Brooks Academy Of Science And Engi

Charter | K-12 | 1511 students

Living in San Antonio

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $175,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $760.

Posted May 1, 2014

I have been very pleased with this school. The homework is structured, the assignments are clearly defined, and teachers are available to answer questions from both students and parents. The parent Internet connection allows you to keep up with your child's progress. Parent involvement is encouraged and appreciated. Ms. Garza, 4th grade teacher is the best. She is very encouraging and sets a wonderful example for her students on how to be intelligent, courteous and kind. After school clubs are also a great opportunity for pursuing individual student interest, additional learning through action, and social involvement. Con: My observation, please keep class ratio small, you are overworking your wonderful teachers. If they spend all their time getting an overcrowded class to behave they aren't teaching those who are behaving. Overall very happy. Thanks.

Posted May 20, 2013

My oldest child has been here for 4 1/2 years. She has blossom to be an excellent student. You see she has asperger syndrome and have difficult socializing with her peers. Her class mate have embraced her and made her participate. It was a great fit for her to be at brooks academy since there is no BAC unit like other school districts. With a lot of work on all party's she has passed her exit level exams and will graduate this year. There is tutoring after school and clubs to attend to get a better set in life. Of course there is the parking problem but I am willing to though this for my kids. It will improve! With a lot of input we can make it turn around. This school fits me and my kids.

Posted May 18, 2013

First off the previous reviews define the school base on traffic and unimportant matters .My daughter is new to brooks as of Nov 2012 here she is a student not just a number like at her previous school .So many kids get lost in the public school system that there rarely seen as anything else ,she is learning more @ Brooks. Our experience has been wonderful I've seen an amazing change & her teacher knows how to really work with her .The work is also more advance that what she had been learning .The kids are well behaved and shown respect by there peers & vice versa . I would consider any child that goes here lucky to have found such a well adjusted school with great regard for teaching and moral value.

Posted February 24, 2013

BEWARE---This school is a JOKE..if not for the deception of students and parents as teachers are giving huge grading curves to students so they can pass their classes. Also, they are placing very severe special ed. students in regular classes and good teachers do not stay, they run-out of Brooks Academy as fast as they can!!! I would not even enroll my dog at Brooks Academy...LOOK ON THE TEA WEB PAGE UNDER ACOUNTABILITY AND FIND-OUT FOR YOURSELF HOW THEY RATE ON TAKS AND NOW STAAR RATINGS!!! NOT ONE GRADE LEVEL OR CLASS ROOM MET THE MINIMAL STANDARD!!!! THAT MEANS THEY ARE IN TROUBLE WITH T.E.A.!!! P.S.: LOOK AT THE TEACHER QUALITY: MOST DO NOT HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE IN THEIR FIELD, THEY ARE "ALTERNATE CERTIFIED".

Posted February 6, 2013

This was an excellent school in the beginning. The Principal and Staff worked together to get parents involved. They worked with the students to make them all feel a part of the Brooks Family . The School Board decided not to renew the Principal s contract for 2010-2011. This was very upsetting to the students as well as staff. Many staff resigned and students moved to other schools. The Board never considered how this change would affect the students, staff and the school as a whole. Charter Schools are publicly funded, but privately run. They are exempt from many public school rules and regulations, and operate independently. This school is run by Academica Management SW LLC. It has been said that certain Board members have a monetary interest in Acdemica as well as relatives working there. The bottom line is about profit. The new Principal is a very nice lady but does not have the experience to run a school. It was unfair to her to do away with all the former systems and implement all new systems. This lack of good judgment turned into a disaster and still needs much improvement. More government control is needed in Charter Schools to prevent disasters like this one.

Posted January 22, 2013

Ihave a daughter at brooks since 6th grade now she is in 8th and I keep hearing badstuff about brooks if you don't like it LEAVE!!!!! Its not like you have to stay, remember Brooks was a CHOICE so if its not making you happy go back to what made you come to Brooks, I will admitt Yes traffic is bad but its the same as all schools, now if you want you can go in one way and out another issue fixed, yes the kids eat in the gym and its catered if you child doesn't like be a REAL parent and make them lunch yes just like all schools they have issues GET OVER IT OE LEAVE!!

Posted March 28, 2012

I had been looking for a school for my children with higher academic and behavioral standards than your neighborhood public school. Brooks Academy came highly recommended. This is my daughters' 4th & 2nd years there. The admin was fairly disorganized before, but super pleased with classes, teachers, and personal interest in my kids. The new admin this year indicated they walked into a "mess" & had much "fixing" to do. We have been patient, but growing more disappointed with Brooks every day. Not sure what they have been "fixing" on the admin side, but only negative changes have been observed on the outside. I'm super sad, disappointed & can no longer recommend Brooks to other parents like I used to.

Posted March 15, 2012

You will notice that the reviews sort of take a different tone this year (2011-2012). The school changed leadership, and effectively hired a yes-person that would do the bidding of the school board. Many of the teachers from the earlier years left during the 1st semester. On the first day of school, there were no schedules, no discipline policy, no student handbooks, etc. They berated the earlier administration for having ISS (in-school suspension), dissolved the program, and then re-instated the program. The leadership has no previous experience with high schools. Enter at your own risk.

Posted January 13, 2012

If you are considering Brooks Academy for your child, please be aware of the different issues that I have had to deal with this school year. I wish I would have know this before enrolling my son in this school. I have a major problem with the school traffic every day. I live about 5 minutes away from the school and I need to leave my house at least 35 minutes ahead of schedule in order to get him to class on time. There is lack of communication between the teachers and parents. I have called the main phone number several times throughout the year and have only been able to speak to a live person three times all year. One of the three times that I was able to speak to someone was due to the fact that I sent an email to the principal of the school expressing my concern with this issue. What would happen in the case of an emergency? How would I be able to reach staff or even my son over the phone? This school is very unorganized. Transportation is not provided for the students and they really do not have a cafeteria. They eat their food in the gym that has been catered from an outside source. I am not happy with Broooks. I hope this information is helpful to those inquiring.

Posted September 4, 2011

How hard is it to get your child into the kindergarden program? Is it done on a purely lottery system?

Posted August 31, 2011

to the person who posted yesterday about her daughter and the horrible traffic...welcome to Brooks Academy, one way in and one way out. My daughter has been at the school since it opened, 6th grade and is now a junior and traffic is always an issue. Especially the first few weeks of school. It should get better. Plus they have new administration that year and we all know what it's like getting a new boss. Everything changes and it takes time to implement changes. Be patient, it is a good school, good education. Most of the kids that leave Brooks and go to a SAISD school end up being skipped a grade.

Posted August 31, 2011

I heard so many great things about BASE, so I was thrilled when my child was accepted, and then it was down hill. I could live with the traffic (even though it was horrible)...the first day of school, there were only 6 desks in my child's classroom, and carpets on the floor, and no teacher. If it weren't for the few parents that walked their child into the school the first day, 18 students would have gone unsupervised in a classroom by themselves for over 30mins. There is no cafeteria, so the choice is cold, soggy catered lunch, or send your child with lunch... which I did. Make sure you also send them with a bottled water or two, because as hot as it has been, there is only one working water fountain, and the water comes out hot. I couldn't believe at 2PM elementary students were running laps outside in uniform in over 100+ degree weather. Student/Teacher ratios are much higher than they claim them to be. I decided to withdraw my child. Wouldn't u know, because they WEREN'T paying attention is that they withdrew the WRONG child! Are you listening? I'm a parent who was able to withdraw another student, without ID because they weren't paying attention???? Inexcusable.

Posted August 30, 2011

This i my Daughters first year at Brooks and i have to say it is HORRIBLE!! Iwas told it is a Great school it sounds go and all, but if you are dealing with traffic through there and lack of communication on pickup procedures, also you an't even reach anyone on the main number you just stay on hold forever. I also had a problem with picking up my little one they say how it is a secure school yet they tell me that she left with the sibling drop off. 1) She has no sibling at this school so i was very furious with their idea of how picking up your child would go smoothly!! Get your stuff together Brooks your a total nightmare!!

Posted November 9, 2010

My son has been at BASE since the 6th grade, my only other option was Page middle school. So I was so happy when I found this school. My son has really Excelled in this school, not only does he take all honors courses, maintains an A/B average, but is involved in the activates at his school. He is now a freshman and I love how he has become a well structured young man. I see his old friends that went to page middle school and most are not doing well. I tell everyone what an awesome school BASE is, but the child has to commit to his studies and so do the parents. My son was is doing so well at this school that he was invited to travel and study in England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland for the summer of 2011, because of his scores on the SAT and PSAT, not bad for a Freshman. So, if you want more for your child then BASE is the school for you.

Posted October 21, 2010

Brooks Academy is a great school. My daughter is a Freshman now (her fourth year at Brooks) and is doing very well. The school has made changes over the past few years. The Principal is not afraid to make any changes that will benefit his students and staff. As a Parent I am glad to be involved in the school functions, showing my support for all the students. Since I have chosen Brooks for my child to learn and grow, the school has become a family for us, and I am very passionate about Brooks Academy. I just leard that the school will be adding 4th and 5th grades as of January 2011. What a wonderful opportunity for your young child. Dont miss out on becoming apart of the Brooks Academy Family.

Posted October 20, 2010

My daughter attends Brooks Academy. My daughter and I both love this school! It provides a safe, and stable enviroment and absolutly GREAT EDUCATION! The Faculty and Staff are a wonderful addition to Brooks Academy Science and Engineering (B.A.S.E.) the teachers have tutoring individual and group so if a student is not understanding other teachers in the same department are present allowing the student several opportunities to learn the material. Dress Code is very important to B.A.S.E. because you want to look professional and successful. All in all this is a WONDERFUL school! I would not and she would not want to go anywhere else.

Posted May 10, 2010

This is in reply to dissatisfied parent of 5/4/10. The '09-10 school year was my son's first at BASE. I have a daughter who graduated from the ECISD and if THAT is your alternative, I'd think twice if I were you. Things parents should know if planning on sending their child to BASE: 1) there is no transportation provided to/from school--either you drop off/pick up your child, they walk, or find another mode of transportation; 2) this is not a school for kids who are competing with each other to be 'cool'...everyone in grades 6-11 dresses the same, NO exceptions; 3) administration is VERY serious/strict about school policies and doesn't hesitate to enforce them; 4) if your child can make it thu his first semester, he's learned more about time management than he has any years prior; 5) requires serious PARENT commitment as well.

Posted May 4, 2010

My son has attended this school for only one year & it has been the worse experience of our lives. He has been bullied, the class sizes are too large (33 to 1), lines of communication between parents & teachers is miminal and the principal does not handle major problems (you can't even speak to him w/o an appointment). This year has been a nightmare & I will be so glad when it ends. He will NOT be attending this school next year. I would NOT EVER recommend this school to anyone.

Posted May 6, 2009

I am a grandmother of a base student. I think your school is an exceptional one, I am very pleased that she likes all her classes and is in the junior national honor soceity. The teachers are excellent. Every thing about BASE is way above aveage. Keep ujp the good work!

Posted April 13, 2009

By far, this is the best school I have ever attended. The classes are great, the faculty is just outstanding(Ms.Head and Mr.Samkin are really understanding and yet very stern in dicsipline), and the fact that it was such a small school, made it seem like home. Sadly, i regret leaving the school. I know for a fact that i cannot recieve a better education at any other middle/high school in Texas! For any parent or student , I recommend that you attend Brooks Academy(BASE). -Victoria W ^_^

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

23 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

23 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

129 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

129 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

140 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

140 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

141 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

95 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

94 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

89 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

90 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

84 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

81 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

86 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

80 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

81 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

82 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

164 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students70%

Female100%
Hispanic100%
Economically disadvantaged100%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 4%

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 36%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Music

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Passes/tokens for public transportation
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)

Apply now