Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

Something is very wrong at this school. All the high school teachers and nearly half of the 8th grade class quit the school this year. More kids would have left iif their parents would have let them.. The parents are isolated from each other with no independent communication. Something is really wrong there.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

A poorly run school aside from the test results which are a result of hand picking only high achieving students. Very trite, vindictive atmosphere.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The staff support crimes of their favorite students but expel students just for wearing wrong socks or sweaters that do not have the ywla logo. Recently, 2 high schoolers were caught making out in the bathroom but they were not suspended or expelled. However, other students who wear navy blue sweaters with no YWLA logo get into trouble more than those girls. Tell me does this promote fairness?

This school is a terrible place for both students and parents. The staff is terribly rude especially those who work in the lower positions. Nowadays students get lunch detention if they are 2 or 3 minutes late to class. Recently, 2 girls were caught inappropriately making out but these girls were not even suspended or expelled since they cried and begged so much. But if girls wear wrong colored socks or sweaters that are navy blue and don't have the YWLA logo, they get into trouble. The teachers do not even teach anything my other daughter going to another school knows more math, science, literature and history. They just load bunch of homework on the student calling it a way to prepare for college. My son goes to college and he sure does not get this much homework. I put my daughter in, hearing about the school's blue ribbon status but this school severely disappointed me.

Terrible experience for so many reasons; however, the icing on the cake happened a few weeks ago when my daughter came home with lice. Furthermore, she was allowed to return to school the next day with a head full of nits (despite my call to the school to inquire about its health regulations with lice) and she was also "encouraged" to not say anything about the lice! Indeed, no note from SAISD or the school nurse was ever sent out to parents regarding this matter. Why? Because YWLA -must- have an outstanding attendance record. Who cares about a few hundred nits or some lice or the health and well-being of the students and their families! This school is a disgrace. Utterly third-world mentality. Hideous administration and staff. Will report this incident to the Board of Education and the many other teacher-related problems to the Superintendent.

It is a petty arrogant environment that is not healthy for kids unless their home life can counter it. Administrator takes full advantage of charter status to bully teachers and students into leaving. Parents and visitors are fed a glossy, heavily orchestrated show that hides the real picture. Favorable reviews are posted by the same people that make promotional videos. It is a phony atmosphere based entirely on test scores.

Outstanding staff and the administration is great. Girls are challenged and are taught to be accountable for all assigned work. Teachers go above and beyond at this school and take great pride in student success which is why it was designated a national blue ribbon school!

YWLA is a great school for girls who love to learn, need positive guidance, need a challenge, or need to gain confidence in their ability to succeed amongst their peers. The teachers and staff work very hard, round the clock to make sure they are available to help the students. They also dedicate a lot of their time organizing events aimed at student success. My daughter was one of the first graduates, class of 2014. She earned a full-paid, 4 year, academic scholarship to a great college. She is a freshman earning a degree in AstroPhysics. She recently took a 2 week trip, through the college, to Santiago, Chile to study at an observatory in the desert. As far as being prepared for college, the rigorous academics, truly prepared her for college level courses. And I'm not going to lie, she experienced constant stress and almost no social life other than afterschool activities, but now she is breezing through college; 4 courses, while working 32 hours off-campus, and she has a social life. I would highly recommend this school, especially if you are a parent who cannot afford to pay high cost tuition, or give your daughter the opportunity to attend a college of her choice.

My school is amazing! I am currently in the 7th grade and I have learned so much in the past years. We have basketball, volleyball, tennis, and track.. Our teams play really great- undefeated! There is no bullying at this school and it may seem as if being in a all girls school is no fun- but I have had the most fun in my life for these past years. We show great leadership, our teachers are here 24/7 for us... Before school and after. Sure this school may cause stress, but you will come over it. I LOVE my school. We have a hardworking art, dance, and choir department. We also have ALOT of clubs such as drama club, interior design club, etc. your daughter will be college ready and focused on her academics while having fun! I really recommend your daughter attending here, after all, we are ranked the #1 middle school in Texas!

I am currently a 7th grader at the YWLA. I personally love this school. Yes, the teachers may be really strict, but they all have their fun side. I also love this school because there are no bullies or 'populars' in this school. The teachers are all really fun to be around and the staff are just so nice. The girls here learn a lot. I have a family friend that is in 11th grade and I'm in a more advanced class than her! The school is just amazing and if you have a daughter, sister, granddaughter, or any kind of girl that you know, encourage her to come to this school. You and her wont regret it ! I plan on staying here for my middle school years, but maybe even high school ! I love the YWLA!

Last modified Young Women's Leadership Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.