Prosper High School

Public | 9-12 | 1628 students

Posted Saturday, September 27, 2014

PHS is well-known for their school spirit and Prosper Rumble, performed at the pep rallies. I think the first year we did the Rumble, the kids actually did enjoy it. But I am afraid all the publicity the principal only seems to care about being the best. What people don't realize is these kids are FORCED to learn these rumble dances. They miss class in order to practice for the pep rallies.They get real grades in real classrooms History and geography, on how well they learn the school song.The principal SCREAMS at the kids, threatens them, if they do not participate in the pep rallies. School spirit comes from WITHIN, it cannot be forced.Watching Prosper Rumble 2.0 I did not see kids filled with school spirit, I saw kids being forced to perform for ratings. I was also taken with the pep rallies when they started and was excited about the school spirit. But if this principal doesn't get a grip soon he is going to kill what he is trying to hard to create. Being the best should not be the the goal, leading the kids to legitimately care about each other and their school, should. Get a grip, Prosper, and stop blindly supporting this. School is for learning, after all, or so I thought.

Posted August 11, 2014

Prosper has been very good for my children academically. The school has outstanding school spirit. Unfortunately, the athletic department is a country club for the rich kids or what you do for the coach. The best players do not always play. It is how connected you are to the coach and how much you kiss his behind. There are things that go on that should not.

Posted April 23, 2014

:D My school is Awesome! No matter what all those kids and students from other schools say Prosper is a school for everyone :D I am a middle class student or more like my family is middle class. And sure people in Prosper have nice things but that shouldn't change your high school experience...that should be up to you....and how you decide to live your high school life. Let me just say the "rich gang" things we say is because we are "rich in our academics, and in our class rooms" which I know sounds kinda not for high schoolers but it really keeps us motivated. I love how our principal is motivated, and keeps us pumped up for games...last year I never even went to basketball or football games cause I thought it was just a waste of time but he's created this section for students to support our team and help get us closer as a school and I like that. I believe that the way they run things as far as punishment is fair game.if you do something wrong and you did it on purpose then that's on your kid...they made their decision, and so they pay the consequences. I love how my school supports new students who come to prosper :) If I we're to move some where Prosper is definitely the place

Posted November 14, 2013

This school is so great, it has so much school spirit and the principle is awesome! I couldn't imagine going anywhere else! I'm a freshman and upperclassmen were so sweet and welcoming when I got here! I wouldn't trade my experience here for anything else and can't wait to finish my highschool career here, I can already tell these are gonna be some of the best years of my life!

Posted October 5, 2013

I'm a student here. If you are well off and have a nice house, nice cars, and a lot of money then prosper is the place for you! Prosper is all stuck up and snobby about the material things they have. You will be the most popular and well liked kid if you are so called "rich". The students even have a boastful chant they like to yell "rich gang" at football games. It really is a terrible place with no class at all. If you are a middle class kid or even lower class then you need to stay away from prosper. The other students will show off and it will make you feel terrible just because your parents don't have as much money. Not to mention are new principle that prosper got last year is way to stict and shoves school spirit down you throat and will outcast you if you don't show it. It is really counter productive. Plus the principle is extremely strict and runs this school like a prison. Even some of the teachers will complain about how bad it is. All you need to remember is if you have money and like to show off, then come to prosper! If not then stay away because that's all that's here...

Posted August 17, 2013

We are an upper middle class family that moved into the school district approximately two (2) years ago. We are pleased with the academics of the middle school and high school, but are very displeased with the athletics. The middle school and high school athletes are played based on their parents involvement with the programs and connections with the coaches. We have always told our kids to work hard and out play the other kids and you will play. NOT at this school. Hard work by the parents and money pays offs at theses schools.

Posted August 9, 2013

We moved into the Prosper School District with our oldest entering his sophomore year. It was rough for him fitting in at first, but since Mr. Wright came in, the morale of the school has changed. He is great!! Dr. Watkins helped our younger child feel welcome on his first day at Folsom as a 4th grader. I've seen his presence at many school functions with a crowd of kids around him. Not everything is perfect, but it has much more to offer than the district we came from. We can't stop telling people what a great district we have moved into. I will also add we are a middle class family and not one of the affluent ones everyone is complaining about. Most everyone we have met is always friendly and welcoming to us.

Posted July 31, 2013

Very difficult to fit in. Also found out my daughter is behind in math and science, yet they passed her anyway. Socially, this school has been a horrible experience for my daughter. Academically, we have also suffered.

Posted July 3, 2013

Fantastic experience at Prosper HIgh Shool.Wonderful administration.We moved here from Greenwich,CT and had high expectaions for our sons education.Prosper ISD met those expectations.We are an academically focused family and have been beyond pleased with every aspect of Prosper High School.One of the nicest HIgh Schools aesthetically that I have ever seen.State of the art facilities,beautiful building. I would stronly revommend Prosper High School.

Posted June 7, 2013

Prosper High School has one of the best administration and faculty I have ever experienced. I have been an educator/administrator for almost 30 years. PHS has finally got it right with Mr. Wright and his fantastic team of administrator, teachers and staff. Whomever wrote the comment about Dr. Watkins obviously has not met and dealt with him on a continual basis. He is one of the best administrators I have every known. Prosper ISD has grown tremendously in the last 10 years. Considering all of their growing pains, they have done a great job of accommodating all of the issues that come with a growing district. There is not a perfect school anywhere... There are the good one, then there are the Great Ones...PHS is becoming one of the Great Ones. So glad Mr. Wright is leading this campus. It will only get better with him in charge.

Posted December 26, 2012

The school district is led by an amazing, committed, and extremely competent superintendent who has helped set the example for what a good school should look/act like.

Posted August 23, 2012

If the school would be rid of Dr. Watkins it would be great. Until then, it will be in the bottom tier of Collin County.

Posted April 17, 2012

Mrs. Butler, Mr. Harpole, and Dr. Brasseaux are the utmost professionals when it comes to leadership. Dedicated, loyal, love the students, and do what is in the best interest of the students and community. Both teachers and students love and respect them. We hope they stay around for along time, because without them PHS is lost.

Posted November 7, 2011

We are a middle class family, and both of our children love the Prosper School District. The student body is friendly, welcoming, fun and respectful. The teachers are great, and help is always available. We feel that our kids are well prepared for college when graduating from Prosper High School. Both, the middle and high school principal are very competent, and we feel that Dr. Watkins is a wonderful Superintendent who truly loves and cares for the students. Yes, most of the families in the district are affluent, but everybody is very nice and friendly. We feel strongly that this is a fantastic school and recommend it highly.

Posted October 15, 2011

Most of the teachers are excellent. Leadership is lacking. The Superintendent has sold out to the high income parents and lets them dictate how the school will be run. I guess his quarter million dollar salary is enough job satisfaction. As stated by another reviewer, buyer beware!

Posted September 21, 2011

If I could describe Prosper High School with one word it would be "Wow" - with a positive connotation of course! I joined middle of sophmore year, and immediatly was welcomed with open arms by staff and students! Some reviews bitterly describe being dealt a short hand if one does not come from an affluent household, however I am squarely middle class, and fit in fine (with a little help from plato's closet). Most kids have been raised with a higher morale, and christian values, and it certainly is clear in the way we treat our peers! The teachers teach vigorious classes, and offer before and after school tutoring for those who need it. Even the counseling staff is fantastic, constantly engaged as I make my decisions about my future; helping me find scholarships, schools, and write applications. I don't know what I would do without them! I find Mrs. Butler a fantastic principal, who firmly practices her authority yet listens wholeheartedly to the students. I love my school, and would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat! GO PROSPER EAGLES!!!

Posted November 18, 2010

Prosper High School needs some serious prayers. A nice new building with a very weak administrative "team." It's time for a couple of leaders that have been there to move on. Great teaches and students without the support that they need.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 1, 2010

I hope this is helpful if your considering PISD. I decided to write a comment about PHS because I am reading comments about the schools I am considering sending my 2nd born to & find the comments very helpful. Prosper ISD from Middle School on is great for the jocks, preps and students who are trying to keep up with the Jones. My family is upper middle class with non athletic children and we are not it! The education my son, who is graduating this year has received is superlative. He is in all AP classes this year. He has made a great group of like minded friends, but my three younger children have not fared so well. If you are NOT pretentious, Prosper ISD may not be the place for your family.

Posted September 13, 2010

I have raised 4 kids in the Prosper ISD in the last 20 years. My youngest is in High School. Sadly, I must say that I will be taking her out and moving her to another nearby district. True Prosper is having growing pains I believe overall we have good teachers and staff. However, parents are in charge of the schools and if you do not drive a BMW or Mercedes on your sixeenth birthday then you will have no friends. Bad behaviour is rewarded and parents are in denial. So I would not recommend Prosper High Schools as a healthy learning environment or value based parenting community.

Posted November 25, 2009

I'm surprised as I read these reviews. It seems people decide it's a good school if their student does well/loves it; its a bad school if you child doesn't do well/doens't love it. I have a child who dropped out of high school. I have a other children that did amazing things academically. The school is excellent. The teachers are wonderful and caring. It's a shame that I didn't recognize that my student struggling needed something different, and I didn't find it. My child would have struggled in 99% of the schools in the US...that doesn't mean 99% of schools are bad. Prosper develops programs based on student interest. A group of students wanted to learn more about robots...so they got a teacher to sponsor a robot club. Your student can make ANY experience what they want it to be. Make your experience great!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

304 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

301 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

273 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

274 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

274 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

270 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

325 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

322 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

326 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

322 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students99%

All Students100%
Female100%
Special education100%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

276 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

382 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

358 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

385 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

396 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

364 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

363 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

349 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

381 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

367 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 5%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

301 Eagle Drive