Posted November 03, 2014
After reading some of the bad reviews I had to weigh in. I went to a really tough Catholic school in New York--rigorous academics, rigid dress code, nuns with no humor, and expensive tuition. It prepared me for anything the world could throw at me. St. Mark is a kinder, gentler version that still gets the job done well. My son has gone her his whole life--development center, Pre-k 4, TK, and now First. Our teacher is tough, and we had to adapt after a year of socially instructional TK (my son has a crush on Mrs. Young still). However, it is almost 2 1/2 months into the year and my son has adapted. He even told me he loves his friends and Mrs. T....basically, he loves school and now is excelling because he was pushed by a teacher who didn't back down. We support the school, the teachers, the methods, and the standards through verbal recognition, volunteer hours, donations, and money. We stand with many other parents who do the same. If you want an easier program or teachers who treat parents as customers, the public schools in the area do a fine job (less the faith-based lessons). A Catholic education involves a family commitment, not merely paying tuition.

St Mark Catholic School 4

Posted November 02, 2014
It's tough getting started at a new school. This one is no different. I've found that if I, as a parent, get involved in the activities of the school, I am able to get to know other parents, my children's friends, the administrators, and the teachers. This school has improved since the new principal arrived. There is a positivity in the air. Change is embraced! I'm seeing more faith in action these days!

Posted October 29, 2014
I have four students at St Mark. We have been there for four years and I am always impressed by the quality of education and how the teacher's challenge my children academically and spiritually. If you get involved in HSA or in the parish, the school becomes like a second family. Its an amazing environment for the children and for families.

Posted October 29, 2014
Our family moved to St Mark two years ago and what a blessing the move has been.. Between the staff, teachers and other wonderful families that have their children attending St Mark our children now wake up excited to get to school.

Posted October 07, 2014
I am shocked at reading some of these reviews. We have been at St Mark Catholic School for 12 years and will continue there with our youngest until he has graduated. Our students are incredibly well prepared for high school. Last year alone we had alumni at 2 local high schools that were valedictorians. My senior has done amazingly well in high school and I always credit STM with his success. My husband and I feel blessed that we have been able to give our children a faith based education at STM. Catholic schools in general are not for everyone. They teach to the middle child. Over the years, the families that I have seen leave the school usually had a child that was struggling and chose to get help from their public school. As for the sports comments? The entire Dallas Parochial League is run by parent volunteers at all of the Catholic schools and this is no different for STM. I would say please volunteer to those parents that are complaining. In regards to the "strict" comments below. Yes, they are strict with the kids in middle school. I do not think that is a negative. Again, I go back to my comments above that I believe it helps prepare them for high school.

St Mark Catholic School 1

Posted August 22, 2014
I was sadly a student at St Mark's and this school is horrible because of the way they "assess" your child and then place them in the dumb, avg, and smart class. The teachers have students that they heavily favor and are not afraid to show their favorites and least favorites, but this is of their "middle school" (I went to a real middle school and had a totally different experience than this place) so their elementary school may be better...

Posted August 21, 2014
St. Mark is a great school! I attended from preschool through 8th grade and I wouldn't trade it for anything! I had great teachers every year. They were always caring and always there to help. Even now when I go back to visit, the teachers remember me and ask how I'm doing. St. Mark is truly part of our family. At graduation, we were told that it will always be a place to call home, and that's how I feel. I will be forever grateful to my parents for giving me a St. Mark education. It was a wonderful place to grow up, and really prepared me for high school. Once a lion, always a lion!

Posted August 19, 2014
We are very happy with St Mark! Our children have attended St Mark Catholic School since 2000 and we have several years before our youngest graduates. St Mark is has a strong Catholic identity and a strong academic program which ensures they are prepared for the local Catholic high schools. The community is truly an extension of our family. We've made life long friends here. If you are looking for a Catholic education, please call the school and ask for a tour.

St Mark Catholic School 1

Posted August 17, 2014
I deeply believe in Catholic education. However something is broken at this Christian school that too often doesn't treat students or parents in a Christian manner. Perhaps it all stems from the principal that was there for 30 years, and asst. principal that are finally gone as of this year 2014-2015. But many things about St. Mark in Plano need fixing. The administration is extremely unprofessional and very cold and this sets the atmosphere for the entire school. Some middle school teachers are known to be very mean and texting or looking at their cell phones in class. Recently many families like myself have decided to leave and not keep waiting for changes that will take several years at least. Hopefully the academic methods of teaching and materials which are behind the times will also improve. Having said that, the parents and families really do form a bond and support each other. Some families stay simply because they don't want to leave their own and their children's friends. For us it was a tough decision because of close friends. For us the actual Catholic education and classroom experience for our kids had to come first.
2 people found this helpful

Posted July 31, 2014
This is our third year at St. Mark, and I am so saddened to see some of the negative reviews. I have been so happy with our experience. My children all love going to school everyday, and it's such a blessing to have them in school where God is part of everything they learn. Weekly mass is such a beautiful experience. Any problem we have had was handled beautifully by the teachers and staff. We have a brand new principal and VP this year - I think good changes are on the way. I think every school has some drawbacks, but it's what the foundation is that matters. Our children are getting a great Catholic education here, and we wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Our kids have had some wonderful teachers. Though there are some teachers who don't do much smiling, and that is one thing that would make a big difference. A smile goes a long way! That being said, most of the staff is very personable and approachable. If you are considering the school, I encourage you to come for a tour. Be careful making a decision based on some negative reviews. See for yourself what St. Mark is all about! We are proud to be Lions!

St Mark Catholic School
1201 Alma Drive, Plano, TX  75075
Last modified St Mark Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St Mark Catholic School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 65 reviews. Top