PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

This school has been nothing but fantastic in the way the students are taught, valued and loved on. The headmaster, who began this year as his first year here, has the kindest heart for the students of this school and has grown so close to our hearts. He has made great changes for the school and I can't wait to see how much more the school grows in the coming years! Overall this school is a great environment for students of all ages and will be well taken care of! Highly recommend!

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

Our family has not experienced extreme bullying in this setting. The discipline problems we have experienced have been handled, and the emphasis on developing character among the students is aa driving factor in how the kids behave.

We have had kids at HCA for 7 years- my kids have been loved, encouraged, mentored, and pushed to excel. I find the expectations to be high, the environment to be conducive to learning, and the curriculum to be challenging.

HCA is a great school. We've enjoyed every bit of it from the family atmosphere to the academics. If we've had an issue, it's been nice to be able to come together with the teacher or staff and resolve it as one body of Christ. I would highly recommend it.

Supports LD students: Agree

We have never been a part of the school's learning lab, which is to help students with mild learning differences, but I only hear good things about the program and its director, Nan.

Develops character: Strongly agree

We came to HCA to not only give our child a good education but also to mold them in Christian values. That has been the biggest blessing.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I love all the teacher we've had/have, and they have truly been a blessing and mentor to my child. Things haven't always been perfect, but that's going to be the case anywhere. I just appreciate the time and effort they give to resolve an issue if it arises.

Amount of homework: Agree

My experience has been that homework has been essential in the growth and learning of my child, but it also hasn't been over assigned or been given too much as busy work.

My child went to HCA for nearly three years. The first two years were great, I felt like we had found a school that we could stay in for the rest of my child's school career. Unfortunately the headmaster Dr. Taylor retired last year and 2016-2017 school year started a new shift at HCA. The headmaster they replaced him with may very well be good but we wouldn't know it because he is practically invisible. Dr. Taylor was a presence constantly, he greeted you in the morning and afternoon. He knew who's children belonged to which families and he was involved in everything the way you would want to see leadership involved. This year was the worst in the 6 years my child has been in school. Mrs. Minter is ineffective (I've known that for 3 years though). She can't handle conflict so she ignores anyone or any situation that is uncomfortable for her which is common but if you are headmistress over elementary you have no choice but to address issues. She waited till things were so out of control regardless of my constant request for meetings and help. The 4th grade teacher was a complete bully she started trying to bully my child and when I got involved and made it clear I wouldn't tolerate it she started looking for everything possible to pick at him for (including if he took to long going to the bathroom). My child is high functioning autistic and sometimes takes longer performing tasks due to processing and she took advantage of that to call him out in front of his classmates on a regular basis to embarrass him and demean him. The other 4th grade teacher went along with it and never stepped in to remedy things which is just as bad. Private schools are everywhere and yes while HCA is cheaper than most it isn't worth saving the extra $ to put up with the terrible treatment. We will gladly take our money to a better run private school where they practice the Christian values they teach.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Definitely a negative bullying is one of their biggest problems. Not just the students but the teachers and staff also.

Last modified Heritage Christian Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12