San Antonio, TX
Students enrolled: 1,546

Alamo Heights High School 1

Posted June 24, 2014
I couldn't have asked for a worse high school experience than what I got at Heights. Sure, the academics are solid; but that doesn't make up for the fact that the people are shallow and flat out rude. Despite coming from money, these kids never once accepted me or gave me the time of day. They never reached out, or ever included me in anything in the entire 6 years I was in Alamo Heights ISD (jr. high 12th grade). I always seeked their friendship; but they never wanted mine. It s not just the students that I'm calling out; it s everyone: the students, the stuck up parents who raised their insolent, snotty children, and the teachers/faculty who only cared about the school s reputation and not actually trying to shape their kids into decent people. They all have attitudes. If there s one word that I can use to describe Alamo Heights: it s fake. NOTE to everyone: If you didn t grow up here (your whole life), then it s difficult to fit in. I basically was invisible every day at this school. No one ever noticed me. I'll never move back to Heights nor will I ever raise a family here. It was a huge disappointment, causing me nothing but depression and grief throughout my childhood.

Posted May 26, 2014
As a HISPANIC former student that did NOT come from a wealthy background (hard-working, lower-middle class), I will say that I am so thankful I attended Alamo Heights as it prepared me and my siblings very well for college (3 of us ended up at Top 30 universities) and the real world. I think it prepared all of us to learn to compete and not expect anything to be handed to us. My teachers always encouraged me to try my hardest and do more. Even as a kindergartener, my teachers saw my potential and encouraged my parents to have me take a test to be in the HEIGHTS program, a program in AH elementary schools for gifted students. I finally passed the test in 2nd grade, and my teachers continued to push me to do better in my GT/Pre-AP/AP classes in middle school and HS. I ended up graduating in the Top 10% of my class and got accepted (with scholarships) to a number of Top 25 universities. Socially, I had a lot of friends, and while there were definitely cliques (like at any HS), I think by Junior year, most of the groups got along. I can honestly say that if I ran into any single person I graduated with today, I would feel comfortable catching up and having a conversation with them.

Alamo Heights High School 1

Posted April 06, 2014
This school has NOT earned the highest TEA rank which says EVERYTHING. Academics are WEAK, the achievement gap is HIGH, AP class scores DO NOT match up with AP test scores, grade inflation is ULTRA-HIGH, I suspect that most students make it into college, but CANNOT stay past their freshman year, family name and income dictate grades, punishments and advancements. Moral character is DISMAL!! When someone tells you that they are the best in SA and that you should send your child to school there, ask, "Why are they not ranked EXEMPLARY?"

Posted February 25, 2014
I graduated from Alamo Heights High School a long time ago and returned for my class reunion and realized it is still the great school I attended so long ago. It prepared me for college and for life.

Posted August 22, 2012
I am content with the academics at the high school; however, there is a lack of variety regarding the types of classes offered, especially languages. The teachers are EXCEPTIONAL. There is a lot of "clique-iness", so to speak, but as mentioned before, it certainly helps kids and teens to develop social skills.

Alamo Heights High School 2

Posted February 01, 2011
I currently go to this school and I find myself sitting at a public library trying to figure out my homework. It is 11:00 AM and yes, I did skip school. It is not normal for me to do this but since I do not understand what my teachers are trying teach me, and succceessfully failing at, I give no moe effort into understandind my them since either they are busy during lunch or they never get to school on time in the morning. I never get a chance to talk to them and ask questions. Why can't the get this?!

Posted November 09, 2010
I moved to AHISD in 6th grade and thank God every day for making that happen. The teachers are great, everyone is smart and comes from a good family, and you don't have to be scared of anyone. We are the only school in San Antonio with no police department because we have no fights or anything.

Posted April 13, 2010

Posted February 11, 2010
I attended Alamo Heights and it is definitely a great school. Remember, the vast majority of what kids learn is not in school, so don't depend on teachers to teach everything. As for the social scene. If you make an effort, you will find your group. Alamo Heights develops kids social skills, a very important asset in life. I am very grateful for attending AHHS and it successfully prepared me for college.

Alamo Heights High School 0

Posted February 03, 2010
Alamo Heights is the best and you do not get made fun of for wearing the same outfit twice. All the teachers rock.

Alamo Heights High School
6900 Broadway Street, San Antonio, TX  78209
Last modified Alamo Heights High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Alamo Heights High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top