Red Oak, TX
Students enrolled: 1,850
After care: No

Posted December 11, 2014
I loved the education my two children received at Red Oak High School. I think a good education is the responsibility of not only the school, however, but the parents as well. This puts parents in the responsibile role of finding outside help if it is needed to supplement a child's learning, and if supplemental help is required, that is fine. Both of my children are doing great at the four-year colleges they are attending, and I give the credit to Red Oak ISD! Their AP program is outstanding!!! I do think you have to know what each child needs....and some kids just need more help than others. Teachers at RO do their best to provide for their students.... from what my family and friends have seen!

Red Oak High School 2

Posted December 10, 2014
This school is below average at best. My son is a senior and had we not made sacrifices outside of school to supplement the inadequate education at RO, he would not be college-ready at all. I feel so sorry for the parents who want a good school for their children, but are unable to afford outside tutoring and classes necessary for them to obtain a decent education that Red Oak fails to provide.

Posted September 24, 2013
Big enough to offer unique programs, and small enough to feel like an individual. My daughter attends ROHS and I love the fact that she has so many clubs, sports and programs to choose from. Urging your kids to get involved will mean a better year for them and you. Any time I've had an issue, the office staff seems eager to talk it through. Just sayin'

Posted May 10, 2013
The school falls short when it comes to handling disruptive students. My son has classes where problematic students are preventing the planned lessons from taking place. Something needs to be done.

Posted April 26, 2013
Has a dumbed down curriculum (research CSCOPE); teachers that are treated badly and harassed by incompetent tyrannical vice-principal; students know they don't have to work and learn because the district lets them recover credits by takin a short computer course after they fail regular courses. Teachers are beaten down and have given up, so they just go along. District is led by a superintendent who is totally focused on the money--thus they will allow anything to happen as long as kids show up every day so they collect their funding which is based on daily attendance. Weeks and weeks of instruction time are sacrificed by incessant testing and assessments, some of which are put together by central office personnel with no knowledge of subject matter--teachers are excluded from participating in any determination of instructional policy--total top-down political administration. Principal bows down to system and does not support teachers. I do not recommend.

Posted January 23, 2013
Love this school and everything about it! Keep your problem kids in other schools, please :D

Posted January 22, 2013
I am a mother of a Young Lady at ROHS and I love the school. She has attended Red Oak schools since ROJHS. Yes there are kids who pick and prod other kids but that is not the schools fault. That would be the parents not doing what they need to with their kids. My daughter has been picked on for her acne and I talk to her daily to see whatis going on now. My daughter doesn't bully people because she is. I as a parent have taught her not to be a bully. I don't put the blame on the School for bullies I put it on the parents. My daughter loves the schools and beged me to stay in Red Oak when we were looking at moving. A school is not just the Principals, teachers, and staff. It is the students and the whole community. I am glad my daughter is at Red Oak and so is she. All my support to the teachers who have to put up with disruptive kids. I am a big part of the program my daughter is in and will always like the teachers for what they have taught her. Red Oak is a great place to be.

Posted December 10, 2012
Count me as a parent who isn't pleased with this school at all. Poor teacher quality, weak academics, out of control students and incompetent leaders who consistently fail to address these problems are the main reasons this school has continued to rapidly decline. Also, bullying is definitely a major problem at ROHS. It has happened to my son and his friends and nothing is being done to address it. The fact that several other parents have mentioned bullying of students in their posts just shows you how widespread the problem is. I posted my comment here and later the same day, I was attacked in another post for exposing the bullying problems at this school. That is what you have to deal with at Red Oak High when you speak up. If it was your kid being picked on, you wouldn't be making excuses for the bullies.

Posted September 22, 2012
I have a son who is a senior at ROHS this year, and he has received an excellent education and will be prepared for college next year. He is currently enrolled in two dual credit classes and two advanced placement classes. The reason this site has received as many negative reviews is the fact that generally, people who are disgruntled are the ones who speak. Those who are content do not think to comment on sites such as this one. I truly believe that there are many more satisfied parents of students in Red Oak ISD than there are those who are dissatisfied.

Posted July 10, 2012
Despite the rosy picture some would like to paint, I wouldn't recommend this school at all. My child who has never been in trouble, is soft-spoken, and has a learning disability was frequently bullied this past year. I reported this to the administration, but it continued. Knowing what my son went through, it sickens me to read some of the responses that called bullying 'ridiculous' and saying 'it happens everywhere.' That seems to be the prevailing mentality: sweep it under the rug, deny that a problem exists, and then do nothing. I'm sure if their child was being bullied, they would be as fed up as I am. I have always been an active parent in my son's education and he is a good student. He was never harassed and bullied until he attended Red Oak High. There is no way that I would send him back there. Great or even good schools have competent administrators who work to ensure that every student has a safe environment in which to learn and succeed. ROHS does NOT meet that standard. I also find it a little suspicious that six reviews were posted within a two-day period in May 2012 when it took over two years for the prior six comments to be posted.

Red Oak High School
220 S. State Hwy. 342, Red Oak, TX  75154
Last modified Red Oak High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Red Oak High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top