Bad
Good

They are "dumbing down" the classroom to better fit the children who are clearly needing to be placed in special ed. My child is incredibly bored in school and complains of a child who is three years older than the rest of the class, in this third grade class. I don't know if the school gets paid more to have "special" children in the classroom and have other teachers/specialists come to be with them, but I really wish they would consider the academic achievement of the rest of the students. I know it sounds terrible, but it's not fair to the other students to have to deal with the boredom because they're placed in classes with children who clearly don't belong there.

The teachers and most of the staff and Elkins Elementary are amazing. They are friendly, helpful, innovative, and caring. Unfortunately, the principal Kori Werth is a very difficult person to work with. I have attempted to discuss problems with her but my issues have never been solved. If she was not at Elkins I would have given them the best review possible.

Previous reviews stated that their classroom sizes have been small.. In the 2014-2015 school year, our daughter has 24 children in her class. Not exactly what I would like but she is doing fantastic in her class. Everyone is extremely helpful, always smiling in the hallways, giving high fives on the way to class. Great environment for the kids. Social media is a platform that is used by our daughter's teacher and we love it. We get to see pictures our daughter throughout the day and share with family. Super easy for the teacher to ask for different supplies for projects or science experiments or simply remind us about upcoming events. They are really focusing on building a love for books by allowing the kids to choose different ways to read for homework. (Read to yourself, read to someone, or have someone read to you). Building a love for books is more beneficial than another work sheet for homework.

My son went to kindergarten and is first grade this year. He loves his school. I love class size of this school. Everyone is so friendly and people works at office know kids name very well. one thing I am not happy and concerned about is academic level of this school. I also think parents need to be involved more.

Elkins is an awesome school. Ther teacher make learning fun and really care about their students.

My daughters go to this school and they love it. Last year my oldest daughter was in first grade and they only had 16 students. On second grade they have 17. Great class size for a public school. Principal, teachers, and other staff go the extra mile and put lot of effort for the welfare of the children. They managed to keep the bus service by changing the schedules for elementary, middle and high school. My second grader is already reading at grade 4. I can't comment about my youngest daughter because she just started this year, and its been only 2 weeks. Would like to thank the teachers and staff for all their hard work.

My child has been attending this school since fall of 2008 and the teaching staff has been wonderful. He loves this school and has excelled. It is one of the smaller school so there seems to be a greater teacher student bond.

I am pleased with my child's teacher, but I am concerned about the lack of differentiation that occurs for students that are working beyond grade level. I fear a boredom will occur with these students after several years of this, and that the 'teaching to the middle' that is occurring is going to backfire. I feel this instructional practice one of the primary reason Boswell HS has so few National Merit Scholars.

We were not happy with this school for our child. There was too much change with personnel and with rules. There is poor communication between staff and parents!

I have two daughters that attend Elkins Elementary, they love the school and I think they encourage the students to do there best in the taks test. My daughter struggled last year with the test and did not pass. The school had a tutoring after school and that helped my daughter pass her test the second time. Thankyou to all the teachers that where there for all the children for tutoring. Good Job.

Last modified Elkins Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.