Posted October 06, 2013
My school is amazing! I am currently in the 7th grade and I have learned so much in the past years. We have basketball, volleyball, tennis, and track.. Our teams play really great- undefeated! There is no bullying at this school and it may seem as if being in a all girls school is no fun- but I have had the most fun in my life for these past years. We show great leadership, our teachers are here 24/7 for us... Before school and after. Sure this school may cause stress, but you will come over it. I LOVE my school. We have a hardworking art, dance, and choir department. We also have ALOT of clubs such as drama club, interior design club, etc. your daughter will be college ready and focused on her academics while having fun! I really recommend your daughter attending here, after all, we are ranked the #1 middle school in Texas!

Posted August 31, 2013
Ywla well what can I say about it. Well for starters I am currently a sixth grader there and right now I absolutely love this school. The work is a lot but they break it down for you. The teachers there are wonderful. They are polite, nice, and supporting. Especially my principal, I know I've only been there a week now but she provides so much for us. I can personally say that I did not want to come to this school because of my "friends". But now since I've been here I found out that before they were not my friends. The girls there are so nice. Also there is no bullying. So try this school, apply, encourage and support your daughter! :)

Young Women's Leadership Academy 4

Posted June 22, 2013
As a grandparent I attend the initial organizational meetings and was highly impressed. My granddaughter attended YWLA middle school and it was exceptional. However, when the change in principals occured, the school suffered. The subjects offered at the high school level are very limited. Decisions are now controlled by parents, not the principal or staff; there is a lack of leadership. The purpose of YWLA was to allow a majority of underprivileged girls to know and become interested in continuing onto college. Along with extensive studies they would also be exposed and learn things not available in their home environment. With the parents controlling decisions, this has now failed. For that reason my granddaughter will not be attending high school there.

Posted June 17, 2013
This school is wonderful and ranked #1 in Texas middle school. It is hard but one thing your daughter will be college ready. Teachers are very caring and is welling to help the girls out even after hours. My daughter loves the school and enjoys playing sports for the school. I know when my daughter leaves YWLA she will be college ready and be able to accomplish all her goals that she has set for herself in life......

Posted June 16, 2013
The Young Women Leadership Academy is one of the best schools here in San Antonio, Texas In fact, the middle school was just recently ranked #1 in Texas. The school focuses on education so that your daughter can be successful in the future. I am going on my fifth year here at YWLA and everything that I have learned and experienced has been outstanding. Additionally, the friendships and the bonds I've made here will be lifelong, because we all have become sisters. While it is true that some naysayers will say that the school is very "hardcore",difficult, and even too rigorous, I disagree - all you really need is time management. The teachers here are amazing and they bond easily with the students. Another thing about this school it is bully-free; there is absolutely no tolerance for that type of behavior. At YWLA, the ultimate goal here is not to graduate from high school, no,it is to graduate from college. I really recommend this school if you are planning on your daughter being successful in the future, because it has been the best choice I've ever made.

Posted April 06, 2013
This is an outstanding school, this is my daughter's third year attending and she has no intention of leaving. It is a small school as of today 333 students enrolled with 100 joining every year (6th graders). Just click on the test scores tab above this posting read them and then read the negative posting with a grain of salt. I have read some of the negative reviews and to be quite honest, I am pretty sure most of them are from girls (.05%) that couldn't handle the work load, were caught plagiarizing, stealing or some other type of serious offense. 99.5% of the young ladies that have stayed are focused and driven by the challenges they face. The challenges that I am referring to are , competition. They are so competitive with each other that they are driven to one up their fellow classmates. In HS it's so competitive that the GPA's are tenth's of a decimal point apart. ( May have to do a coin flip to determine the class valedictorian} If you want your child prepared for college and a successful academic life, then you owe to your daughter to apply for this school (citywide enrollment eligible)

Posted April 02, 2013
So, in fact, it is a tough school, but I know YWLA young ladies are going to be successful beyond high school because of the quality education YWLA continues to provide in preparing them for the competition of the global economy. Both faculty and students are challenged to rigorous and high expectations. At the same time, the girls are taught to be strong and bold leaders in an environment that respect their brains, thirst for knowledge and creativity. Further, the principal models and provides strong leadership by being visible and committed to the goal of academic and life-long excellence for the young women of YWLA. The faculty and staff are always finding ways to challenge the mediocrity education status quo by being innovative and always using data to compare and prepare our girls with students not just in San Antonio, but with students from across the country and world.

Young Women's Leadership Academy 1

Posted September 02, 2012
This school causes too much stress. College students getting a PhD don't even have half of the stress that YWLA students do, and they are ADULTS. This school is a night mare and about 90 % of the student body will agree that they hate this school and only stay because they are being forced to, but would leave in a heart beat. Horrible and ridiculous. Also the uniforms/rules are ridiculous, you have no self expression and you get in trouble for every little thing. Do yourself a favor and don't even consider this school.

Posted August 21, 2012
I am a student at YWLA and more likely the only one that stayed at the school and now is writing a review. I'm going to be a 9th grader this year and i started the school at 6th grade. I personally LOVE this school. Yes there is tons of work you have to do, however it pays off cause I got a really high score on the STARR test, gets you ready for college, and the SAT test that this school provides every year for every grade level to get an experience for college(FOR FREE). The teachers at the school give every individual student the help they need until they understand the material. This once happened to me when i didn't get the best grade in science. My teacher broke down the material so that it would be very clear for me. Now that i am going to High school, I already have 4 High school credits and I got a scholarship. This is JUST from my middle school year. Who knows what will I will get in High school. I would truly recommend this school in order to be amazing in the future!

Posted July 30, 2012
Strong principal; excellent communication; wonderful teachers; impressive resources and connections; highest academic standards - absolutely satisfied

Young Women's Leadership Academy
2123 West Huisache Avenue, San Antonio, TX  78201
Last modified Young Women's Leadership Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Young Women's Leadership Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top