Briscoe Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1263 students

We are best known for providing quality programs in all facets of a public schoo

Living in San Antonio

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $198,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $750.

Posted July 17, 2014

My son attended Briscoe MS two years ago. I absolutely loved the school, the administration, and the staff; all of which remain at the campus. The foundation that my son built, with the support of the amazing staff, could not have been sturdier. Every teacher he had at Briscoe, challenged him to be the best he could be; they taught him work ethic in a developmentally appropriate manner for a child in MS. He has been very successful in HS as a result of the level of education he received during those years at Briscoe. The band program prepared my son for the rigors of a HS band program. Briscoe is a school worth moving in to the neighborhood for. NISD is frequently referred to as the destination district in San Antonio; Briscoe MS is the destination middle school.

Posted June 12, 2014

The administration is very helpful, Mr. Martinez is so involved with the students. My kids wish they can go back to Briscoe. It's the best school they have been too. Always brought home honor roll.

Posted April 10, 2014

My child has attended this school for the last two years-6th and 7th grade. It has been okay-not great. The Science department can use better qualified teachers. My child has had terrible science teachers both years. Also, too much public displays of affection in the hallways by the students. The administration needs to get a little more tough on enforcing the rules. Plus, unless you read the Briscoe web page, you will have no idea what is going on in the school. A big change from elementary where you receive communication weekly to almost never. Hopefully next year will be better.

Posted February 11, 2014

As a student teacher, I was fortunate enough to complete my observation hours at Briscoe. I learned the best teaching practices from knowledgeable teachers who genuinely care about the well-being of their students. The teachers and IA work together to do what is best for the class and individual students.

Posted January 13, 2014

We are a military family and last year my daughter entered 6th grade at Briscoe MS after 4 years in foreign schools. The staff, teachers and administration at Briscoe made her transition unbelievably smooth. She is doing well, working hard, and very happy due to the diligence of all Briscoe's staff. The policies such as 'no-bullying' etc. have given her the confidence needed to learn. I have spent time at the school, and I am amazed with how harmonious a population of middle schoolers can be! The learning atmosphere is superb and the relationship with parents very open and welcoming. In addition to the academics, the activities at Briscoe are very well done and inspiring to the children. The Theatre Arts program has been wonderful for both my child's public speaking skills and creativity. I am particularly impressed with the athletics program that encourages young people to stay healthy, work hard, and be all they can be. In short, my husband and I have nothing but positive things to say about Briscoe Middle School. The leadership, caring for our young people, and quality of education is superb.

Posted October 30, 2013

I have a 6th grader that transitioned beautifully to Briscoe due to the outstanding support and guidance received by ALL staff members at the school. Everyone we have met along the way seems genuinely concerned about the students and go the extra mile to make sure they are given the opportunity to succeed. As a parent, I could not ask for more.

Posted October 25, 2013

My son is in the 6th grade he is in Pre AP classes and an A honor roll student. During orientation, the principal told the parents to let him know if our children did not have the best first day of school ever. My son came home the first day, so we asked him, and he stated that it was the best first day of school he had experienced! To this day, our son is still having a great time and looks forward to going to school each day. The staff at Briscoe seem to genuinely care about their students and families! The level of communication at Briscoe is by far the best of any school we have dealt with. The overall atmosphere of the school is great, and this is a direct reflection of the staff and it's leadership. These are just a few reasons that we moved to be zoned for this school.

Posted October 23, 2013

I have been involved with four different school districts over the course of the last four years and I am so amazed at the level of service and accountability that I see form the staff at Briscoe Middle school. I currently have children enrolled in two other schools in the district and Briscoe is by far the best school of the three both for teaching staff and communication with the parents. I also want to mention that they have a very high level of professionalism while still maintaining the best customer service when caring for parents needs as well as student services they seem to always go above and beyond in ensuring that the students needs are met.

Posted October 4, 2013

My daughters started Briscoe last year as 7th graders. We have were very impressed with the school from the start. The teachers are intelligent, fair, and challenging. They truly want the best for their students. The administration is strong and fair. My son started at Briscoe this year and I have been equally impressed with the 6th grade faculty.

Posted August 22, 2013

We moved to Texas last year and my daughter began her middle school education at Briscoe Middle School. We were so pleased with the faculty at Briscoe this past year. My daughter was challenged with strong academics under the leadership of qualified and caring faculty members. As a parent, I was very impressed with the concern and involvement of her teachers. It was clear to me that they knew my quiet, more introverted daughter very well. This personal touch made her first year in middle school a good one. We have also been very impressed with the Band program. I am so pleased with the band faculty and the outside "master teachers" that bring their expertise into the band classroom. I am so pleased with the instruction my daughter has received at this school.

Posted August 20, 2013

This school is great! My son started at this school when he was in 7th grade, when the school first opened. From the start he was challenged every day. My daughter will be starting her 8th grade year this year and has also been challenged every year. She is now in all Pre-AP core classes. The teachers are wonderful and very involved with the students as well as the parents. That also carries over to the Principal Mr. Martinez as well as the PTA. This school is miles above the school my son started with when we first moved here. I would recommend this school to anyone considering where their child should go for middle school.

Posted August 7, 2013

As a parent, I know that my child is in great hand! As a 6th grader she was challenged and taken care of. She had amazing teachers that were truly experts in their field. Administration was always visible and Counseling staff always helpful. We are excited about 7th grade.

Posted August 4, 2013

This school has great student and parent involvement. The PTA is awesome! They help with dances and field day. They also donated picnic tables for outside eating.

Posted August 2, 2013

Briscoe Middle School is an "awesome" place to work....from the students who attend and have attended to the individuals who take it upon themselves to make sure our school is at it's best...the custodians. As a social studies teacher and firm believer that our duty as a teacher is to not only educate our young adults but to also help them evolve into productive citizens. To go out into the world and make a difference. Teachers, administration, and staff all work diligently to ensure that all students are given the opportunity to be the best they can be! At Briscoe MS students come first....what is in the best interest of our "bengals" that is what our Principal, Mr. Javier Martinez is all about. He is clearly a good leader and role model for our campus and our district.....Northside ISD. A quality that Mr. Martinez has that is so distinctive in a good leader is eye contact....he truly listens.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 27, 2013

This school is great! :) i was here for all 3 years, and this is just an amazing school. Great teachers, Good respectable students, and even a great education awaits the students... i loved this school, and im sad i had to leave! The only problem was though, even if it was hot, school dress codes still required PANTS, it's like 102 degress and im still wearing pants? That was the only part that was bad, and the vice principal mr benavidez always looked at the students, like he knew them as a troublemaker. but im pretty sure those are the only problems i ever saw, the rest of the school is great, a great facility, and awesome kids that will show friendliness and respect to you, even if you are new. Overall i would recommend this school to many parents and many kids tat live in the alamo ranch region and yeah. :)

Posted August 12, 2012

My 6th grader's experience at Briscoe M.S. was great, and he said his teachers were excellent :) I have to agree. Their instruction was challenging, and they did not let him off the hook when he wanted to slough off. They were willing to work with me when looking for ways to motivate him to do his part. The principal is well balanced, strong, and a great leader. I'm only sorry that we had to move.

Posted November 12, 2011

For a school that's been in existence for only one year, Briscoe is off to a superior start in establishing itself as a school that thrives on academic excellence and promotes character develpoment. It offers an outstanding curriculum. The principal, Mr. Martinez, is a hands-on dedicated leader who can be seen regularly walking the campus grounds. Prior to relocating to San Antonio, I communicated with the Academic Dean, the school registrar and my child's assigned guidance counselor. These individuals were highly professional and well versed in providing me all the information I needed to ensure my child was placed in the most challenging classes. I am pleased to say my child has experienced a seamless transition from elementary school into a middle school. The Alamo Ranch area has several great subdivisions. Since individual expectations vary, I encourage anyone considering relocating to this area check to personally check out the location. Once a school is chosen, I humbly recommend that parent(s)/guardian(s), get to know the staff and volunteer in any way possible. Not only will you make a difference but you will notice a difference.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

289 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

284 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

252 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

251 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

244 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

250 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

All Students94%

Not special education97%
Proficient in English98%
Non-migrant98%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

419 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

415 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

397 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

387 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

393 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

378 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

245 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

372 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

371 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

7 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students88%

U.S. History

World Geography

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • This school did not receive a rating in 2009-2010.
  • This school did not receive a rating in 2008-2009.

Asian or Pacific Islander 2% 4%

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 4%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

School end time
  • 3:40 pm
  • JAVIER MARTINEZ
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (210) 674-0220

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Honors track
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
  • watchdogs, Veterans Day, booster organiz

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
1300
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
1300
Students typically come from these schools
Hoffman Elementary
Mireles Elementary

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Taft HIgh School