Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Young Women's Leadership Academy 1

Posted February 10, 2016
Terrible experience for so many reasons; however, the icing on the cake happened a few weeks ago when my daughter came home with lice. Furthermore, she was allowed to return to school the next day with a head full of nits (despite my call to the school to inquire about its health regulations with lice) and she was also "encouraged" to not say anything about the lice! Indeed, no note from SAISD or the school nurse was ever sent out to parents regarding this matter. Why? Because YWLA -must- have an outstanding attendance record. Who cares about a few hundred nits or some lice or the health and well-being of the students and their families! This school is a disgrace. Utterly third-world mentality. Hideous administration and staff. Will report this incident to the Board of Education and the many other teacher-related problems to the Superintendent.

Young Women's Leadership Academy 1

Posted January 10, 2016
You have to feel sorry for the kids whose parents won't let them leave, and they are many. They are made to stay either to keep them in a sole gender school, or due to the illusion of great scholarships. A real pity, and a long time in a child's life.

Young Women's Leadership Academy 2

Posted November 07, 2015
It is a petty arrogant environment that is not healthy for kids unless their home life can counter it. Administrator takes full advantage of charter status to bully teachers and students into leaving. Parents and visitors are fed a glossy, heavily orchestrated show that hides the real picture. Favorable reviews are posted by the same people that make promotional videos. It is a phony atmosphere based entirely on test scores.

Posted November 06, 2015
Outstanding staff and the administration is great. Girls are challenged and are taught to be accountable for all assigned work. Teachers go above and beyond at this school and take great pride in student success which is why it was designated a national blue ribbon school!

Posted April 10, 2015
YWLA is a great school for girls who love to learn, need positive guidance, need a challenge, or need to gain confidence in their ability to succeed amongst their peers. The teachers and staff work very hard, round the clock to make sure they are available to help the students. They also dedicate a lot of their time organizing events aimed at student success. My daughter was one of the first graduates, class of 2014. She earned a full-paid, 4 year, academic scholarship to a great college. She is a freshman earning a degree in AstroPhysics. She recently took a 2 week trip, through the college, to Santiago, Chile to study at an observatory in the desert. As far as being prepared for college, the rigorous academics, truly prepared her for college level courses. And I'm not going to lie, she experienced constant stress and almost no social life other than afterschool activities, but now she is breezing through college; 4 courses, while working 32 hours off-campus, and she has a social life. I would highly recommend this school, especially if you are a parent who cannot afford to pay high cost tuition, or give your daughter the opportunity to attend a college of her choice.

Posted October 06, 2013
My school is amazing! I am currently in the 7th grade and I have learned so much in the past years. We have basketball, volleyball, tennis, and track.. Our teams play really great- undefeated! There is no bullying at this school and it may seem as if being in a all girls school is no fun- but I have had the most fun in my life for these past years. We show great leadership, our teachers are here 24/7 for us... Before school and after. Sure this school may cause stress, but you will come over it. I LOVE my school. We have a hardworking art, dance, and choir department. We also have ALOT of clubs such as drama club, interior design club, etc. your daughter will be college ready and focused on her academics while having fun! I really recommend your daughter attending here, after all, we are ranked the #1 middle school in Texas!

Posted September 03, 2013
I am currently a 7th grader at the YWLA. I personally love this school. Yes, the teachers may be really strict, but they all have their fun side. I also love this school because there are no bullies or 'populars' in this school. The teachers are all really fun to be around and the staff are just so nice. The girls here learn a lot. I have a family friend that is in 11th grade and I'm in a more advanced class than her! The school is just amazing and if you have a daughter, sister, granddaughter, or any kind of girl that you know, encourage her to come to this school. You and her wont regret it ! I plan on staying here for my middle school years, but maybe even high school ! I love the YWLA!

Posted August 31, 2013
Ywla well what can I say about it. Well for starters I am currently a sixth grader there and right now I absolutely love this school. The work is a lot but they break it down for you. The teachers there are wonderful. They are polite, nice, and supporting. Especially my principal, I know I've only been there a week now but she provides so much for us. I can personally say that I did not want to come to this school because of my "friends". But now since I've been here I found out that before they were not my friends. The girls there are so nice. Also there is no bullying. So try this school, apply, encourage and support your daughter! :)

Young Women's Leadership Academy 4

Posted June 22, 2013
As a grandparent I attend the initial organizational meetings and was highly impressed. My granddaughter attended YWLA middle school and it was exceptional. However, when the change in principals occured, the school suffered. The subjects offered at the high school level are very limited. Decisions are now controlled by parents, not the principal or staff; there is a lack of leadership. The purpose of YWLA was to allow a majority of underprivileged girls to know and become interested in continuing onto college. Along with extensive studies they would also be exposed and learn things not available in their home environment. With the parents controlling decisions, this has now failed. For that reason my granddaughter will not be attending high school there.

Posted June 17, 2013
This school is wonderful and ranked #1 in Texas middle school. It is hard but one thing your daughter will be college ready. Teachers are very caring and is welling to help the girls out even after hours. My daughter loves the school and enjoys playing sports for the school. I know when my daughter leaves YWLA she will be college ready and be able to accomplish all her goals that she has set for herself in life......

Young Women's Leadership Academy
2123 West Huisache Avenue, San Antonio, TX  78201
Last modified Young Women's Leadership Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Young Women's Leadership Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top