Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I feel that every experience is unique. Our experience with AHHS is that it is a very academically challenging. My daughter has spent countless nights and weekends on homework and projects. The grading the system is very tough; very rarely do they have any sort of curve, or extra credit work. She is enrolled in pre and AP classes. Most of her friends have gone on to Tier I schools. In most of her classes, the average grade on test is a mid- to low-B (it’s announced to the class). The reason for the 90+ GPA is that those are weighted GPAs (AH uses a 1.1 multiplier - this is only for class rank). Colleges go with the unweighted GPA. You will find that the average is much lower. I would recommend AH as a great prep school for college.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

If a teacher is effective, you can be sure that they no longer work in the district. You have 2 options: teach and get bullied or babysit and hand out A's. There is a very good reason that 50% of the graduating class has a 90 or above average, and it's not because 40% of the students are geniuses or hard workers.

Amount of homework: Disagree

The wealthy and powerful parents dictate that there should be NO homework, so teachers are bullied until they just give in a do nothing. Why not, it's better than being harrassed..

Kids usage for cellphones during school for other than academic purpose is overwhelming and a great concern. Teachers are not strict with the studens, so they get away with so much Rules should be informed more in this school, teachers and the rest of the staff need to do their job, and stop being lazy

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Teachers have it good. They are not supervised enough in the classrooms, and the kids like it, because they get away with so much. The girls do not dress in appropriate manner, no teachers enforce the dress code. Most students use the cellphone in the classroom to be on social media , bad websites etc. teachers do not care.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Regular classes the kids need to be challenged more. It is so easy, my fear that when it comes to college the material is not processed well.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

So much cover up for the students in the classrooms . Students do not follow rules and administration and staff are to blame, because they do not enforce the rules.

I couldn't have asked for a worse experience as well. Just to explain my experience in a nutshell, I don't think I have ever seen teachers and students this lazy before in my life. Everyone who says the Alamo Heights academics and teachers are exceptional must not have been to any other schools. Truthfully, the teachers are not dedicated to helping you become better students. In addition, the academic standards are VERY low. Not to mention the social aspect of the school. Alamo Heights is easily said as a complete bully and clique hotspot, and that's the truth. I have encountered MANY people leaving not only becasue of the poor academics, but the people. This school claims to have strict dress code policies as well. I think you could ask anyone in the area and they will say that they have never seen anyone wear those short of shorts, or that see through of a top before than at Alamo Heights. VERY insufficient and lazy middle school experience concerning teachers/faculty, academics, and extracurricular activities. Eventually I switched just before high school so I could atleast try to get in to a good college.

I couldn't have asked for a worse high school experience than what I got at Heights. Sure, the academics are solid; but that doesn't make up for the fact that the people are shallow and flat out rude. Despite coming from money, these kids never once accepted me or gave me the time of day. They never reached out, or ever included me in anything in the entire 6 years I was in Alamo Heights ISD (jr. high 12th grade). I always seeked their friendship; but they never wanted mine. It s not just the students that I'm calling out; it s everyone: the students, the stuck up parents who raised their insolent, snotty children, and the teachers/faculty who only cared about the school s reputation and not actually trying to shape their kids into decent people. They all have attitudes. If there s one word that I can use to describe Alamo Heights: it s fake. NOTE to everyone: If you didn t grow up here (your whole life), then it s difficult to fit in. I basically was invisible every day at this school. No one ever noticed me. I'll never move back to Heights nor will I ever raise a family here. It was a huge disappointment, causing me nothing but depression and grief throughout my childhood.

As a HISPANIC former student that did NOT come from a wealthy background (hard-working, lower-middle class), I will say that I am so thankful I attended Alamo Heights as it prepared me and my siblings very well for college (3 of us ended up at Top 30 universities) and the real world. I think it prepared all of us to learn to compete and not expect anything to be handed to us. My teachers always encouraged me to try my hardest and do more. Even as a kindergartener, my teachers saw my potential and encouraged my parents to have me take a test to be in the HEIGHTS program, a program in AH elementary schools for gifted students. I finally passed the test in 2nd grade, and my teachers continued to push me to do better in my GT/Pre-AP/AP classes in middle school and HS. I ended up graduating in the Top 10% of my class and got accepted (with scholarships) to a number of Top 25 universities. Socially, I had a lot of friends, and while there were definitely cliques (like at any HS), I think by Junior year, most of the groups got along. I can honestly say that if I ran into any single person I graduated with today, I would feel comfortable catching up and having a conversation with them.

Last modified Alamo Heights High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.