Bad
Good

My husband talks about our school and says "It's just like Mayberry." We might be dating ourselves with that comment as some reading are thinking, "Where's that?" If you remember your TV Land trivia, Mayberry is the town where everyone is friendly, the community is a force, where money and materials don't seem to matter much. That is our school. Our teachers are gifted, love their jobs, and are, hopefully, well cared for. The PTA presence is strong and supported by the school and district, and it seems to get stronger each day. What I have found as a mom of four (which means I am involved in lots of athletics/organizations/places where I interact with lots of parents), is that everyone here pretty much has the same mission: Raise up respectful, kind, loving, happy kids in addition to providing them with a quality public education. Parents don't care what brand of jeans you're wearing, and there isn't a mom here who has a spray tan or drives an H2 that blocks the stroller ramp. If you come to our community, you are going to be welcomed and loved. We want you here. Our kids love it here--so much so that when they have kids, they move back here to raise their kids.

We moved from a more northern suburb to be in RISD. I previously taught at JJ Pearce (the high school that Canyon Creek feeds into) and knew it was a great school. There were several things I did not like about the other school including that they had 4 kindergarten classes and they had a policy of not working on higher level materials with kids that were ready to do more. This was the reason for our move. Canyon Creek has 1 or 2 kindergarten classes depending on the year. It is easy to get to know the other families because of the tight knit community. I feel like I know everyone at the school. The community is wonderful. The mothers organize pre-K pladates so that the kids can get to know each other before school even starts. So, my child that is entering kindergarten will know a ton of friends on the first day. I appreciate that the staff absolutely goes above and beyond to provide my very academic child with daily challenges and more difficult coursework. This was a huge frustration at our previous school. There are a few other excellent RISD elementary schools, but we picked this one because it is smaller. You can get plugged in more quickly at a smaller school.

This school is small, and every parent and teacher knows my child. Everyone in the neighborhood is very involved, and you can really count on teacher support to make sure you child is being challenged.

My foster son thrived in this environment. He developed by leaps and bounds after coming to me with deficits in math and reading, he jumped almost 2 grades in 10 months.

The principal, teachers, staff and parents are devoted to the students.

The parents and staff make this an excellent school.

I love the parent involvement. We have great teachers also!

Canyon Creek Elementary has very good teachers and staff who truly care about the welfare of the students as well as the academics.

The parents, students, teachers and staff really care about their school. Everyone takes ownership in the learning of the students at Canyon Creek. They say it takes a village to raise a child and I am glad Canyon Creek is part of my 'village.'

I love the student/teacher ratio. Also, we love the way all the families stay so involved and close.

Last modified Canyon Creek Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.