No rating

St. Anthony Catholic School

Private | PK-8

Living in San Antonio

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $155,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $650.

Posted October 16, 2013

I've been happy with this school in the past with my eldest. Now I have my middle child looking forward to starting her high school years next year and will be attending.

Posted September 12, 2013

Okay well I'm a student & I'm graduating this year, 2014. I absolutely love this school. Words can't explain my love for it. Teachers & students have become my family over the years I've been here, which is 11. If you looking for a school that you will never forget, becomes your family, understands you, try our school first. You won't regret it now forget it. I sure didnt.

Posted August 26, 2013

Our child has been in the school for 8 years and cannot say enough about what a great school it is. It has had its challenges, but the current leadership is amazing. We could not be happier with the education and the amazing community of parents.

Posted June 18, 2013

Our first year was great! We had multiple children here, for the most part the teachers are great, however, the administration in unresponsive and secretive. I no longer trust the administration to tell me the truth. Heaven forbid, something were to happen to a child there, I think they would cover it up to limit their perceived liability, not realizing parents understand things happen. Many small issues become big ones when administration members are not honest and fail to take things head on. Although Catholic, it's not ran by a Priest. The Priest the school borrows from the HSis great, however, he is not a member of administration/someone to go to if you had any problems with the school. Nor, is he responsible for any day to day activities or real interaction with the students. The school affiliated with a Parish, it is a stand alone school. We were very happy with the school the first year under the interim principal, however, the new principal. It has gone through too many principals, don't stick around to find out why. We were warned but didn't listen, we regret it. It also lacks proper sports facilities Positives, it is a diverse school and most teachers do care.

Posted May 3, 2013

I have two children who are in their second year at St. Anthony's. St. Anthony's has been amazing for my children both academically and socially and emotionally. St. Anthony's has a rigorous curriculum that is not based on worksheets but instead contains creative, engaged, and experiential activities. My children have a balanced workload that challenges them without becoming rote. The children and community are kind. I have never heard of any bullying or unkindness and all the children are welcoming and inclusive. The school also has a solid involved parent base that avoids being overly involved or in helicopter mode. The recent board decisions to expand the school by adding a new facility, and implement a health, freshly prepared, locally sustainable lunch program, show vision for a truly innovative school. My children continue to thrive here and I am blessed beyond measure to have a school that nurtures them intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.

Posted March 24, 2012

I have 3 children attending St. Anthony Catholic School. My oldest has been there since k4 and is graduating this year. In addition to the strong academics, which recently were confirmed through a very high high school placement test score, SACS is a close community with parental involvement and extremely dedicated faculty and staff. Each of my 3 children have unique needs, but they are all succeeding with the support of the faculty at SACS. I highly recommend SACS if you are looking for a balanced, loving environment with high academic standards and Christian values.

Posted March 5, 2012

Very happy with quality of curriculum. My two children are appropriately challenged and are scoring in the 80th and 90th percentile on national tests of achievement. Community of parents and teachers way above average. Environment is warm and conducive to learning. Principals at accepting high schools continue to rank students highly in terms of preparation to do high school work. This school has been around for over 100 years and there is a strong contingency of graduates in the community. Children seem very happy at this school.

Posted February 28, 2012

This is for the person that posted on September 13, 2011: Could you please say which school you chose for your children after leaving st anthony? I'm looking for a good catholic school . thank you

Posted October 7, 2011

We have been a member of the St. Anthony family for several years. We are very pleased with the progress our child has made at the school, mainly due to the fact of the dedicated teachers and staff. The school is very focused on fostering the children s education and Christianity. The preparation the children receive for the next level and life in general is truly a remarkable experience. If you haven t had an opportunity to visit St Anthony s, I d strongly recommended it and believe that most families would be encouraged about the future which St Anthony s has to offer.

Posted September 13, 2011

Update, I wrote the May review BEFORE learning that the board terminated principal I along with many other parents were caught completely off guard with the termination & were only emailed asking us to extend farewells as the board wrote the principal resigned(she had already been terminated and email cut off) Heard from principal in a private email that was circulated that while she was away board held a private meeting ( which they deny) & when she returned she was FORCED to resign many parents attended the PTC board meeting to only hear of new programs & programs that would continue to be in place but NO MENTION of WHY they let her leave One board member continually evaded the question when it was posed, & in not so many words said that she was not "people friendly"(Staff did not like that she was noticing that they were not challenging students, the bar was not being held high, & middle school parents did not want change) Sadly we spent quite a bit of money, never wanted to have our child begin a new school, but after touring many other Catholic Schools realize it was a God Send as the curriculum at new school is so far Superior & higher expectations than St. Anthony's

Posted June 22, 2011

Buyer beware, lack of leadership is evident and is affecting learning and teaching. Board not focused on education of students, but rather on capital campaign. Latest principal was not qualified and clearly not a fit- lasted less than a year. This once thriving school will continue to decline under current board who continues to make poor decisions.

Posted May 4, 2011

I love St. Anthony's. Although there HAS been recent turnover in staff, it is all part of growth & a better vision for academics for our children. I have always felt the warmth and sincerity of the staff and principal. The children are engaged in learning and continue the desire to learn outside the classroom. It has a small village feel and definitely is God Centered. As with all things new, no one likes change, however the direction the school is taking with the new programs being offered and the new programs being implemented, it is a great thing for children!

Posted May 2, 2011

What a difference a year makes! This school is coming apart at the seams; almost all the middle school teachers were fired at the same time leaving the 7th & 6th graders to flounder next year. I would not recommend St. Anthony's because decisions like these make it obvious that the students do not come first. These teachers were well respected and nurturing. Appealing to the Board was useless; your child deserves a better education than can be found here.

Posted September 27, 2010

Thsi school is not well run. The academics used to be very strong then became very weak over the last 4-5 years. Teacher turnover and discontent impacted the learning environment. Social development is also weak; lots of bullying with little oversight. There are too many kids in very tight spaces.

Posted February 3, 2010

I have two sons at St Anthony's and have been impressed with the service and care that the teachers provide to the students. I realize that as adults my sons will have excellent memories of their childhood at St Anthony's. best choice possible.

Posted August 22, 2007

This is a great school academically. I love the interaction I have with other parents in my son's class. We really are a family. I will keep my son there through middle school because I trust the environment and he feels very secure there.

Posted May 9, 2007

We have been exceptionally happy at St. Anthony's. The teacher and staff have created a loving environment where great learning is going on. Both my husband and myself are public school teachers and would never think of sending our child anywhere else. We started in PK-3 planning to just go through Kindergarten. We are so impressed with the standards and well rounded education our child is receiving, we will be part of the St. Anthony family through Middle School

Posted March 9, 2006

We have three kids at St. Anthony's and are so happy with the school. It's a warm, wonderful place with great teachers and strong leadership. My kids look forward to school. Today I picked my son up early for a doctor's appointment and his teacher put a few extra books in his backpack for him to read in the waiting room -- that's the kind of place St. Anthony's is.

Asian or Pacific Islander N/A 3%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (210) 732-5968

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of San Antonio

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

205 W Huisache Ave