School of Science and Technology

Charter | 6-12 | 444 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 3, 2014

I have the privilege to be able to say that whomever had this dream to make it come true thru this type of school deserves my utmost respect. I have been blessed to raise another child since one is 21yrs and the other is 8yrs. My son began his 3rd grade year here at the School of Science and Technology, and I couldn't be more proud of his success compared to NSISD. He now can finally be the outstanding child with his most beautiful minf that this school has brought out and complements him in his everyday life experiences, in which I can only imagine where his future will lead him due to the entire structure of this school. I am ecstatic that my son was picked and we will do whatever it takes to help the school help him reached for the stars. Thank you.

Posted March 7, 2014

I currently have a 10th grader and a 7th grader at SST and my daughter will be starting as a 6th grader in the Fall. Both of my boys have done very well at SST and have been at SST since they were each in the 6th grade. I appreciate the hard work and diligence of all the teaching staff. I choose to drive my children almost an hour each way to SST because I know it is the best school for them. SST focuses on academics and preparing for college. There is never a question that they will go to college - the only question is What college will they attend? I do think that the administrative aspect of the school is somewhat lacking but the superior education and dedication of the teachers makes putting up with the office chaos worth it in my opinion. I have 3 very intelligent children, we live in NISD-supposedly one of the best school districts - and I still choose to send them to SST year after year.

Posted August 24, 2013

My granddaughter is new to SST. After three days there she has only glowing reviews for the educational atmosphere and the teachers and student who sre there to learn. I have a very good feeling about her next five years at this school and look forward to her weekly reports.

Posted August 22, 2013

There are many concerns with the post from August 21, 2013. We acknowledge that there may have been some issues with the school this particular student attended yesterday; however, we do not believe this comment is about the School of Science and Technology (SST) for various reasons. First of all, our uniform shirts are not sold for $15. Secondly, we cannot kick out a student (although we do expel students from time to time as a result of discipline issues). Most importantly, our faculty and staff go above and beyond to make sure that the needs of all of our students are met and we do have a contracted Counselor who works with our students. And to address the last concern, we do have a nurse s office and have had one since our school opened in 2005. We kindly ask that these comments be addressed with the correct school, as there are several schools with very similar names.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 15, 2013

I have three students in the School of Science and Technology (SST) now. I have a child who graduated last year after attending SST from 6th thru 12th grades. My child just finished the freshman year at a local university with a 3.53 GPA. SST is a great school and I cannot believe the comments by some parents and one student. The parent who states that SST "has no clue" has been rating the school the same way for 5 or 6 years since her son could not make it at SST. She is the one without a clue about the school. The writer who says he/she is an ex-teacher could not have taught at SST or he/she would not have rated it the way he/she did. He/she is probably an ex many things because he/she cannot succeed in any position. Please note that the raters who are uneducated (cannot write well or spell correctly) are the ones who rated the school other than the excellent learning facility it is. The "student" who rated it did not attend SST or attended it for a short time. SST students write much better than that. If any student or parent is considering attendance at SST, then please ignore the negative and untrue comments. SST is an excellent school with ouystanding afculty and students.

Posted May 2, 2013

As a graduate of SST in 2012, there are many flaws within the school, especially in the administration. They focus more on having their school look amazing, rather than focusing on having their students excel. During my high school years there,due to the numerous mock TAKS, and now STAAR testing they implement, those who took an AP Class(es) suffered the most for losing class time to participate in mock testing. However, the teacher staff is superb. I can not say though its the same for all the staff, however the teachers I had were amazing in wanting us to excel and do well in school, and life. There is is a strong language/cultural barrier, and I wasn't too exposed to it due to having mostly teachers that were native English speakers. However, because of them it made the last four years worth going to the school.

Posted May 2, 2013

Minus the several glaring flaws in the administration and educational options, this school has one thing going for it and that is the teachers. The vast majority of all the teachers, can't say all of them, are absolutely wonderful. My child has come home many times praising several of his teachers. Because of the disorganization of the administration I asked my son if he ever wanted to leave his school. He told me he didn't want to leave because of his teachers and his friends (as most kids feel). I've visited the school multiple times and was able to talk to most of my son's teachers. They were wonderful and I can see that they work hard to give their students the best education that they can offer.

Posted May 2, 2013

B4 dis skewl i was dum. i started frm d botm nao im here we space now mayne. we space now

Posted February 20, 2013

I have kids that attend this school. My daughter has had three teacher changes and school is not even in summer. First let me say that if you move your child will suffer because you can not register or move themto another SST. Which I think is a stupid idea. Now I drive almost 50 minutes both ways because I cant transfer them. Lunch is 3.50 like really what are they eating? My daughter is very active and was told they only provide learning for quiet non active students, who says that? My son was told that American kids are not smart and being turkish was better, shaking my head, really? Overall I think its just a nice break for them and a rip off. My kids learn but the sacrifices are crazy. Not to mention the aftet school care does nothing it says it will provide. False Advertisment. They don't even have counslors so how are you able to help kids whose loved one may pass? I would rather have put them in public school.

Posted December 8, 2012

As a former teacher (among a list of MANY), I have seen what happens behind the scenes in the SST system. They do not value their teachers as professionals and treat them as workers in an assembly line to build their "reputation" as a great school. They try to get as much work out of their teachers as they can so they can get their money's worth; it is not uncommon for at least one or two teachers to resign mid-year. The overall teacher turnover rate has always been high for this reason. The favoritism and nepotism that goes on is disgusting. Kids don't get the wonderful education they need, especially when they have teachers whom the kids literally cannot understand because of language/culture issues, so they fail their class or grades are falsified. Just look at standardized test scores for the school--low scores in science & math. Ironic. Girls and boys are treated very differently by the all-male administration, with boys getting the more preferable treatment. Parents may love this school, but are really kept in the dark about the realities of how things truly work. Just look at how often administration and teaching staff changes every year--that should be a clue.

Posted September 17, 2012

My eldest child graduated from SST in 2011 and is now at UT Austin in an honors program. My middle child is still at SST and is a high school student. I feel that SST prepared them well for the SAT and AP exams. Now that the school is more established, there are more experienced teachers and I feel the quality of teaching has improved every year. So too has the organization and the communication. SST is a close knit school with teachers who know the students. It's a very friendly campus, and socially, an easy place for kids to make friends and be involved. The school does an excellent job of encouraging every kid to apply to a 4 year college. The 2011 graduating class sent kids to MIT, Columbia, Rice, Univ. of Pennsylvania, UT Austin, A&M, the U.S. Naval Academy, and other colleges. Having had kids at SST for many years now, I'm very proud of how this school has improved over time, and how it has grown into one of the best schools in the area. It's very safe, and students are welcoming of newcomers. As a parent, I've loved our experience with SST!

Posted October 27, 2011

This school has no clue what it is doing. I am sorely disappointed as I am the only one involved in my child's education. The academics are not as fantastic as some of the other reviews would suggest. I just think some people have absolutely no standards or point of reference when writing a review. From a parent that does have standards, this place tanks. They talk up a good game and fail on delivery. This place is a dumping ground for kids who have been expelled from surrounding public schools, bullied out of public schools and teachers that are not licensed to teach and would not be hired by a traditional public or private school. Those are the questions I would ask before enrolling your child, unless of course the only reason you are here is because you have no other choice.

Posted April 13, 2011

All around good. the kids were well behaved, the teachers were nice. As I said just all around good!

Posted March 5, 2011

It's really great school. It meets standards as a public charter school serving with very dedicated staff and administration. I would recommend this school to every parent who wants their child to succeed.

Posted August 16, 2010

Great environment for middle school/high school kids. The teachers are committed and engaging. I disagree with the poster that complained about the intermingling of High Schoolers with the younger students. My child enjoyed this aspect completely. The older children are respectful and friendly. We have never experienced any bullying or tormenting of any kind. SST is wonderful.

Posted August 4, 2010

As a middle school I say that the school is great, the classes, the atmosphere, the teachers; they all contribute to the great learning environment. It is great for education, but if your child is not focused on learning, and was looking forward to band or other electives that might be offered at another middle school, well SST just doesn't do too good a job with those. Every person will have a different school experience... There is also a slight problem (in my opinion) with getting credits ahead of time. I received an algebra1 credit, while some people I knew from different schools received more credits for different things which I felt I could have received as well. How well you did in the class is of course a different matter... The teachers are great, the classes are great, and you learn well.

Posted March 24, 2010

We are very excited and happy with SST. Our children was behind in the Public School System and they could not offer any help to design a learning program to fit my childrens needs, they were just too busy. At SST, the environment is less busy, small classrooms and each student has time to meet with their teacher. And the teacher has time to understand each individuals needs. Since our children has been enrolled in this program, their confidence increased as well as their performance. SST has a lot to offer a child who wants to learn and to be understood as an individual.

Posted March 5, 2010

This is a great school. The teachers care about the kids, the administration takes some getting use to, but they do a great job keeping the atmosphere at the school friendly. This school actually teaches character education, that didn't happen in the Junior school in the 78209 area. They wear uniforms, which is a great stress reducer. My kid always knows what to wear! I disagree with the comment about the kids not being social. As a parent I can walk in at anytime, see my child at anytime, and be allowed to walk around the campus if I want to. These kids are friendly, spirited in a good way, and happy.

Posted March 2, 2010

Horrible school. the academics are fantastic and the teachers keep in constant contact with the parents on student progress. The issues we had there are the fact that they let the 6th graders intermingle with the high school students. There are things high schoolers do and talk about that arent appropriate for younger children...like an 11yr old 6th grader. On the dicipline side, this school seems like a dumping ground for children who dont have the social skills to get along in a public school setting. My son told me that there were fights all the time...in the bathrooms and the gym locker room. The children fight there because there are no cameras. There is no audio on the security cameras so verbal threats and bullying cant be caught. My son was tormented for months by other boys in his class. Not a safe place for your kids.

Posted December 19, 2009

Still loving SST. In our second year with two kids at this school. My high school student (along with several others) is doing science research with a professor at UTSA. This was arranged by one of the SST administrators. My daughter would not have gotten this opportunity at any other school. Also, the National Honor Society students took a trip to New York and Boston to visit Ivy League colleges this fall. Also love this school for no bullying and high % of nerd students means that kids tend to be nice and even the socially awkward kids have friends. BTW, the Great Schools info is incorrect. This school serves 6-12th grade. SST is graduating it's first high school class spring of 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

64 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

64 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

73 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

73 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

72 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

71 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

54 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

54 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

53 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

53 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

52 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

52 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students83%

Proficient in English92%
Non-migrant92%
Non-Gifted92%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Unacceptable".

Asian 9% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Mr Atila Akyurek
Fax number
  • (210) 822-3422

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now