Brushy Creek Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 788 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 18, 2014

Great school! Everyone is so friendly and my daughter just loves going to school everyday thanks to her amazing teacher, Mrs. Wilson!

Posted November 12, 2013

My family has been here many years and we love this school! My children have left BCE very prepared for middle school. The staff is friendly and the teachers are amazing.

Posted November 12, 2013

I have had three children at Brushy Creek and have a wonderful expierence with all of them. The teachers are outstanding and care about the individule need of each of their students!

Posted November 12, 2013

We just recently moved here from out of state. Although Texas is a little over board with all the vacination shots neede, my experience enrolling my children at Brushy Creek has been very positive. We look forward to a great year and years to come!

Posted September 17, 2013

There are several negative comments about this school. I agree with the comments about the principal. I have never found him to be open to parent input. However, the teachers were awesome. My son was blessed to have the best teachers from Kindergarten through 5th grade. He was encouraged and challenged to always do his best. Brushy Creek also better prepared my son for Middle School. Whereas other students struggled their 6th grade year at Cedar Valley, students who went to Brushy Creek were better prepared academically and socially.

Posted August 12, 2013

Moved my only son to this school a year back and we have been very pleased with the school so far. My son loves his teacher and I really like her too. We are really happy to have same teacher this year as well. The staff and principal are extremely nice. Excellent school with great environment. Though one reviewer complained about 'catering foreigner', I am extremely happy that we never felt being in foreign or treated as foreigners. Loved the way kids get to learn about diverse cultures. Parent involvement is very high. We love our school.

Posted August 9, 2013

My family has had an absolutely GREAT experience at Brushy Creek Elementary. Very warm and dedicated teachers, each with their own unique personalities and styles that have worked really well for my kids. The community of families is very friendly and open. I've been able to volunteer quite a bit at the school to get to know many of the staff and know this is the perfect fit for us (our kids will be at this school through 2023 and I couldn't be happier). Highly recommended!

Posted May 21, 2012

After having my children in this school for a few years now, I feel that I know enough to give a valid opinion. I have read some of the other reviews and I have to agree with many of the positive and the negative ones. I think the school has SOME great teachers, but many not as great and a few that maybe shouldn't be teaching anymore. Teachers need to be more aware that there are children who may not be in TAG but are ahead of the group as well and therefore need to be challenged and not pulled back. Some teacher are simply over-rated, rude and not open to any comments or opinions that are not of great praise or agreement. Administration leaves a lot to be desired, except for a couple of people. I think they forget who they are working for. Principal is a good polititian... eager to "hear" what you have to say, but not willing to change things for good. Some teachers seem to be loaded with all the "trouble" kids and then not offered sufficient support, that is just unfair and wrong.

Posted May 8, 2011

My family loves Brushy Creek! The teachers are amazing and are willing to go the extra mile if my children need extra help or need to be challenged. Our population is diverse and everyone brings something different which makes Brushy Creek very unique. The administration, PTA, and teachers all work together to make Brushy Creek a great school.

Posted May 7, 2011

I went to this school from the end of first grade and continued all the way through to the last day of fifth grade. This school was amazing to me and the teachers were great. I once had a 'girl problem' in 3rd grade and I trusted my amazing teacher enough to talk to her about it. The teachers were always kind, and they all taught me so many things, not just academic stuff, but manners and social skills too. I visit every once in a while and they're always glad to see a old student. If i could I would relive it all over again. Those were some of the best years of my life and I love the teachers and other staff hat taught my friends and me so much. I will never forget that school.

Posted May 6, 2011

I really enjoy teaching at this school. The community is amazing! Parents are supportive, teachers are dedicated and intelligent, and the culture of the students is diverse. Students are encouraged to problem solve and seek enrichment opportunities. I personally don't ever give up on my students but care deeply about their success and will work tirelessly for each child that walks through my door.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 19, 2011

I love this school! My daughter has gone to Brushy Creek for 2 years and we couldn't have asked for better teachers. The school has a very active PTA, involved parents, and fabulous teachers and administrative staff. I have found the principal, Mr. Ryan, to be actively involved in the school and very receptive to parent feedback.

Posted March 27, 2011

I have to agree with the last 2 entries. I hate this school. If you are going to cut funding in RRISD LET IT BE THIS ONE! Ther is not enough space to detail all that is wrong with this school.

Posted February 15, 2011

This school is terrible. Only one of my children's teachers is any good at educating. Some of the teachers are mean to the students and make them cry. They do not do a good job of explaining assignments. They have horrible communication skills. They do not do well with students who are advanced. They do not protect students from being made fun of. They have a horrible drop off and pick up system and DO NOT provide buses unless you live very far away. The cafeteria is atrocious. The staff belittles the parents. Their security system is totally flawed. Mostly, I worry about what my kids didn't learn this year instead of what they did learn. I have straight A students but they are ignored so that they can help those that are having major issues. Sad situation here. I heard this was a good school which is why we moved into this district. Now I can't wait to move out.

Posted February 14, 2011

I have a lot of experience with schools and districts. This is a horrible school. I would not recommend it to anyone. The communication is terrible (they think they are amazing at it), they tell kids that what their mom put in their lunch is not healthy (even if it actually is for a child who is underweight), they use some sort of ridiculous system for "expressing" their feelings, they tolerate bullying and put kids directly into discussions with each other over it, their drop of pickup system is atrocious (enjoy spending almost an hour in line everyday both ways) and they cater to foreigners. Find another school if you can. I would never recommend this school to anyone. Hoping we will be transferred soon.

Posted October 13, 2008

We had three children attend Brushy Creek and did not have a positive experience. The staff does not know how to handle kids who are not 90% or above. The principal Mr. Ryan is completely closed off to any parental input. The school could not accommodate any child with special needs. We pulled our three children out and they are much happier. My kindergartener's first experience with school at Brushy Creek was awful. She hated school.

Posted May 8, 2008

Our son started attending Brushy Creek in 2007 and we are so blessed! He has had an amazing experience. Not only has he become more mature but also has developd interest in almost all the subjects- reading, math, writing, arts, music. Ms. Walsh, his teacher, is an amazing tutor and is a key contributor to the growth of these young minds. The new principal, Mr. Ryan, also seems to be much involved in school activities and makes it a point to interact with parents. We love the school and have recieved similar feedback from everyone else.

Posted May 6, 2006

2 of our 3 children attended Brushy Creek Elementary. The school is outstanding, focusing on the key elements of strong academic foundation; character and social dev. Strong history of amazing parental and school partnership. The library is first rate and now serves as a center of activity. This school produces great readers and that leads to academic success. The administration is open, listens to parents and kids. Great campus, safety concious w/o being 'closed' off and school pride and inclusiveness are evident. The teachers are dedicated, smart, fun and clearly love kids in this age group. 4.5 stars out of 5, easily. The only area I would change is to improve is making advanced and enrichment classes more widely available to more advanced students. That is, all smart kids may not fit the 'gifted' slot yet they are far ahead of most -- these kids need AP classes.

Posted January 29, 2006

Good school with great parental involvement. Teachers really care about the students

Posted January 19, 2006

WOW! Brushy Creek is a TREASURE of wealth. The principal Ms. Amacher really has a heart for the kids, parents and her number one goal is to see that the children succeed. The diversity of the school is an extra bonus...having the ability to learn first hand the different cultures has been a blessing to my children. We have friends all over the world because of our connection with this school. Don't let the exterior fool you...Wisdom comes from AGE!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

124 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

129 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

132 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

131 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

136 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

100 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

103 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

103 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Female99%

Special education80%
Not special education97%
Non-migrant96%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students95%

Proficient in English86%
Non-migrant85%
Non-Gifted84%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian 13% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3800 Stonebridge