Prosper, TX

Posted May 20, 2015
It's been okay. Disappointed in my child's elementary school experience. Fourth grade was the worst - the teachers spent more time focusing on signing planners for anything they could think of or that got on their personal nerves (literally for chewing on a pencil one time, for an example, or standing "wrong"!) instead of focusing on the curriculum. Would have been great if the teachers had focused on teaching the ACTUAL CURRICULUM instead of this stuff. We were given the excuse of "Well, we have to get them ready for Rogers." Whatever. They just didn't want to have to work harder at teaching their actual subjects so they kept themselves busy with this so they could look like they were doing something. I was expecting to be sad for my child to leave elementary school, but I'm actually happy that Folsom is about to be in our rear view mirror.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted May 20, 2015
Again, the principal and the counselor do. I think Katie McClain and Addie Thornton encourage compassion and kindness.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted May 20, 2015
The principal does and so does the counselor. The teachers are not particularly motivated. They see a lot of unkind behavior that they do not address.

Posted May 13, 2015
I would have to classify this school as simply adequate. We've had five teachers at this school, not including specials (electives) or PE. It would be a stretch to call any of them exemplary teachers, but we did have one that was better than the others. None of them seem inclined to want to put forth much effort towards being excellent at teaching the children. They're working moms and they want to get the day finished and go home. They do what they are required to do, but little more. When volunteering, you see an awful lot of them playing on their phones, or on Facebook or Pinterest, or chatting with each other rather than engage with their students one-on-one. The principal, counselor, nurse, and office staff are all very good, however, and that helps keep it from being a negative learning environment. It seems that the teachers are under the impression that teaching in an exemplary district means that they don't have to make much of an effort to be great at their jobs. As a result, they're not.

R Steve Folsom Elementary School 1

Posted January 16, 2014
The school focuses on the kids that are in the middle. They are at a lose with smart kids or kids that struggle. Their ability to teach with different styles is very limited. They want to appear that they are working with your student but rather they are just trying to get your student to the next grade not actually teach them. We had Mrs Hartsel

Posted July 03, 2013
We had a great experience at Folsom.We have 3 children in Prosper ISD and have been pleased overall with the district.The administration and teachers at Folsom are outstanding.

Posted November 19, 2012
My daughter did Kindergarten at Folsom Elementary and we were very happy with the dual-language immersion program and faculty.

Posted October 28, 2012
We are new to the Prosper area and have been very pleased with Folsom elementary. As a teacher myself, I have been interested in the content and instructional methods as well as the leadership and overall experience. My kids really love their teachers and have been encouraged and included in everything in order to make them feel welcome. Ms. Jones, the principal is wonderful! She communicates everything to parents and has worked really hard on developing unity and school pride!

Posted September 30, 2011
Prosper ISD is an Excellent school district. Unfortunately, Folsom has the worst administration of the entire district. The teachers are fine. As long as your child has no issues that require assistance beyond the classroom, you will be happy with the school. You have to go to the district administration to accomplish anything that requires additional attention. My child was identified as gifted long before we moved to Prosper 4 years ago. I submitted her standardized, national test scores 3 times over the entire school year before we got any response from the school. The same story is true for many famiilies, even those whose children truly have special needs.

Posted June 21, 2010
My children have been attending school at Folsom for the past 4 years and we have loved it! The teachers truly care about their students' best interests and raise the educational bar for them with challenging, student centered instruction. As a former teacher myself, I am impressed by how involved and enthusiastic the Principal is, and how her faculty and staff strive to keep the lines of communication open. Even my nephew who attends jr. high in another district is always commenting on how much my kids are learning compared to what he learned at the same age. I can't say enough about the wonderful education Prosper I.S.D. offers!

800 Somerville Drive, Prosper, TX  75078
Last modified R Steve Folsom Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
R Steve Folsom Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top