Rolling Hills Academy

Private | PK-8

Living in San Antonio

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $244,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $760.

Sweep tile

Posted January 24, 2013

I did not like this school. It was 2008-2009 and i was in the fith grade. However, the school teaches a grade ahead so i was doing 6th grade work! for to 6th grade it really hurt my academics it was like i skiped 5th grade! i am hispanic (dont speak spanish) i dont remeber being bullied like the other reveiws said but it does have a very high mexican population.

Posted December 2, 2012

Children have attended 5+ years. Disagree with post regarding special educational opportunties. They have ESL and that is it. No programs for gifted or academically advanced kids but that is on par with most Catholic schools. Large population of Mexican nationals causes some problems mainly because there isn't much integration between local students and them. It makes it difficult for local kids to make friends as Mexican students stick together. School seriously lags other schools in technology (no website, no RenWeb for parents), no nurse, no counselor, and few to no clubs besides sports. Hopefully this will change as school grows. Current principal has done a lot for school. Not everyone likes him but we haven't had any issues mentioned with him. He has addressed concerns we had promptly and satisfactorily. We will be leaving school after current year due to some issues mentioned above. Good teachers, good academics, but for the price we pay we can find another school academically as strong with more to offer.

Posted June 8, 2012

That is okay we changed the stakes in 2010-2011/ 2011-2012 and we roused the snoty brat mexicans( >50% of mexicans).

Posted June 5, 2012

My children attended RHA for 6 years, they loved it 5 out of the 6 years. The last year things went down-hill. The teachers are great, and so are the academics. The problem is the behavior of some of the children, the princepal, and the resources they have to work with.

Posted December 18, 2011

I went to this school and Hated it I was bullied because i wasnt mexican! what kind if school is that just because your not mexican the kids dont accept you! Trust me that was the worst year of my life DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE THIS SCHOOL MADE MY LIFE HORRIBLE ALL THEY WANT IS MONE

Posted June 3, 2011

I like the school over all. The Teachers do a great job educating the students. However, the new principal lacks fundamental skills to lead. He consistently demeans the staff and belittles the parents concerns. He lacks the tack and understanding to care for the school but more impotantly the children. He has used inappropriate language when addressing the students. I wish I could keep my children at this school but see a danger leaving them in the care of the new principal. I do not understand some parents support of this man. The compalints recently stated have never been about the school but about the new principal. Many major contributos have taken the incidents of this year personally rather than what it is, poor leadership and possible endangerment of our children. While I give the school an above average rating under this new principal I would rate the future as well below average. He has run off many great students and faculty in one year.

Posted May 25, 2011

We are in our 9th year at Rolling Hills Academy and have nothing but good things to say about the guidance, leadership and education that my children receive from this institution. All schools have issues periodically and RHA is no different however the challenges that we see are minor compared to our public and private counterparts and are addressed quickly. The current principal takes the initiative that others before him have lacked to get things done. Special educational courses for our children, specific language classes for our international students, a partnership with a local soccer organization to build quality sports fields and facilities that have otherwise stalled under prior leadership. Being a parent that is involved in every aspect of our school from sports to chairing fall festivals and galas I endorse the progress that this administration has made and look forward to seeing how much more we improve in the years to come.

Posted May 25, 2011

I have even noticed the improvements listed in the prior post even though I don't have children at the school. I think it's great! Kudos to the new administration. It is about time. I have been involved with this school very closely for over 11 years. More has been done this year than since the purchase of the middle school property and the renovation of the old warehouse into the gym (that was awhile ago).

Posted May 24, 2011

I disagree with the prior post. The parents who are big contributors to the school run it. What improvements are you talking about, I havent seen any? The principal since day one has had an issue on how he handles and approaches certain situations. He is unfriendly, rude and tacky. He has really given a great school a bad reputation and SHAME on you for supporting such person.

Posted May 20, 2011

Completely disagree with prior post on new principal. FINALLY things are getting done at the school. He is a huge improvement over prior principal who basically let parents run school. He isn't afraid to say no to parents who think they should have their way. School will only get better under his leadership. There is a small group of parents who do not like the new principal, the rest of the parents, including myself completely support him.

Posted March 26, 2011

New principle started in Fall 2010. School was great however due to this part of the new administration it is now lacking leadership. Change would be needed for school to be recommended at all.

Posted September 12, 2010

Fantastic education. Excellent quality students. Teachers and administration extremely dedicated. High academic and behavioral standards. Self-discipline and faith are taught as an integral component to the program. Children graduating this school are well prepared to compete at the top echelon high schools and universities in this great country. As far as the prior critiques - yes, facilities are good but not great, but then again they don't have access to millions in public funding and taxpayer bonds. Yes, the curriculum does require parent effort and success is not guaranteed if your child is either not gifted or you as a parent don't have time to work with them at home.

Posted June 5, 2009

The school means well, but our children underwent: 1. Poor teacher placement and, 2. bullying by another child that was handled at best....poorly.

Posted November 11, 2008

I am a parent with two kids enrolled at this school. We have attended 4 years and feel I can give a fair assessment of this school. In terms of academics, your kids will be one year in advance of their peers in the public system. I am very impressed at what they have learned. It is a Catholic based faith and there is good spiritual formation. My qualms about this school is the high teacher turn over. Every year there is a handful of teachers, or administrative staff that leave. This is not a big school. Student body consists of 2oo+ students from grades PreK3 to grade 8. Also, the school is 14 years old and there are trailers for classes, no solid buildings.

Posted October 28, 2008

If you are looking for an advanced curriculum, you will find it here. The teachers are not qualified to teach most grades and you will be doing most of the teaching at home. If your children are already bright, it is a good place to send them. The curriculum is not well taught and requires your child to learn independently. The families are an asset, but the administration does not follow through on important issues. A complete disappointment for the high tuition.

Posted July 19, 2008

I love the families and teachers. The kids thrive. Great academics and religious formation. Only negative is the facilities but they are working on that.

Posted August 21, 2006

Absolutely phenomenal administrative team and teachers. I have been around several private schools and can attest to the true love and support this staff has for its students, parents and the school.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted February 15, 2006

I attended this school, and I can say its an amazing school where I learned alot, its got a great academic program, small classrooms so you can learn more, and parent involvement is amazing.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 17, 2005

A great school with an excellent teacher to student ratio. Academics are first rate. Kids are given homework and are evaluated every day.

Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • TCC
Fax number
  • (210) 497-5192

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of San Antonio