Candlewood Elementary School 2

Posted May 20, 2014
Below average academically for sure. The campus is littered with trash, and across the street is a sleazy corner store with tons of trash and graffiti and seedy people hanging around. My son experienced nothing but problems during first grade; the teacher was inept and would overlook his homework almost daily when it was inside his binder as usual. The pricipal was forever calling me if my son had ANY kind of issue whatsoever - one of which was my son soiled his underwear because he wasn't allowed to go to the restroom... Also he was given out of class suspension repeatedly for rudimentary reasons..I mean this is first grade!! Surely there is a "time out" area in the classroom so a child isn't missing instruction! Really unhappy with this school, it's in a ghetto area and looks it. All the good reviews for this school were posted 10 years ago; it has definitely gone downhill because Candlewood Elementary is nothing to rave about.

Posted May 16, 2013
My school is amazing, the best feeling was sending my som here for his very first year of school!! The only complaint I have is the lighting around the school and street for drop off in the morning, and wish they had a crossing card at the corner in front of the Pre-K rooms.

Candlewood Elementary School 1

Posted February 04, 2011
my son is in first grade. Ms. Rodriguez she did not want to give me a conference at all. she made up all kinds of excuses not to give me one. I am very disapointment with that, i think we as parents need to know what material our kids are learning and if they need help, we need to know that.

Candlewood Elementary School 4

Posted June 29, 2009
My son just completed his first year of school here. (Kindergarten) His teacher, Mrs. Rubio, is an excellent teacher. The principal, Mrs. Allen, is an outstanding principal. She really tried to 'whip the school into shape.' If you know the location of the school, then you will understand why. From looking at the surroundings of the school, you would think it is a bad run-down school, but the majority of the staff and teachers there are very nice. I think it's a great school and the PTA parents are all very nice.

Posted November 17, 2008
I can not tell you how impressed I am with the level of attention and dedication I notice with the entire staff at Candlewood. My daughter was a part of the pre-school program and is now in Kindergarten. She enjoys school so much that she does extra homework on her own and can now read to me. My daughter is so excited that she tells me she does not want to miss a day of school even if I have the day off. The school is very receptive to volunteerism and provides an atmosphere conducive to learning and growth.

Posted May 06, 2008

Posted September 18, 2006
My kids were transferred to Candlewood by the District because the school they were attending was overpopulated. At first I was nervous and upset but now I am very happy that this change came about. The teachers are great. The principal and her assistant are caring and go out of their way for the kids. I have three kids in the school and they have all been taken care of very good. Both the academics are great as well as the concern for the children's social being. I truly recommend Candlewood to Family and friends and would enroll them here even if I had the option to send them elsewhere.

Posted August 26, 2004
Principal Susan Perry, staff and teachers are very considerate. I have 3 kids enrolled and they really love going to school as it is considered as their second home. Thank you for all your hard work!

Posted October 23, 2003
A secretary named Linda Crawford helped me with everything I needed help with. I believe she is new and let me just say that she is a great addition to Candlewood. I know my child is safe there because of staff at Candlewood. Thank you so much!

Candlewood Elementary School
3635 Candleglenn, San Antonio, TX  78244
Last modified Candlewood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Candlewood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top