Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Posted March 12, 2016
We just moved from CA., and this school is excellent. The education system in this school is head and shoulders above CA. The amount of homework is far less than what my kids had at their previous school. The teachers are wonderful and truly care about the children and the education they receive. We love the fact that there are music, art and P.E. classes down here. I am so grateful to have moved into such a great school district. Thank you to the teachers and the administration that has welcomed us and helped our kids with the difficult transition for CA to TX. We love Wilderness Oak.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted December 06, 2015
Way too much homework! My 5th grader spends at least 1 1/2 hours a night on work sent home, and most of the time the lesson hasn't been taught well enough for them to do it on their own.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted December 06, 2015
There is no type of peer group promotion in this school. No programs to help encourage friendships or identify students who are being bullied or teased. It is strictly about teaching for the almighty test. Some grades get as little as 15 minutes of recess!

Wilderness Oak Elementary School 3

Posted December 06, 2015
I have two children at Wilderness Oak, have been here for three years. This year has been the worse, we have been bombarded with fundraisers and requests for volunteers every week it seems. This month (December) has been crazy - food drive, class baskets, some kind of gift shop (with minimal information sent home), pictures with santa, send in food for teachers. All of this on top of trying to get teacher gifts, it is too much!

Posted August 29, 2015
We love Wilderness Oak! We have two kids attending. We were first at Hardy oak for a year and can honestly say, we were not impressed! We've been with the school with Mrs Jensen and now Mrs Fitzsimon. We have been very happy with Mrs. Fitzsimon! She's always been warm and friendly to my kids and to us! She's resolved issues we've had swiftly and professionally! The moment you enter WO you feel welcomed by those AWESOME ladies in the front office! Then you meet those outstanding teachers and all the other staff... What a blessing they all are!! I can't imagine my children anywhere else! :)

Posted May 28, 2015
I strongly disagree with the review below. My family transferred to Wilderness Oak, prior to Mrs. FitzSimon becoming the principal. We came from a top-notch school in another district that is respected and known for its excellent schools. However, when we came to Wilderness Oak, we were very disappointed. The curriculum seemed haphazard and incomplete. Teachers seemed as though they simply did not want to put in the effort. Much time was wasted throughout the day. The problems were either exacerbated or caused by an ineffectual administration that seemed more concerned with self-glorification. Mrs. FitzSimon has worked hard to turn things around. She has implemented policies, procedures, and expectations that should have already been in existence (and which are at many public schools). For those parents who are dissatisfied (and I have not spoken to any parents who are unhappy), it may be because they have not experienced other comparable schools in other districts. You will not find a harder worker than Mrs. FitzSimon, as well as the vice principal. Mrs. FitzSimon seems less concerned with making a name for herself and more concerned about the education and well-being of all the students. The students deserve to have the bar set higher for them than was set by the previous administration. The common sense policies instituted by Mrs. FitzSimon have been both responsive and refreshing.

Wilderness Oak Elementary School 1

Posted May 13, 2015
This school has really changed. They appointed another principal almost two years ago and the school has fallen apart. Experienced expert teachers have left and the entire leadership team left because they couldn't work w Mrs. FitzSimon (the principal) anymore. Having come straight from a High School I think she often forgets she is working w small children. We found her to be insincere and cold. Surrounding schools like Hardy Oak and Stone Oak are much better.

Posted November 11, 2013
Oh my goodness! This school is amazing and we are so fortunate for him to be able to attend here. We moved from out of state for another child to attend Sunshine Cottage School for the deaf, but brother deserved a good school too, and he really has it here. Everyone from bottom to top is doing what is needed to make education work for each student, and I could not ask for more. A very expensive private school could not do better. Thank you for all you do for the children and their families!

Wilderness Oak Elementary School 3

Posted March 06, 2012
My child was miserable here. Lack of friendliness from majority of the parents and a couple of ladies in the front office. Too hung up on status. And be prepared to have those checkbooks open for their endless fundraisers and donation requests. A typical public school focused more on the TAKS/STARR, than the student. Nothing fun and exciting about WO. Plus, managing morning traffic is greatly needed. They would rather hand out numerous tardy slips on a daily basis than figure out how to elevate it. I also believe that the teachers need a course in patience. But, I was pleased with the curriculum, the principal's attentiveness towards parents' concerns, methods of constant parent communication, my child's counselor, the students are well behaved, and it is in the NEISD school which I would prefer over any other district in SA.

Posted July 29, 2010
We moved here from the east coast last year. Our son was just entering kindergarten and I relied heavily on Greatschools.net to help me figure out the schools and also to help me decide where I wanted to purchase a home. My son had been diagnosed with ADHD before we got here. He does not take medication, but we modify his diet. As soon as we enrolled we met with their staff to discuss any special needs my son had. His kindergarten teacher was wonderful, but I also got the same feedback about all the teachers! Parents seem very pleased, students seem very happy. My son loved his first year there. He is looking forward to 1st grade! Great school...

21019 Wilderness Oak, San Antonio, TX  78258
Last modified Wilderness Oak Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.