Roanoke, TX

John M Tidwell Middle School 5

Posted February 26, 2015
Please ignore the other comments below about Tidwell. I have now had all three of my children at Tidwell and couldn't be more happier. The teachers have always been considerate of my special needs student- especially the 6th grade teachers, reading being his favorite! Spending years at Granger Elementary and getting daily updates, it does take a little bit to get used to the communication procedures, but the teachers are teaching 100+ students as opposed to 20. All my kids and their friends are happy there- be positive. Remember when choosing a school most reviews are written by disgruntled parents looking for a voice, not a true picture of the school.

Posted February 25, 2015
It is extremely disappointing knowing that my child hates the school that he attends (Tidwell). My child has been humiliated, belittled, and neglected by the unprofessional, childish so call teachers that are employed at Tidwell to the point that he has no desire to attend school. I feel that the teachers are only there to get a paycheck. I also feel like most of the staff that I have come in contact with put on a front as if they really care. I would not recommend anyone to even bring their dog or pet to attend this school.

John M Tidwell Middle School 5

Posted February 12, 2015
My son has thrived at Tidwell. He has always been a good student; however, he struggled in adjusting to middle school as we moved into NISD. His teachers have shown dedication to helping him advance in his education. They have been there every step of the way with tutorials, parent communication, and encouragement. The coaching staff has done a great job of pushing my son to work hard and develop strong work ethic in class as well as extracurricular activities. He has been afforded the opportunity to participate in a top notch orchestra program. The Top Titans program encourages a well-rounded student with emphasis on academics, citizenship and community service. The principal has addressed our concerns promptly and with great consideration for our time and our son's best interests. The key to a great educational experience is a partnership with the school, child and parents. All three must be all in to make it work. Through Titan Dads, and other parent involvement opportunities this has been one of the best middle school experiences imaginable. I highly recommend TMS! Go, Titans.
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 03, 2014
This school sucks! The teachers suck and VERY greedy for their checks! The lack of communication is HORRIFIC! If you're moving into the area DON'T JUST DON'T! My son has been bullied as well as my daughter! They didn't do a thing about it!

Posted August 05, 2014
This school is horrible, terrible, and just plain out bad. If you want your child to be harassed daily by other students, this is a perfect school. I'm looking for another school now.

Posted June 08, 2014
Recently my son was harmed in a pepper spray accident at this school. He was denied any immidiate help, and like his other peers had to suffer with irritated throaghts for the remainder of the day. I want not informed of this until he came home later that day. If you don't care about your child's education then by all means send them here, but if you care about your kid this is the last place for them to be. The principal at this school doesn't know how to take action. She cares more about silent lunch than a child's safety. I will pray for your children if they are unfortunate enough to attend this school. I wish I could give this school a -1 star rating.

Posted June 06, 2014
I would agree with the other comments parents have left. I am hoping administration takes notice and does something soon. The principal is an unprofessional and uninformed administrator who needs to be evaluated before being allowed to continue another year. The communication with some teacher's is lacking in a way that is beyond understanding. This school is one of 2 schools in NISD that is designated for SEAC students, yet the SEAC staff is always understaffed and never able to carry out the promises they make. Children aren't taught but instead handed grades so that the SEAC staff does not have to provide the education they are rightfully afforded. I know that other middle schools in this district are much more competent so there is no reason why this one is as bad as it is. There are a few shining stars at that school and I really hope that they do not choose to leave due to the lack of professionalism shown by other teachers and administration. NISD, you need to do your due diligence and start looking into this school before your ranking goes from a 9 to a 1 on this website!

Posted May 05, 2014
My child is a straight A student and feels like this school is not challenging enough compared to her old elementary school. That is dissapointing and unacceptable. If an elementary school (that was in an entirely different district) is more challenging to a student than a middle school that is in one of the best districts in the state then there is something fundamentally wrong within the structure of this school. The so-called "Pre-AP" classes don't enhance the education of the student (but at least they are more competent than the On-Level classes). Some teachers in high-school classes sit around on their phones for the majority of the class period, procrastinating (It's as if they're watching Netflix on their phones or have something extremely important to say via texting. If our students get in trouble for texting and have their phones taken away, the teachers should as well). As a parent, I'd like to think my taxes are going to good use, but I can see they're not, seeing as how the school is so cheap (but if I wasn't a parent I'd sincerely consider moving out of this area). Overall, this school should be given an even worse rating than I have the power to give it. Leave now.

Posted May 01, 2014
Tidwell IS NOT the school you want your child to attend. Both of my children have complained about their learning experiences at this particular NorthWest ISD school. I myself, feel that the communication level is ridiculous from the teachers. Also, the professionalism from the administrative department is absolutely embarrassing to know that my childern attend this school. The way that the disciplinary actions are implemented are also absurd. The Teachers at Tidwell acts as if they are students as well, some are immature and are incapable of displaying good leadership skill to the students. From what my childern come home and tell me about what is being discuss by the teachers is absolutely irrelevant to my kids education.... Seems as if all the teachers want is a check!!!

Posted April 21, 2014
The communication skills when it relates to the "parent-teacher" at Tidwell is HORRIBLE!!!!!!! Some of the teachers at this school are very UNPROFESSIONAL. Also, the administrative department could use a course in "how to do my job"!!!!!!!!!

John M Tidwell Middle School
3937 Haslet-Roanoke Road, Roanoke, TX  76262
Last modified John M Tidwell Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John M Tidwell Middle School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top