Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

Have not had to deal with any issues involving bullying. I do like the new 'circle time' in the morning to help the students communicate with each other.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

They seem to care about their job and how their students are achieving. Would like less use of videos in the classroom though.

Amount of homework: Neutral

I see the homework topic in sort of a transition at this point. I think administration is starting to understand that most kids are getting entirely too much 'busy work' passed to them to complete at home. That time should be focused on family time and extra curricular activities. At this point I think it's becoming more of a 'complete work that wasn't completed during class' sort of thing and I'm happy with this strategy!

We've been involved with this school for 2 years now and love how our experience is going! The PTA is working very hard to incorporate our growing ESL community with our native English speaking families and we've seen a lot of growth because of it. I've personally seen the opportunities that our given to the students with such a diverse population of kids and the multicultural week is beyond impressive!!!!! I would like to see more opportunities for our English speaking students to learn Spanish, since my tax dollars are going to teach so many Spanish speaking children English. This is the ONLY reason why I can't give them a 'Great' status. Other than that it is a bright, warm and friendly school and I've seen countless times the teachers going above and beyond for their students!!!!!

Teachers go up and beyond what's expected. There is lots of extra things for the children to be involved in; PE Show, Chess Club, Cup Stacking Tourney, Fun Run, and Choir.

We really cherished the time that our daughter was at Hickey. The standards are high and they are well-organized. The only issue I ever had was that I would dread going up to the school if I had to pass the office first. The staff was less than friendly for sure.

I give this school a couple of stars for two excellant teachers that use to teach at this school. Like all Plano schools, if your child is above average, you will do fine. But, if your child is one of those kids who learn outside-of-the-box, forget about receiving FAPE, here. They have no clue how to teach children who learn differently. Instead of providing tools for scientific researched early interventions, they allow your child to be pulled out of the mainstream classroom to be taught their curriculum that will assist your child in passing their standardized state testing. So, when you ask them why they perform so poorly on the MAP and CogAct, they skate around the facts. Terrible school for children with learning disabilities and who need to be challenged!

While we are pleased with the education our son is receiving at Hickey, we question if he is getting the challenge he is in need of receiving. He just completed his 1st grade year with 100% MAP reading and 95% MAP math and reading at a 5th grade level and doing math at a 4th grade level. The Plano PACE program (for gifted children) has not accepted him into the program because they don't think he is gifted enough. We wonder what would have constituted gifted enough? 7th or 8th grade levels in 1st grade? We have our thoughts on why this may be, but best to keep them private. Therefore, while we like Hickey, we are considering moving out of Plano to a town with less taxes so we can afford a private school where REAL challenges occur daily for truly gifted students. A school where less red tape occurs for hard working families paying high tax dollars who are in need of a challenge for their child.

Hickey Elementary in the Stoney Hollow community is one of the best kept secrets in the Plano Neighborhoods. My daughter is in 1st grade and she's already doing 4th grade Math. The teachers encourage learning behavior and very communicative to parents on what's best for the child. Our friends in Frisco, Allen and Coppell are all envious of what Hickey has in their curriculum. The Plano-PACE program for Gifted and Talented is the best there is to offer. Unlike certain other neighborhood schools, Hickey's PACE classes are not just full of Indian and Asian kids, but from a very diverse cross-cultural mix of all the races (there are still 9 Indian/Asian kids in the PACE class of 18). A major part of this school's excellence is because of the school leadership. The Principal is constantly experimenting with better ways to do things, taking feedback from parents, and making improvements that helps the teachers and students. The Stoney Hollow community is very neighborly especially among the parents of Elementary School kids. Parents are usually working dads with part-time working or stay-at-home moms who are greatly involved with children's education.

Has been a fantastic school to be a part of! The children are our first concern.

Last modified Hickey Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.