Public charter
San Antonio, TX

Posted December 13, 2014
I can't believe that this school is still open. Students can barely learn with the excessive disruptive behaviors in ALL of the grades; the lack of communication from the school; and the young inexperienced teachers who can't manage the classroom not to mention the rude and disrespectful students. My kids have complained to teachers, the counselors & even the principals about being bullied but nothing has been done. Then if my child fights back in defense he'll be suspended! The assistant principal Mrs. Vela told me that my daughter was almost two years behind but she hasn't received any tutoring and the school doesn't even give HW on Wednesdays or the weekend so how can she ever catch up? After three years at this school nothing has gotten better only worse, especially with the new principals and all these new teachers. This school is NO different than any of the neighborhood schools except the classes are more overcrowded.

Posted December 11, 2014
Idea Carver is one of the worst schools in SA if not THE worst. My son attended 1st & 2nd grade there in 2012-2014. 1st, children are allowed to bully without any punishment. My son was violently choked, kicked, punched, & slapped in the face - all 4 acts were separate incidents by different bullies! 2nd, kids are allowed to misbehave & disrupt class continuously. The teachers have no support from the administrative or the San Antonio Exective Director Rolando Pasado. I personally spoke with Mr. Pasado about my concerns with the continued disruption & bullying. His response in summary was that it's the teachers' fault if the kids misbehave. Although when the teacher would send a misbehaving or bullying student to the office, nothing would happen. I am aware of a first year teacher who was suppose to be co-teaching & she was put alone to teach. She asked for help from the high school principal ref kids' disruptive behavior, the principal told her if she couldn't handle it on her own then she shouldn't be teaching. 3rd, this school is so unorganized. Minimum communication between the school & parents. 4th, teacher turnover was just heartbreaking. This school is horrible.
2 people found this helpful

Posted November 03, 2014
This is the 3rd and most likely last year we will have our children at this school. At first, it was great. But it would appear the school has taken on more children than the teacher or facilities can handle. There are too many children per teacher and there is an extremely high rate of teacher turn over. There are almost no teachers left from 3 years ago. Additionally, 700 students are currently sharing 12 bathroom stalls. Its unacceptable. I will definitely be moving my children from this school.

Posted October 28, 2014
It has been a disappointment having my 3 kids here. One of my kids has a learning disability in reading and is 3 grades below her grade level but I was told that she can t attend tutoring because she s not as low as the other kids. This has greatly affected her self-esteem and now she doesn't even want to go to school. My other daughter on the other hand is 1 years above grade level but the school does nothing to challenge or engage her. The bullying is out of control and she's often teased and called a nerd & teacher's pet because she reads a lot & has manners. Even though she tells the teachers and academic counselor no one does anything. My oldest son is just above grade level but the kids in his overcrowded class are so rude & disruptive that he can barely focus on learning & the teachers can hardly control the behaviors. We have had 4 principals in 2 years and this year alone my son has had 4 different teachers quit! The administration keeps asking families to bear with them until the new building comes and things get better. Even if they have to go to 3 different schools, I have to do whatever it takes so my kids' education doesn't suffer any longer at this zoo!

Posted October 15, 2014
My nieces were Carver Christian students before this school changed to IDEA. There were less behavior problems & professional, experienced, kind teachers who cared about the students. EVERYTHING is different. Neither of my nieces like school anymore & one has headaches caused by all the chaos & changes at school. From the rude students & rampant bullying to the 5+ teachers who have quit since school started in August. In the past 3 years alone the school has had 4 different principals including the most recent one who says anything to pacify parents. Carver was once a really good school that taught morals & values but has changed into a school that talks a good talk about high expectations & college prep when actually it s the complete opposite! Classes are over-crowded; teachers yell to manage the class, one of my nieces receives extra HW as punishment because of some disruptive kids in her class & my other niece gets minimal to no HW which is hardly ever even graded! The principals have been saying the school is in transition but my sister has finally decided that enough is enough & is putting them in private school. This is a better idea for the success of my nieces!
2 people found this helpful

Idea Carver Academy 5

Posted June 16, 2014
Excellent Staff, Excellent academics. The best thing about this school is the dedication to actual learning and not a standardized test.

Idea Carver Academy 4

Posted May 27, 2014
Honestly I always thought a PTA was a glorified way for stay at home moms to compete with each other for best mom title. Seeing our PTA in action & seeing how a PTA is supposed to be run completely changed not only my view of PTAs in general but also my overall view of this school. Communication is the biggest problem with this school & I feel slowly but surely our PTA is closing the gap. You know what I love about a lot of the activities our PTA has brought is that they really are family activities where everyone has to put down their technology & spend time together. Between the chess club & sets, the Witte sleepover, & the symphony 4pk of tickets, I have had more relationship bonding time with my daughter doing really memorable activities that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to do if it hadn't been brought by the PTA. I don't know if this school would be as awesome without our PTA.

Posted May 23, 2014
I am disappointed and angry at the way this school is being run. The staff almost make the curriculum a secret and do not give parents enough credit to help their kids at home. The communication between parents and staff is almost non-existent. I believe that they think that since the majority of the children come from low-income households that the parents don't really have time or care enough to advocate for their children. The secretaries are unprofessional. Many of the teachers are in over their heads. The principal is not very accessible and has been programmed to say the right thing to keep you quite until the next thing that sets you off. I was surprised to hear that she does not support nor care much about the awesome PTA that was organized this year. Despite her lack of interest or support, the PTA has done many great things for the kids. I've never heard of a school that did not yearn for more parental involvement! There is a bullying problem that has not been addressed and the administration is NOT willing to have a meeting with parents to address their concerns. This only discourages anyone to come forward. When will the parents be heard?

Posted April 04, 2014
The "idea" of college 4 everyone is great compared 2 many of the local ISD's - the sad part is the school is all talk & does nothing 2 develop the whole child except drill test prep in 2+hours of instruction for all the kids regardless of their needs. Sadly, there are no extracurriculars except a quick 20 minute recess. Only the older kids get 2 participate in sports & that is SO unorganized - no schedules, transportation, etc. Parent input about ANYTHING is a joke - communication is NON- existent & even though there's an organized & competent PTA, they aren't even able 2 do much because the schools administration is so anti-parent it's like a communism. The former principal was visible, greeted students & parents EVERY morning & everyone knew who he was. The new principal has been there 4 months & barely anyone knows who she is except that she's condescending & belittles students, parents & even staff w/her tone! Hopefully the organization sees that San Antonio IS NOT the Valley where IDEA is popular & sees that Urban San Antonio students & families have different needs & it takes MORE than academics 2 prepare students 2 compete 4 top colleges.

Posted January 27, 2014
I'm beyond disappointed with Idea Carver Academy. The staff is careless and incompetent. Their communication skills are horrible , almost non existent. The children are scared to talk about what goes on in the school for fear they will be in trouble after the parents speak to the school staff. Speaking to the staff about any issues is pointless either way. Whether you speak to the teacher directly, the teacher assistant, the office staff, the principal, the assistant principal of operations, even the communications director, it just won't make a difference. This school is not a good environment to help children thrive and build self confidence. My heart hurts every morning I have to drop off my child at school not knowing what else might happen.

Idea Carver Academy
217 Robinson Place, San Antonio, TX  78202
Last modified Idea Carver Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Idea Carver Academy Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top