No rating

St. Mark Catholic School

Private | K-8

Living in Plano

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $179,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $940.

Sweep tile

Posted Monday, April 21, 2014

I'm afraid I might have to address future psychological damage from what this place has done to my kids. There are much better schools; this school ruined them in Math-they are unprepared for PUBLIC HS math!? (I PAID for that?? "Blue Ribbon School"are you kidding?!) We are now paying for additional help just to get them to where they need solely based on a ridiculous, biased categorization! The teachers have no concern whatsoever for any kid of a family they don't favor. Period. You would have to tell me this is a Catholic school because there is NO Christian behavior from ANY of the faculty. This was so disappointing it has just been scarring-it gives me no pleasure whatsoever to say such sad things, but I feel it is important to tell our truth. We have been treated with callous disrespect, @ best indifference. I have wondered how and why the Diocese has not addressed those of us who have left damaged?! Parents dealing w/the damage but also dealing w/ scarred children coping w/what was done to them..I only hope mine will remain Catholic because of this place, I know some sadly who left who are no longer because of it...

Posted September 9, 2013

I am so thankful that I pulled my children out of this school in time. We had the most horrible experience. It has no feel of a catholic school, it feels like Military. The administration has their own agenda and will never listen to you. The teachers in the middle school are awful and are disrespectful. My kids are good kids and have always done very well in school and loved their teachers until we moved here. (we came here from out of state). My kids cried every night to have me pull them out and I finally did. Respect the kids and the kids will respect you. Academics were ok comparing them to what we had. I did volunteer and saw what my kids were talking about. It's not normal run school. Before you send you child here, make sure the Middle school has been restructured and administration has made major changes.

Posted August 13, 2013

Terrible experience. Principal needs to retire. She is not about growth and educational modifications within the classroom. Our child struggled with reading yet no modifications would be made to the curriculum or teaching strategies. Teachers do not have the experience nor educational training needed to meet the challenges of meeting all the individual needs of each student. They teach one way and expect all students to fit that mold. They also lack many resources found in public schools. Would not recommend based upon the philosophy and approach applied by the prinicipal and staff.

Posted August 13, 2013

I agree with the recent poor reviews. The principal and many of the faculty seem to be lazy and entrenched in their routine. There is little to no effort made to collaborate with parents and accomodate even the slightest of a student's additional needs. They do not seem to realize who pays their salaries.

Posted May 26, 2013

School management needs to recognize the efforts of students e.g. academic and leadership awards. I attended the graduation rite, parent went home open handed except a diploma and a personal letter from the student/s to their parents. Management failed to motivate the students from the lowest grade until they graduate. Human being needs to be praised and recognized. NO single award has given during graduation, it so backward kind management. I would agree that they should rethink/change their approach. I hope the next principal will do it. A $2.00 certificate of recognition will a make a difference....

Posted May 25, 2013

This is our first year at St. Marks. We count our blessings that we found such a terrific school to send our daughter. The students welcomed a new friend. The staff is always available to help with questions or concerns. The teachers have been amazing and understanding of the learning curve logistically for a new student in a higher grade to the school. The expectations were explained and the teachers encouraged our daughter to reach out to them directly when she didn't understand or needed further explanation. As a parent, I appreciate how the teachers gave her the tools to learn to solve her own problems. Our daughter responded positively to the higher expectations set by her teachers. She has become a more independent thinker. Her teachers encourage her creativity and reward her for taking academic risks. They create a learning environment where it is comfortable to try a different approach to projects or learning. As we complete our first year at St. Marks, I remain truly grateful that we were guided to this school last year and would recommend this school to anyone seeking Catholic education along with solid academics.

Posted May 8, 2013

Not good...Teachers are more interested in their own agenda and playing cop than actually educating the kids. The school seems to be heavy on mindless discipline and light on understanding and challenging the students. Most of the teachers are neither friendly nor welcoming to parents or students. To be fair, I assume that not every teacher here is just going through the motions, but I haven't seen it. The leadership and staff could use a good overhaul. I just don't know if I will continue to give them my money while they try to figure it out.

Posted April 9, 2013

St. Mark Catholic School(SMS) is the best educational option in the Plano area particularly in preparing middle school(MS) students for the rigors and demands of growing their knowledge during the high school years. Leadership at SMS is outstanding and MS teachers are demanding, but fair with students and parents, assuring parents that their children are ready for their next big step at the high school level. It's a great school...one of the best!

Posted April 8, 2013

Our children attended St. Mark Catholic School from preschool through 8th grade and it was a wonderful family experience. The positive environment started with the Church Parishioners and went to the school administration to the teachers and to each individual student. The teachers were intelligent, supportive, and kind. Many times I would see them volunteering at the school carnival, attending and financially supporting the school auction, playing volleyball, cheering at pep rallies, and giving their time, talent, and treasure to the students. The administration supports the parents and the positive growth of the students. The students were high-level, independent thinkers. They were challenged and supported to find their talents and skills. Students' individual abilities were praised and since my children were very different, they each came out of St. Mark with a sense of confidence and inspiration to do their best. Students were friendly and welcoming. Kindness is encouraged and my children participated in many service projects, did quiet acts of kindness and even helped a school family whose house burned. Our family is proud to be a St. Mark Lion family.

Posted March 27, 2013

St. Mark is not only a school with high academics, it is a faith community. Gospel values are incorporated into the daily routine as a way of life. The children are kind to each other. At Mass on Fridays, you can see how much the students care for one another as they help their prayer partners. The parents are active participants in the school. My children love their teachers and their friends. We consider this our family.

Posted February 26, 2013

We have been parents at St. Mark Catholic School for 11 years, with a few more years to go until our younger children graduate. We are grateful for the love and guidance that they have received, and credit the faculty and staff for preparing our children to succeed in high school. The negative posts that I have seen on this website saddened me because these families obviously had a bad experience. All schools are not suited for all children, and some people can never be pleased. The curriculum at St. Mark is challenging, but the teachers help their students rise to the challenge. I cannot recommend this school enough!

Posted February 11, 2013

I used to be a student at St. Mark and graduated there recently. I transferred to the school in 7th grade (the worst possible grade to go into) and the teachers were rude and unkind. No one wanted to help in the beginning. I had no idea what I was doing and my grades suffered. I dreaded waking up every morning and couldn't wait to get out. The math teacher did prepare us for high school, but she did not seem to care at all about her students. You could tell the teachers had favorites and I felt left out. Their method of trying to help us was to yell at us about how we weren't good enough. I could barely make it 2 years there.

Posted February 2, 2013

I have a 5th grader at St. Marks. Myself and my son love this school. Our experience for last 6 years has been great and we recommend this school to anyone who is looking for one in that area. Teachers are great....especially from 2nd thru 5th grade. If you have any concerns about your child, teachers are always there to "talk". I have spent very less time volunteering but there are teachers who takes time to thank me in person..make you feel that you are a part of the school. Whenever we approached the school with any concerns they responded promptly. Overall very good communications from the teachers , principal and other faculty staff..one suggestion though, the 1st grade teachers need not be so serious...the kids are just 6 yrs old!! If you are looking for academics, faith, discipline altogether.... Yes, This is the place!!!

Posted January 19, 2013

Worst school on the planet!!!! I was bulled by half my 7th grade and evan the teachers!!!! My dad had lost his job up in Philedelphia. (Ya it's me the girl who you wanted to get rid of, Ha!) So we had to move. I didn't make one friend till March! Well I had another new girl who is my best friend now, but seriously. The principla I smoked, the teachers texted during class and bulling issues wouldn;'t be taken care of. I felt so bad for a girl who I believe is in 2nd grade now. No one talked ot her because she liked the color white. Seriously! My little sister doesn't like soccer (No offence to anyone who does.)But thos girl told everyone to stay away fom her because of that. I go to Renner Middle School and she goes ot Brinker Elementary. We both have a great friends I actually am not afraid to walk by the math room. (Yes she was the one who wasn't nice to me.) I made the basketall team and made the honor roll!! Whatever you do, do NOT send your kids to that school. If you are considered a poor or bad parent. Or you really don;t like your kid. Sned them to St. Mark. If you are totally opposite, sen them to a different school.

Posted December 20, 2012

I am a student who graduated from this school only last year. I will make this clear- this is a school with rigorous academics, difficult athletic opportunities (though the current AD is great!), AWFUL leadership in the administration, and little respect from many students. The administration does not know how to truly develop kids. They do not support athletics, or handle many problems well whatsoever. I was bullied for much of my time at St. Mark, verbally and a little physically. Overall, the administration could never take a stand on ending any bullying. Some teachers were good, but many are terrible. This goes especially in the middle school; the reason we are so prepared for high school is because we practically teach ourselves and learn to work like college students. By the time I was in eighth grade, I absolutely could not wait to leave.

Posted November 28, 2012

I will be praying for this school! The families and students are great! The administration and staff are cold, non-caring, insensitive and look as if they are tired of working at this school. I am shocked by the way teachers treat their students. They should re-read the Mission and Philosophy of St. Mark's and be Catholic role models for our children. Bullying begins from the top-down. If teachers are constantly yelling, demeaning and grumpy in the classroom, the students will model the same. Before you implement a Bully Program, the teachers need to take a course on having a positive; loving and nurturing environment that builds future Christian leaders not tear them down. We are gone!

Posted November 3, 2012

This is our third year at St. Mark and my children are happy there- which is what matters to us most. I can however see why some of the posts on this board refer to the staff as being uncaring. Some of the people who work at St. Mark are so very wonderful, but there are definitely some there who just want a paycheck. Unfortunately I'm afraid that is probably the case at most schools, I guess you just expect a bit more from a Catholic school.

Posted September 21, 2012

St Mark Plano is a great elementary school and middle school. I have two boys there currently and I found the teachers are caring and compassionate. I went to see my boys for lunch several days and I personally observed teachers caring for their students. The only reason I did not give 5 star because they do not have high school. Without high school, its hard to compare their academic achievement.

Posted August 12, 2012

This school was awful! We only lasted there 5 months and had to leave. We had to put my daughter in therapy over the summer to recover from this horrible experience. She was only in the first grade. Please evaluate this school carefully before enrolling. Don't be fooled because it's a catholic school.

Posted May 15, 2012

WE ARE LEAVING!!! So many issues from teachers texting during the entire class, teachers NOT teaching the subject, lazy teachers,( staff needs a complete overhaul) fund raising money not being used wisely, low parental involvement...I could go on and on...but we are out of there... so if you choose this school....just know you have been warned!

Asian 3% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • TCC
Fax number
  • (972) 423-3299

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Dallas

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1201 Alma Dr