Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Not at all. My child was bullied very badly and the administration did nothing to stop it. Another child was bullied so badly that she ended up trying to commit suicide! She ended up in a psychiatric ward. This is real and it was a nightmare. We were able to pull our child out of the school before any further damage was done.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

ABSOLUTELY NOT! My child developed epilepsy in Kindergarten. The teacher was like a deer in headlights. She didn't know what on earth to do. 1st grade was worse. Even though the teacher was given explicit instructions on how to handle her, she was clueless and questioning and accusatory. It was a nightmare having a child with a disability and the school made it that much worse. We are still trying to heal from those horrible teachers and staff. It was traumatic and I'm not being dramatic here. It hurt us a lot and we are still appalled by the lack of understand and sympathy and assistance and education for our child.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Very poor indeed. 3 principals within 4 years at the school. None of them made any changes for the better! I would go have lunch with my daughter when I was on maternity leave with my second child. The principal would stand in the lunch room, with a microphone, and loudly tell them "CLAP ONCE! CLAP TWICE!" "WHAT'S 2X2?" and so on. It was so loud that I couldn't even talk to my child during lunch. I just sat there stunned at the regimented and awful act of desperation to get grades and test scores up. Lunch is a time for children to decompress; to get away and regroup. They were drilling these children like military camp or something. I obviously didn't work. Test scores were horrible every year she was there and they still are.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

No, no, no. I am not sure about now, but when we were there, they didn't care at all about developing strong character. The principal told me, when I asked about this type of thing, "We don't have time to teach them about good behavior and being a good person. If you want that kind of education, you need to go private!" Yeah. That's actually true. She said they only have time to teach basics of education. The bullying is no joke at this school. They are too afraid to do anything about it. I had to report a child to the police in order for something to get done. One little kid said some of the most awful things to my child and they didn't do anything about it. AWFUL!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Except 1 teacher, all of them had preconceived notions about the parents at this school. The neighborhood was on the poor side. I didn't know when we bought our house. I was young and didn't think about schools. We have left obviously. But the teachers will blame the parenting rather than their own teaching. When a child is with a teacher MORE than they are with a parent, what you do as a parent when they are with you can go out the door when the teachers are not supporting the good behavior at school! The principal actually told me, when I asked her about teaching good behavior at school, "We don't have time to teach them how to behave and be good people. If you want that kind of education, you need to go private!" So we did. I'm sorry, that's messed up.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Way too much homework. It was never a collaboration between parents and teachers. The teachers depended almost SOLELY on the parents to do the teaching. So many days, my daughter came home saying they watched a movie! Insane! Then they would send home 6 pages of work. I felt like I was working full time, then teaching my own child at night. I believe parents should be a good resource and to encourage learning and even fill in some gaps, but it never felt like the teachers were making any efforts at all. We would spend 2 -3 hours / night doing homework. I'm not kidding!

I have a big issue BULLYING. I dont know why kids think FIGHTING is the answer! This kids have their own games. They make up games involving fighting they just choose random kids to pick & fight with. My son was targeted just because he gets good grades. Its ridiculous! This kids will fight in restrooms, playgrounds, in cafeteria, etc. Dont get me wrong its a good school but something needs to be done with BULLYING.

My daughter attended pre k here in the 2014-2015 school year. I cannot believe how much she learned going for half a day every day. Not only did her speech get better, she knows the whole alphabet, upper and lower case, the sounds (to the point of being able to read a word here or there on her own sounding it out), can count 1 to 100, add and subtract minimally, can write her name as well as other words on her own, knows the days of the week, months of the year, seasons and so much more. While she knew some things to start, to see how far she could go is amazing and exciting and I'm so pleased. I was allowed to participate in many activities they had at the school as well as have my younger son get involved with his class for activities as well when I went up to the school so see my daughter. Participation was highly encouraged in all things. It's not a great area of town and maybe when she's older I will find another school just because of the area we live in is a little rough. But while she is younger and more focused on school than the kids around her, this is a great school. The teachers keep them active and going and were treated well from what I always saw and was told by my daughter. I have nothing bad to say about my experience with the school as far as pre k goes and the teachers we had.

Below average academically for sure. The campus is littered with trash, and across the street is a sleazy corner store with tons of trash and graffiti and seedy people hanging around. My son experienced nothing but problems during first grade; the teacher was inept and would overlook his homework almost daily when it was inside his binder as usual. The pricipal was forever calling me if my son had ANY kind of issue whatsoever - one of which was my son soiled his underwear because he wasn't allowed to go to the restroom... Also he was given out of class suspension repeatedly for rudimentary reasons..I mean this is first grade!! Surely there is a "time out" area in the classroom so a child isn't missing instruction! Really unhappy with this school, it's in a ghetto area and looks it. All the good reviews for this school were posted 10 years ago; it has definitely gone downhill because Candlewood Elementary is nothing to rave about.

My school is amazing, the best feeling was sending my som here for his very first year of school!! The only complaint I have is the lighting around the school and street for drop off in the morning, and wish they had a crossing card at the corner in front of the Pre-K rooms.

Last modified Candlewood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.