School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

We are aware of the previous successes and struggles that Herfurth Elementary has faced. Back in the day Herfurth was the place to send your children. We want all of the parents to know that "we are coming back." Herfurth will be turning into a Montessori magnet school. The first magnet in Rowlett and the best philosophy in education. We are about to give the Rowlett community something wonderful!
July 25, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

This school is terrible, they do absolutely nothing about bullying, they tell the kids theyre constantly forcing the children to bring money to school or they will fail the child. The Nurse is someone they pulled off the street. She sent my child home for Eczema! I had to leave work drive 45 minutes and explain to my child that she's not a walking disease. On top of that some months later the nurse decided it was okay to treat a rash on my daughters arm without informing me! When I brought this to her attention she lied and said they didn't have my number on file, when I asked the receptionist what numbers they had she revealed both mine and my husband's cell numbers...... yet this person is still the nurse! I switched schools, I can no longer allow this school to be a potential hazard to my child

I attended a parents meeting this morning and was racially profiled. Just because I am of Mexican decent does not mean I do not speak English. They held the entire meeting in Spanish and all the staff that was there spoke to me in Spanish, not one of them asked if I spoke English or Spanish. The staff in charge never said any of the information in English. I wasn't even the only English speaking person there. There were two other people who they segregated at a English only table, so I walked over and say there with them. When I brought the incident up to the principal she showed no remorse for her staffs actions or her own because she too was at the meeting. I'm so embarrassed that my kids attend their school. The administration should be ashamed of themselves.

Develops character: Neutral

The staff makes this school great!!! They truly care about the students and about each other.

Kindergarten was great. It wasn't until first grade that we became very unsatisfied with this school. First of all, the communication between the teachers and the principals is appalling. I cannot believe how poorly this school is run. This school is probably okay for below average students but offers very little for a student that excels. In fact your above average student has to sit by themselves and do computer time while the first part off the day is catered to below average students. My child started hating school in first grade! My child will not be going back and I would not recommend sending a child to this school.

If your child has a Special Education need.. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE to go through what my child went through! From day one we informed of our child being in Special Education and not being up to grade level for reading. We addressed this matter and asked that it be shared with her new Teachers. Well three days later, our child came home in tears, informing that their Reading Teacher made them read in front of the class. (That's one incident) Children started to laugh and bully my child after realizing the weakness which started altercations, my child became withdrawn, and this was only the FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL! We informed of our child being in Special education at the previous school, and they said they did not offer "Those" services at Herfurth. We tried to switch schools but sad ending is that our child has to stay at Herfurth Elem. due to us being in a certain "Zone". It's shocking that the Special Education program that Herfurth claimed NOT to have, they now have. Also, I have sent repeated emails to our child's teachers and always copied the Assiststant Principal. My child's emotional status: feeling embarrassed, belittled, having nightmares, and feeling withdrawn.

I sent my daughter to this school because I though (based on what I had read here and what my daughter's daycare providers told me) that this was a great school and maybe it is, with a different teacher. Maybe we just ended up with a teacher who was tired of her job but the emotional abuse that my daughter endured was horrible. We tried to change classrooms but were denied so now that the year has ended we are changing schools. Any teacher who tells a student that "second grade will be too hard for you" does not deserve to be a teacher.

Last modified Herfurth Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.