Posted July 23, 2014
Our student attended this school the first year it became Idea Carver after being at the original Carver Academy We never thought it would remain the same, but it was horrible. They administration is a joke. The students are forced to eat breakfast in the classroom because they don't have the facilities for the amount of students they tried to shove in in the formerly beautiful school. The teachers are poorly qualified (cant spell or pronounce themselves) but I guess that's ok because they have a script to follow. They underrate a students initial placement test (which consist of ten minutes worth of tests that are made up by them) so they can pretend THEY raised the student's scores. They DID NOT teach ANY Science or Social Studies except for a few "test review" sessions and when asked about this- they kept insisting they were developing the curriculum. They also hold the kids hostage and do not allow parents to walk in with them at arrival and you have to MAKE AN APPOINTMENT to eat lunch with you child IN ADVANCE and only three times a month!! Seriously, what are they hiding?

Posted November 22, 2013
The staff is inexperienced and incompetent. If your child's safety & health is a concern of yours, this would not be a good choice for your family.

The Carver Academy 2

Posted July 15, 2013
The Carver Academy as is under IDEA Public Schools is, in my opinion, a less than desirable school. My child came in to the school as a kindergartner under the new IDEA management. From what I understand IDEA teaches using a script that must be strictly adhered to by the teaching staff. This is troublesome for me, because it tells me that this school does not value the education and experience of its staff and could easily replace any degree and certified teacher with a "babysitter" off the street that can read a script. There are no opportunities for Gifted and Talented classes or art, or music for that matter. They simply take the kids outside to play. I was under the impression that IDEA was supposed to offer a better education than that of the average ISD. When I brought my concerns to the attention of the principal, my email was ignored and I was informed by my child's teacher of when a meeting would be scheduled. I personally, trust the education of my teachers and would like them to be able to adapt the lessons to the needs of the individual child, rather than throwing them into a group and leaving them there until their parent has a meeting with the principal.

Posted March 01, 2012
This week they announced the IDEA takeover of this precious school, which is disastrous news. But, like yesterday's poster, I want to review the school for my experience with it during the past year. The Carver Academy is nothing short of phenomenal. The staff is loving and caring, but they never compromise their high expectations for these children. The small class size is conducive to forming a family environment. The way the students start out every day with chapel (giving the Lord His proper place in their studies), is just beautiful. The students are all so wonderful and responsible and sweet. It's easy to see that each and every person at the school, from the students to the teachers to the administrative staff, is immensely proud of their involvement with Carver Academy. My son has grown so much in his short time at Carver--academically, emotionally, and most remarkably, spiritually. And he LOVES his school...sigh... It makes my stomach turn to think that such a magnificent school will soon be changed from the inside out, and that nearly everything we loved about it will be eradicated. I don't even know why I'm on this site, I'm just getting myself more depressed.

Posted February 29, 2012
Carver has been a wonderful school. We prayed about our child going there for YEARS before she was accepted. It is now being taken over by a public charter school (IDEA) and Carver as we knew it will not have the same principles in this new program. We are deeply saddened by this change and don't know where to turn for a quality, rigorous Christian elementary education now.

The Carver Academy 4

Posted February 08, 2012
Carver is a wonderful school! My children are 1 to 2 grade levels ahead of their peers and ton national test they score at least 90% better than students in their grade level. It can be a little pricey for those on a fixed and small budget, but schloraship are available to those who qualify. You still may have to come out of pocket, but it is worth the sacrifice because your children will be better for it not only academically but spiritually. The only draw back: I would love to see them with a state of the art gym facility. The kids need to have a gym facility. It would be nice to have Carver kids play home games for soccer, basketball, baseball, tennis, track, flag football, and maybe even swimming. Kids need this type of athletic activity to stay fit, learn teamwork, and develop a healthy competitive nature. This will help them to really create memories they will never forget and help the kids to really bond as a family and build strong friendships.

Posted September 26, 2011
I am a student who has attended The Carver Academy for the last 4 years. Ever since Kindergarten. I feel that the school offers many challenging academic classes. They always teach us at, at least, 1 grade level above where we are at. I am currently 2 grade levels above in all subjects. They do give us alot of work, but I think it helps us alot to be better prepared for my future. I hope to attend TMI and then to M.I.T. for a degree. I feel The Carver Academy has given me the best start for my education. Better than I could get at any other school. I think that parents should send their kids to the Carver Academy to get a great education.

Posted October 13, 2010
The Carver Academy is loved by all the students, parents and faculty. I love The Carver Academy because they base their learning on Judeo Christian philosophy and six pillars: Initiative,integrity, service, community,leadership and faith. The student teacher ratio is 1:15. Therefore the one on one attention is given to each student. Parents are encourage to be involved as well as teaching your child to be independent. My son has attended Carver for 2 years and he is a different child when school starts. He is excited and enjoys learning. The students at Carver no matter the age are always offering assistance to other students. If someone trips and falls there is another student running to aid the student up. The students are always well behaved and are respectful of other students feelings and surroundings. The school provides a variety of extra curricular activities such as soccer, ballet, band, basketball, piano and let me not forget academic tutoring. This school in my opinion is the best in San Antonio, Tx.

Posted August 01, 2009

Posted December 22, 2008

The Carver Academy
217 Robinson Place, San Antonio, TX  78202
Last modified The Carver Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
The Carver Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews.