Bad
Good

My grandchildren went to this school for two years and I am so pleased that they now attend a much better school, more well equiped and run, in the Northside School District. Their teachers at Potranco, last year, were good people but the administration of the school was severly lacking. You'd better not have a problem with the principal because the man has no interest in hearing any thoughts other than his own. I wish you luck if you have a child attending this school.

This is an excellent school and we were sad to leave. One of the most friendly, helpful and supportive front office staffs ever! All the teachers my children had, and the others I had the chance to meet were amazing. Amazing PTO and great extracurricular activities! I would challenge anyone who says otherwise!!

FROM meggels.com: this school offers Corporal punishment to kindergardners (from the principal). The admin needs to be seriously reviewed.

This school is a joke! The teachers and administration are completely lazy. They have no problem sending notes home when items are needed from the parents BUT are not consistent with assignments. The principal and vice principal are a joke. If you are a parent that cares about your child's education and have the nerve to questions things you may not agree with, they WILL target you and your children. The VP is such a coward and is so unprofessional that she verbally communicates through children rather than addressing the parent. The principal really is self absorbed and will not communicate with you or return a message unless he wants to. Seeing how this school is run is only because the superintendent would allow it to be run as so. Please, I know the houses in this area are nice BUT for the sake of your kids please find another beautiful house away from this school for the sake of your kids... one parent to another, please. I regret buying in this area only because of this poor quality school.

The principal of this school is a disgrace. He acts as a dictator who should never be questioned. He refuses to work with parents and I have been told by three teachers that it is "his way or the highway". Many are afraid for their jobs. I think he has NPD: Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder in which one is excessively preoccupied with issues of personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity. It was historically called megalomania, and is severe egocentrism. This year he even had his face superimposed over Santa's on a display and on the programs for the holiday programs! Read the post below dated April 24, 2012. Is says it all.

Just going to sum it up to say a lot of parents in our surrounding neighborhood are turning to homeschool their kids It Maybe an idea we might be considering real soon.

My daughters first grade teacher was excellent. It all depends on the teacher. You have young, lazy, careless teachers who are there for a" job" so I do prefer "aged and experienced" school teachers. Every year for my children its been hit or miss but I do make up for what the teachers lack at home and spend a lot of time helping with homework and activities.

For years parents were asked to sell overpriced stuff to raise money for PTO. The PTO sat on the money while art, music and field trips were eliminated. Parents asked if the funds could be used for field trips and the school board denied the request. After a few years of growing the PTO funds the school board approved putting in an electronic sign. The sign is no where near the pick up and drop off so that parents can read the sign. The sign is not even on the main road that runs in front of the school. It sits about a tenth of a mile away and far back from the road. Even when the speed limit is reduced from 65 MPH to 35 MPH, the messages on the sign are impossible to read. The majority of pick up parents don't even drive past the sign because the come from the east. We don't have music, art or field trips for our children, but we have a sign no one can read that children had to work for 3 years to buy and it cost around $40,0000.

The school works this way, "take care of Mr. B and he will take care of you." You find out who the best teachers are and if you have stayed in the good graces of the principal and worshiped him, you will get the teacher you requested. The principal is the Jefe. The Jefe is known for punishing anyone who challenges him, teacher, parent and child. Teachers who don't blindly worship can expect to be moved up or down 4 grades without the proper notice needed to prepare to teach that grade. This punishment sets the teacher up for failure so that the Jefe can come observe and brutally critique. This does not help the children in the classroom. There have been at least 4 vice principals work under this principal in the last 6 years. The most recent display of disrespect towards parents came with the PTO elections. The Jefe yellled out to the crowd of parents and teachers who he wanted to have as PTO president. Most considered that a directive to them to do the same if they wanted to keep the Jefe in their good graces. The parents and teachers were then made to stand to record their vote. The way the Jefe treated the poor parent that he did not want as PTO president was humiliating.

Military families beware. We chose this school last year based on its Exemplary rating (which has since been reduced two levels to "Academically Acceptable"). We were shocked to see the 1st Grade work sheets coming home were below par or on par with the work our twins completed in pre-school and Kinder. We asked to see curriculum, and we were not allowed. I asked to observe in the classroom, and the Principal, Mr. B, told me parents were only allowed one observation per year. We had many issues that were dismissed, berated and belittled by Mr. B. We felt our only option was to withdraw our children. It is a shame because we bought our house based on the school's exemplary rating. The poor performance of the school will not help our children, community or property values. When researching, look to the TEA's web site. At present, the MVISD web site falsely claims each Elementary school has a rating higher than the actual TEA rating. A SMSgt who works with my husband and whose daughter attended Kinder at Potranco was surprised when they recently PCS'd and their first grader was placed in remedial classes. annisejones(at)hotmaildotcom if you have questions.

Last modified Potranco Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.