East Central High School

Public | 9-12 | 2810 students

Living in San Antonio

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $150,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $760.

Posted February 2, 2014

I go to EC and it's fantastic! I love that school every teacher is a great help and every one is very friendly!

Posted December 16, 2013

If you are an involved parent, my children have succeeded in every way, the AP and Early College programs are fantastic.

Posted July 31, 2013

I go to East Central. I am going to be a Sophomore this year.This school good my opinion POINT BLANK.My only complaint is the food.Don't get me wrong its good its just that I've been in this district since first grade and don't want to go anywhere else.

Posted July 16, 2013

East Central is a great school that is on the more. Your child can get an outstanding education here at ECHS if he or she is willing to do the things that it takes. Teacher quality is excellent, Principal leadership is outstanding, Parent involvement is on the rise. Every school in the city have problems but that is a very small part of all schools. Everyone need to focus on the great things that are happening at EC, a public high school, Every students at EC can take Pre AP and AP classes if they want too, there no barriers stopping students from taking advance courses. The leadership at EC is always looking for ways to make sure that students are college and workforce ready when they graduate. School can only do so much, parents are the real teachers, it all start at home. Yes, you focus on the negatives or you can get on board with the rest of us and continue to take ECHS to greater heights.. In closing checkout our agrculture program, JROTC, the mighty band , culinary arts, the art department just to name a few extra curriculum programs that your child could be involved with.

Posted September 18, 2012

My children attend this school and I was a substitute teacher for two years. The administrative staff spends more time attending to the disobedient kids and therefore they don't have time to devote any attention to the good kids. Their funds also go to programs for the bad kids so gifted kids do not have programs to help challenge them. Also, if your child becomes a victum of one of the bad kids, don't expect any help from the staff. Even if its violence, they will not do anything about it except suggesting you should home school because they can't guarantee your childs safety. The breakfast and lunch menu is one of the worst in the nation. Again, I worked there for two years and in the mornings you can expect donuts, coco puffs, brused apples or packaged pastries. The lunch room always runs out of food before the second lunch so the kids are stuck eating pizza or watered down speghetti saunce with stale noodles everyday. And thats only if your kids are lucky enough to even get lunch. They lines are so long that by the time the kids sit down with their lunch, they only have about 2 minutes to eat. This school is huge but way over populated and not recommended.

Posted July 12, 2012

I am currently a student at East Central and believe it is a great school. The deversity of students wonderful, for the most part the teachers are very easy to get along with and truely care about their students. As far as the GT program is concerned, it is true there is no GT in middle school, however the GT program offered in Elementry, Intermediate, and High School is wonderful. The Colloqlium classes for GT kids requires muc effort and teaches kids a great deal. I love my school and many of my teachers, the different groups of kids there is very benificial for me, I think, because in the real world, that's what is out there. Placing your child in a bubble with only similar kids may benefit them now, but later, perhaps not so much. As long as you teach your child values, goals, and how important grades are, they will do great and have amazing experiences.

Posted October 3, 2011

If you have a gifted child, do not expect much from this district. There is not a GT Program in the middle schools. Even the small amount of time that is spent in "GT" during the Elementary years was just not enough to stimulate a gifted child. They refused to move my child ahead even though my child was ridiculously bored with the same repetitive curriculum. The chief complaint from the teachers was the budget. Many teachers claimed they simply did not have enough to work with. It's quite embarrassing walking into some of these classrooms and seeing outdated computers or worse no computers at all. As a parent and a former staff member, I can see this district taking a serious nose dive in the future as far as academics goes.

Posted July 11, 2010

it is a great school i think it could use a little bit more funding from the district

Posted November 18, 2009

East Central is not a very good school. It has a poor Leadership Base to go with its poor exterior. I am a former student and my kids go there. I had trouble, but did fine in college. I am trying to move out of the district. From the Surperintendent to the rest, they only want to help a select few. If you are not in the Selected Few, your chances there are slim to none. Avoid this school at all cost. I am trying to get me kids into Private Schoo. I can't afford it, but I must find a way. My kids can't afford me not to.

Posted September 3, 2008

The vice principals in this high school leave much to be desired. They are not interested in children, much less parents. It's a shame that the calibur of the vice principals does not equat that of the staff surrounding them.

Posted July 28, 2008

One of my children graduated from East Central High School with a great education. He was amply prepared for college and does quite well. My other child is still attending East Central and is also receiving a fine education. I have been very pleased with this school!

Posted May 23, 2008

I am a former East Cenral student. I had a wonderful high school experience and always felt safe. I am now a mother of four and I would not want my kids to go to any other high school. I made sure to buy a home in the district. 'Go Hornets'

Posted November 3, 2007

I'm a former student of E.C.H.S and graduated in 07 I graduated form another school but I missed EC it was a great place people were friendly the teacher were cool and very concerned if you needed help and were failing oh special prompts to Mrs.Horsby she was awesome she spoke to you as an adult and treated you like one that is the most important way to reach out to students, cause we are no longer kids but young adults and that's how she treated you. I don't think they concentrate to much on the football team they are not that great it's more the students that concentrate on the sport an lose track on school work.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 10, 2007

I am parent who has two daughters who graduated from this school, and a son who is a current freshmen. I can't speak to the experience of parents whose students are not involved in extracurricular activities or advanced placement, GT/Honors classes. However, I can speak to the wonderful experiences my family has encountered during the past nine years. My children participated in athletics (volleyball, baketball, cheerleading, & football) and they were required to attend tutoring as a part of their practice schedule. Coaches and administrators provided numerous opportunities for parent involvement. I have only encountered an 'open door' policy and any time I had questions, they were generally addressed within 48 hours. Both my daughters earned college credits before they graduated (one w/18 hours) & if you are interested in being a part of your child's educational experience this is the district to choose.

Posted October 8, 2007

Vastly over-rated. Far too much emphasis on football and not on education. No goals set by teachers theyre just going through the motion.

Posted October 4, 2007

I think that east central is a really good place to send your kids and learn and you can trust me I go there!

Posted October 2, 2007

It is disappointing to see how far ECHS has fallen. The achievement gaps for students who are other language speakres are huge. This campus was a recognized high school not too long ago. Now it is a mess, and could be easily considered an embarrassment. There is no vision for the students or the future. They need an energetic principal who will stay for long enough to make a statement about the school and its direction. This school needs a total extreme makeover.

Posted July 10, 2007

I have a daughter who graduated in 2000, and a son who just graduated in 2007. Over the 11 years that I was a parent at ECHS, I saw a great deal of change, and not for the better. Under the leadership of Mr. Eckhart and Ms. Russell-Heinsohn, the school was safe, orderly, and achievement was top-notch. ECHS won many awards, and not just on the playing fields. The principals knew the students by name, and they were very visible. Students knew they were respected and held to a high standard. Now, management by reactionary petty rules seems the norm. Upper level courses are taught by outstanding teachers, but average and lower students don't get the same quality. Since 1999, there have been 6 principals!! The school needs stability, consistency, and a gigantic turnaround. I am sad for the future students at ECHS, but glad my children have graduated.

Posted June 19, 2007

I am currently a senior at East Central High School. I believe that the school needs to be worked on. When I go to the restroom there is no toilet paper, soap or paper towels. The only good bathrooms are in the Math and Science building. Also the rules are not enforced. There is too much focus being put on the football team, even though they do not perform well. I believe the focus should be on the choir, band, ROTC and various organizations, who are doing well.

Posted November 27, 2006

I am currently a student at East Central and have been utterly dissatisfied with my 4 years at this school. The campus is old. Around campus there is a lack of real leadership and at times common sense, especially by the administration.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

678 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

666 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

641 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

631 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

635 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

639 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

590 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

590 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

594 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

592 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students97%

White100%
Economically disadvantaged97%
Special education85%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

632 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

176 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

788 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

635 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

832 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

911 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

678 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

676 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

659 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

837 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

649 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 8%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Industrial shop
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Gifted specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel

• Graphics

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7173 Farm-To-Market 1628