Prairie Lea, TX

Posted November 23, 2013
I transferred my kids here several years ago when their school became low performing. There are fewer electives-but I like how the staff works with kids. The Spanish teacher also teaches math & the 1st grade teacher coaches tennis - seems like more than 1/2 the staff have big kid & little kid responsibilities. They extended school hours this year to a full eight hours 8-4- I think to add a computer/homework class for middle school kids-the counselor said the principal was tired of kids having lunch detention for not doing homework. Its the same principal the last reviewer talked about. I haven't talked to him much except when he called about absences. He told me he liked my kids a lot but needed them to be there at school and not absent. I didn't think they'd been absent much -but it turned out my ex hadn't been getting them there when she had them. We got that fixed & since then we are both called when the kids are absent. He started out by telling me who he was & that no one was in trouble or hurt. I got a kick out of that...isn't that we all worry about when you learn the principal is on the line? If you want fancy electives this isn't the place - otherwise, its worth it.

Posted February 12, 2012
The school is click-ish. I talked to principal about it. He said it was a problem & why he added Teen classes in jr./ sr. high & another group to help new elementary kids. My kids did get into the groove & I feel like they're safer than their last school. I've heard there used to be fights here to -but the principal's been there like 10 years & fights are rare. Whats's cool is I can talk to him "Mr. K" (don't no how to spell his name-kids call him Mr. K) anytime-he doesn't usually make me get an appointment-I had to wait forever at the kids' last school. The teachers rock to. I know they care. I don't have problems with communication-they send home fliers, put stuff on their electric sign, respond to emails, but they could do more on their website. I asked & the principal said 2 high school students maintain it & they graduate soon -he's worried about who will take over-not many volunteers help. He said he'd probably have new students do it. I volunteer when I can-I work full time. Lots of parents here sit around doing nothing. The buildings are old but well patched. My kids love it because they take tons of field trips and reward trips like the Honor roll trips to DQ or Fazolis.

Prairie Lea School 0

Posted May 05, 2009
I believe this is probably a great school for children who started there in pre-k or whose parents attended this school growing up. Its a very small school in a very small community, kinda 'clickish' if you ask me! A lack of communication between teachers and parents when a child has a problem in school, if your child doesnt tell you about it, then you just dont hear anything. always blame the new kid because its easier than picking up the phone and calling the parents of the bully or bullies because your more concerned with stepping on someones toes.

Posted December 18, 2008
Student A: I use to attend a bigger school that had 200 kids per grade. Although that was a small school the teachers could not pay close attention and give direction to a student on a personal level. My class here has 17 people in it and I love the fact that the teachers can interact on a more personal level with students. I like the school! Student B: I absolutely love this school!The student teacher ratio is awesome because it allows a teacher to focus more on his/her students, which is a very good thing. My parents chose Prairie Lea over other nearby schools for my education.

Prairie Lea School 1

Posted October 23, 2008
The school needs to close. There are not enough teachers or students. The students and my child were not ready for college and don't go because they are not prepared. My younger children now go to San Marcos to school.

Prairie Lea School 2

Posted November 06, 2007

Posted September 17, 2005
- a former student
I can think of no finer high school in such an area to send my kids to than Prairie Lea.

Posted July 15, 2005
I believe this school is the best school for my two daughters. They have completed each year with an a/b honor roll. Being that it is a small school it gives the teachers ability to focus on all the childrens needs in learning. Their many extracurricular activities gives many students a chance to partake in them, they have wide varriaty of sports from golf to football.Every so often they have an open house so the parents may see where their children are at. All the teachers there are unique and know how to deal with each child. There are two other school districts closer to my home, but I chose this one beacause it suits all my childrens needs.

Prairie Lea School
P O Box 9, Prairie Lea, TX  78661
Last modified Prairie Lea School is a Public school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Prairie Lea School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top