Buckner Fanning Christian School

Private | K-8

Living in San Antonio

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $241,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,130.

Sweep tile

Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014

It upsets me to read the negative remarks and insinuations made by uninformed observers. I served as the assistant head of school for the last seven years, serving under three Heads. In the Fall of this year my husband and I felt called back to Pa to be with our children and family. At that time I wrote to the parents of our school and informed them of my decision. Our house sold in two days to our surprise. The school was kind enough to allow me to leave early instead of incurring the expense to find housing till the end of the year. There was no other reason. I left knowing the school was in the best hands it had ever been in. The school has always had a kind and welcoming Head of School. However, we all know the pilot does not always fly the plane. Many of the insinuations below are just that and far from fact. Private school is not for everyone and if this school is not a good fit for your family it would be foolish to attend. But many families love BFCS and flood the office daily to talk with the HOS. The programs are stronger than ever, taught by qualified and devoted teachers. I feel confidant that God is my fact checker.

Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Great things are happening at Buckner Fanning Christian School! I am honored to work among dedicated Christians who put the needs of kids academically, emotionally and spiritually FIRST. The leadership has high expectations academically and works tirelessly with a servant's heart. Teachers, administrators, support staff and parents work endless hours to make BFCS a school that every student and family can be proud of. Without the testing emphasis of public education, teachers at Buckner can concentrate on true learning and knowledge, not test taking skills. Many exciting things have happened on this campus this year to include book clubs, science fair, field trips for middle school and elementary students, a Texas Celebration Night, music programs, and more! As a retired teacher from a large school district, I can honestly say that I am proud to work on such a hardworking, kid focused campus with wonderful coworkers and administration.

Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I love BFCS for my two children. Previously my children were enrolled in a local public school and another local private school. Those schools could not provide the academic rigor that my children needed. BFCS is dedicated to teaching children in a way that is meaningful and engaging with a foundation on Christ. No other school can compare with BFCS's academics and Biblical influence.

Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Buckner Fanning Christian School is a great school that provides an exemplary education with a strong Christian foundation. The school is committed to small class sizes which allows more one to one time for the students. The current leadership is far superior to past years and has made great strides in advancing the programs. The campus is a unique beautiful hill country setting. There is very much a community feel to the campus - it's really an extended family. If you are looking for a school for your child/ren, I would highly recommend BFCS.

Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Buckner Fanning Christian School is an excellent school. The small class size and Christian education set it apart from the public and private schools in the area. The teachers have great relationships with the students and we are able to differentiate our instruction based on the needs of the children. Change can be difficult but it is required in all organizations. I am proud of the work we do at BFCS and I know it is a great place for children to learn and teachers to work.

Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I am a parent of a first grader here at BFCS. We were in the public school system for part of kinder and then moved here. The smaller class size and the teachers have been awesome. Not only is my child getting more one on one attention in the classroom, the students are also getting more variety and creativity. They get PE every day, gardening, music, Spanish, computers, and art every week, Christian Ed everyday. My child has grown so much academically, socially, and spiritually here. My husband and I could not be happier. The teachers here want to be here and truly love their jobs and are excited to be here. We will be bringing our youngest here next year for preschool!! I would definitely recommend this school to everyone. I love it here! And the parents and other students are great as well. I love how involved all the parents are in their children's' education.

Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Devotion to God, to students, and to colleagues, that s what distinguishes the BFCS staff. As a veteran teacher and member of the church sharing space with the school, I ve enjoyed watching BFCS grow and transform. Although it s been excellent for years, I couldn t help but notice the positive changes that have occurred since the new HOS took charge. The increase in academic rigor allows students to feel challenged but not overwhelmed. While public schools must focus almost exclusively on subjects covered by state-mandated testing, BFCS works to enhance student learning in foreign languages, the arts, and religious education. The school also draws from our wealth of community resources, bringing in special programs and presenters, as well as taking students out of the classroom for hands-on learning excursions. The most notable improvement has been an increase in professional excellence. Teachers regularly analyze and elevate their own practice. Staff members work together to assess curricular materials and develop educational plans that ensure student success. This dedication to the art of teaching sets BFCS apart from other schools, and their students happily reap the benefits.

Posted December 4, 2013

BFCS is an exceptional value that is largely unknown in the community. BFCS provides a Christ centered world class academic experience in a small classroom setting. Both of our children attend BFCS and perform at least one grade level above buddies from their prior school. Our neighborhood elementary school has an Exemplary rating, but we still choose BFCS. Even more important than academic excellence, BCFS creates a sense of belonging where children gain the self-confidence and character they will need in adolescence, through teenage years and into young adulthood. Currently, capacity exceeds demand at BFCS. However, simply concentrating marketing efforts within a five mile radius of the school will dramatically increase awareness and demand. I strongly encourage any parent with PK through 8th grade age children to do everything they possibly can to enroll them.

Posted October 9, 2012

Buckner Fanning Christian School has exceeded our expectations. We started new this year after looking at most of the private schools in San Antonio. Our middle schooler loves the school, the new friends and the teachers. The sports program is top notch, with a great coaches on top of wonderful academics. Our third grader transitioned so well into this school. He is loving it, and very excited to attend Buckner. From the elementary school to the middle school, we can not say enough good things about Buckner Fanning Christian School. Go Bobcats!

Posted June 22, 2011

I have two kids attending BFCS now and we have loved this school since day one. The teachers truly care about each and every student. They take the time to ensure that no child is left behind and achieves his or her true potential. The communication between parent and teacher is fantastic. We are constantly updated on our kids progress and what's in store for them as the year progresses. It seems like we sit in orientation each year listening to the goals and objectives each teacher lays out for our kids and we get nervous about whether or not our kids are ready. Each school year ends with our kids achieving their goals and in most cases surpassing them. This is directly a result of the teachers not only teaching but truly caring about each and every student. Not only do the kids all receive a foundation of education that is second to none, they do so in a Christian environment. Faith and worship are two of the pillars of that foundation. After completing the 10 year wait, BFCS is finally accredited! However, this has always been an amazing school. We are so blessed to have found BFCS and look forward to continuing our kids' education here. Thank you.

Posted May 3, 2011

My children have been going to BFCS for the past 4 years since Pre K. We could not be happier. Every year, the teachers have been outstanding. They have learned so much beyond the everyday academics. They continue to thread the Christian message and values throughout the entire day of school, not just in chapel. The small class size allows the teachers to focus on every individual need of each student. I appreciate the fact that the administration does not hesitate to expel or not invite kids back for the next school year if they misbehave. We are so thankful to have found Buckner Fanning! Also, BFCS just received accreditation. They were not able to even apply for it until they were 10 years old. After that anniversary, they applied and passed with flying colors!!

Posted April 14, 2011

My son attends PK at BFCS and just adores it! We have been so pleased with the teachers, administration and social/academic programs. The campus is gorgeous and peaceful and my son has really blossomed. Great job BFCS!

Posted November 18, 2010

I am also sorry to hear that your kid was,"bullied". This is our second year at BFCS and my daughter loves it!. Her teacher calls me on a regular basis and they care! The principal is always available and they have a zero tolerance for bullying. The Core Knowledge program is excellent and I love to hear my daughter come home and tell me things she has learned about history, science and social studies. My youngest will be there next year!

Posted April 2, 2010

Let's start with the positive---the campus is beautiful, the class size is small, and there is the Core Knowledge system where everything learned follows a sequence. But one of the problems we encounter here is the social bullying my child experiences at elementary level. The students here may seem well behaved, but they lack the capacity to care and interact with people with different backgrounds, and the same goes on with the PTC. Our kid came from another private school in town and was tested way beyond his grade level in reading, math and other areas, and yet other kids in the class were mean to him. BFCS is a school that stresses conformity over Christian values and diversity, and the way the school is run, it is going to remain that way. This is not a good match if your child is gifted or you want more academic challenge.

Posted April 2, 2010

Conformity is placed over diversity. There is a big 'snooty' factor going on among student body and parents. On the flip side, the tuition is reasonable, and there is core knowledge

Posted October 17, 2008

The staff at BFCS is WONDERFUL. Every experience we've had with teachers and other parents has been warm and welcoming. This is our third year at BFCS and my daughters' classmates are always friendly, courteous and caring. I'm impressed with how polite and helpful the children are from the older classes. For example, during the BFCS Bike Rodeo a young boy in 7th grade offered to help me by taking my daughter's bike to my car. I'm learning along with my daughters from The Core Knowledge Program. I've learned more about history helping my daughters study for their classes than I did when I when to private Catholic grade and high school. My daughters have very different personalities, one is extremely physically active and the other prefers reading and knitting. Both of my daughters find BFCS academically and socially stimulating!

Posted August 25, 2008

This Christian Core Knowlege school is excellent. The loving atmosphere and parent involvement adds up to a culturally and academically rich experience for the children. They are taught about God, respect and ethics in addition to the three R's.

Asian 3% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer animation

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

975 Mission Springs