of my children go here, my oldest is in 2nd now and youngest in K. I don't know what other parents are talking about w/ lack of parent/teacher communication because I get emails from their teachers before school starts, during, and after school is closed! These teachers (the 4 my children have had combined) have truly been amazing! The amount of work & attention they put into their job during hours and after hours has been very impressive to me! My oldest has been struggling with dyslexia (I did not know) and these teachers figured it out! He went from making 1/10 on spelling tests to now 10/10 WITH dyslexia. My youngest has asthma and his teacher has been VERY caring in watching over him all year and emailing me with updates on how he is feeling on days his asthma flares up. In my opinion my boys have had the BEST teachers and the BEST experiences here at Brinker and it's going to be hard for any other schools or teachers to top their performance when we have to move! My boys have loved every teacher they have had here and so have I!

Posted September 11, 2013

We are new to the school this year and my son is in 1st grade. We have only been in school for 3 weeks, but I see area of improvement already. First of all, I agree with some of the other parents that complained about parent-teacher communication or lack there of. My son has been given a lot of homework for a first grader and seems to be struggling a bit with it. If he has a hard time at home, than he must be having a hard time in class as well. So far, it has yet to be observed... But granted we have only been in session for 3 weeks. Other than that I'm pretty pleased with the school (so far). I like that they recently added classes to go for less students per class. The teacher seems very nice, and my son is adjusting well. He's always happy when he learns new things, and meets new people. My only other concern is the openings in the doors. Why did Plano need to have their schools like that with classrooms not having any doors? I hope they overturn this decision and place doors in the classrooms in the foreseeable future. And does anybody here know if they will acquire smart boards in the future as well? Thank you

Posted May 23, 2013

Very disappointed. Extremely poor communication between teacher and parent.After repeatedly reminding the teacher that I am not receiving emails from her the problem has still not been fixed.Preferential treatment.When my child complained of a headache the whole day was ignored by the teacher.Got a call in 15 minutes from the daycare after she reached saying she was running a high temperature.Prior to this school, my child attended CFB-ISD and the parent school communication,interaction was much higher than this place.Pity our tax dollars are getting so little return from this place for being in such an affluent neighborhood.

Posted March 4, 2013

My son has loved this school for the last 3 years. Its a safe fun school good parent involvement

Posted February 6, 2013

Our family moved to the Brinker area as a corporate transfer, and we chose our area quickly. We knew Brinker was a good school, but are constantly surprised by what a great school it is. The teachers are caring and communicative, our children are challenged, and we all feel safe and welcome. The classrooms themselves are a little crowded, but class size is about the same as most public schools in the USA and I have never felt that my children have been lost in the crowd. I am looking forward to having a bit more space after their renovations in Spring 2013. For what it is worth, the lunches are certainly above average.

Posted November 15, 2012

I have been at Brinker for many years off and on. I currently have 3 children in 1st, 2nd and 4th grades. I have to say I am extremely pleased with this school year. All 3 of my teachers are quite communicative and I so appreciate it. They are all open to questions and concerns. My kids are thriving and I am very happy. Our PTA is wonderful and large and we will always need more involvement. We do have a lot of kids but we're figuring it out as a community.

Posted November 15, 2012

I have been at Brinker for more than 2 years now, I currently have 2 children in 1st and 4th grades. I love this school, the teachers, the principal is really open for listening. Our PTA is wonderful, off course we will always need more involvement. We do have a lot of kids but we're figuring it out as a community. I'm very pleased by the curriculum my kids are receiving in here. All places have something to be improve but for sure Brinker es a great school.

Posted August 12, 2012

Extremely disappointing!!!! My son started in second grade and has been there for 3 years now and the bullying started in second grade. I blame myself for the first year as I dismissed the name calling as "kids being kids" and just spoke to my son about it and informed him that he isn't the one with the issue and we should pray for the kids that don't know better. When he came home in 3rd grade with his spirit totally broken because a 5th grader had called him names, I had it. What made it worse, the school knew about it and had the kid write an apology note to my son, but did not inform me or the other parents that it had occured. Once I notified them that I was aware of it and highly upset that he was being bullied they acted concerned, told me they had a no tolerance rule and it would be handled. This was after the fact but I still had hopes that they would do something to encourage the students build each other up instead of tear each other down but when asking the counselor the plans going forward she only got defensive and thought I was accusing her of "not doing her job"...... Hmmmm. well there still is no program to encourage anti bullying, but I am sure its on her list

Posted August 2, 2012

Great community feeling - dedicated staff and leadership - opportunities for parent involvement through PTA. Exemplary campus.

Posted May 30, 2012

Very disappointing. The teachers do not maintain any communication with the parents. No response to email or calls. Preferential treatments. No place to turn to for help. Truly a lost year. Since I still believe in regarding the teachers, I choose to not make a list of issues. But some very disappointing behaviours. One thing is for sure - I do not think the teachers really care. - A very sad parent.

Posted May 26, 2012

I share the frustration with the previous reviewer. I am pretty sure not every one of them are bad but my child have had a tough luck. They blame their student for their inability or indifference! Do they really intimidate you by telling you to bring your perfectly "NORMAL" kid to a doctor for anything they see as a trouble? Yes they do. They try to manage their students as they were prisoners in a correctional facilities and they don't listen to you even when you or your child has an excuse or explanation to get them. It looks like they see themselves as somebody with superpower and never agrees that they are only humans who can make mistakes. Once they file ANY report against your child, that's it. They never take it back or revise it no matter what you tell them even with a proper reasons. But listen to my advice and do not appeal - your child will begin to bring home even more "Stop and Think" reports for ANY trivial mistakes at school. Yes, I do feel they retaliate. I did file a couple of complaints to PISD so far but nothing really changed. So glad my child is done with this school and these people.

Posted February 28, 2012

Extremely disappointed in Brinker. (cont). When we requested a more structured classroom, he was placed in a class with 18 boys. Then the teacher intimated that he should be seen by a doctor for his inability to focus!! When my sister attempted to meet with them, they were only interested in starting a process to document him as a behavior problem. We eventually moved him to a private school with more structure. They work with my sister and the discipline problems have faded away. He is an alwasys was an excellent student academically. Now, he's o with a teacher and in a school that "sees"' him and really cares. He's doing beautifully.

Posted June 7, 2011

My daughter has been at Brinker for 2 years now and she absolutely loves it. Her 3rd grade teacher was outstanding and my daughter really thrived under her direction. For me, the school is lacking in many areas. The classrooms are old and small. They are not equipped with current technology like SmartBoards and there is little computer integration into the curriculum. I would like to see better communication. There is little to no communication from the principal. In fact, my daughter didn't know Brinker had a principal for most of 2nd grade. The school events are very weak and participation is poor as a result. Finally, don't expect anything other than TAKS prep...art instruction is poor, no foreign language and no extra curricular activities.

Posted October 13, 2010

It is great place to work.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 12, 2010

Brinker Elementary School is led by two warm and caring individuals, Barbara Richardson, Principal and Patricia Hempstead, Asst. Principal. They lead a team of professional staff members who are educators at heart and truly devoted to helping children reach their full potential. The school has a kind and welcoming energy where students and parents feel safe and at home. As a new staff member this year at Brinker, I find this school has a sense of honest humility and healthy collegial relationships. The student body is very diverse yet cohesive and we are blessed with so many amazing, involved parents Being a memeber of the Brinker family is a great gift for which I am extremely grateful!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 3, 2010

My son was at Brinker for a short time. This school has had several complaints as well as students who have been removed due to lack of ability within the Special Education Department. If you have a child that may need something extra, this is not the school for you. The building is great and there are funds here. The teachers receive 'gifts' from certain parents, and they choose the teachers prior to the year's beginning. There are very specific groups of parents that have a voice, and the rest do not. The Special Education rating has gone down substantially with Brinker and one of the teachers within the department who injured a special needs child is still working at this school. It is surprising that in such an affluent area the elementary school is barely acceptable.

Posted August 24, 2008

Our daughter had excellent teachers throught the years. But i agree with the comment that there are various groups among parents.if you are not in it you will not get any chance to involve in any of the actvities. I also noted that PTA parents get their choice of teachers for every year. thier children actually boast about that in class that they got to choose which teacher they wanted as class teacher.I feel kids are basically good, but a group of parents feel they are privilleged and hence encourage kids act out that way. compared to Barksdale in west plano, extracurricular activites( clubs , after school programs ) are nil in this school. I will take any other west plano school over this one on academical and social environment.

Posted June 3, 2008

My son was in Ms. Snowdens class this year for Kindergarten. Ms. Snowden is a GREAT teacher and I really enjoyed having her as my sons teacher. I enjoyed our year at Brinker but was a little disappointed with the other parents. It seemed like if you were not in the same social circle, you are not included in after school events.

Posted October 15, 2006

Our daughter is a kindergartner at Brinker Elementary. We feel that she is receiving an outstanding education. She is challenged every day and is learning on a consistent basis. We are pleased by what she has learned. Her teacher has been in the field of education for 30 years and is loved and respected by the students. She provides excellent leadership for the kindergarten classes. Children attend physical education daily, art and music twice a week, and library once a week. Parent involvement at Brinker is fantastic as well. Parents are scheduled on a volunteer basis to work in the PTA sponsored 'work room' to assist classroom teachers in preparation for upcoming lessons. Kindergarten parents also have the opportunity to be reading buddies and to participate on a center committee. Various after school PTA sponsored activities are also available to the children. Some activities include: Spanish Club, Art, and chess.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

113 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

113 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

116 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

119 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

118 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

109 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

106 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

107 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Female100%

Not special education91%
Proficient in English90%
Non-migrant91%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

All Students93%

Economically disadvantaged73%
Proficient in English93%
Non-Gifted89%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 20% 4%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 2%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3800 John Clark Pkwy