Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

We are going to a school where the students know how to behave themselves and actually want to learn, or at the very least, where those in charge actually care about what happens in their school. If you have any choice of school, do not send your kids to Garner. This was absolutely, hands down, the worst school my either of my children ever attended.

If there was a way for me to give this school less than one star, I would. I used to attend Garner Middle School (7th grade) and I can honestly say that waking up and going to that school every day was complete and utter hell for me. After just one year of attending, I spiraled into depression and actually became suicidal. I could not focus or learn properly in the environment and there were constant distractions. Only a few of the teachers in the school actually cared about the education or well being of their students, and the staff were too busy stopping people from killing each other to help the students. Despite the neglect of most of the teachers and the principal, the main problem for me was with the students. There are very little consequences for misbehavior, and students who commit serious acts of violence are allowed to return to school and continue these acts within a few weeks. Every day that I showed up to school, I was afraid that I would be beaten up or harassed. The students are rude, inconsiderate, and never cease to bully innocent people who are only trying to get an education. They talk about drugs constantly and swear directly in front of people of authority with no consequences. The teachers or principal do absolutely nothing in response to the bullying. I found it very hard to concentrate in these conditions, and although I successfully passed to the next grade, I'm not sure if other kids will be able to do the same unless they are truly determined. After attending Garner, I was actually traumatized and filled with so much hatred that I actually had to attend therapy. I can no longer go to schools, and instead I am homeschooled in order to prevent these types of things from happening again. If you are a parent planning on sending your child to this school, I highly recommend that you reconsider and send your child to a different school. It's not worth the risk and there are plenty of other schools that I'm sure are more appropriate for your child that will actually give them a fair chance at education.

My daughter's name is Desiree . She is being verbally and physically abused on the school bus . Nor the bus driver or the powers that be seem to take much interest in our concerns. I don't know how others parent or refuse to, but my daughter isn't exposed to such language or behavior at home, and ought not to at school. She will not return.

The principal and other administrators at this school have no regard for the well being of the children in their school. When my daughter was kicked by another student in her first year, I was told by the AVP that my child was not telling the truth. It is now year 2 and my child who has recently been inducted in NJHS, is having trouble with female students calling her names. I reported this to a counselor and the AVP and neither took it seriously. They can't do anything without names and details from the student directly. NEISD claims to have a strong anti-bullying policy but I can say from experience, they have no idea how to handle bullying. Now my daughter is hiding from the bullies and this has created more problems for her. She is late to class so the school is reprimanding her for excessive tardies. I can't wait for school to be over and I pray to God that we find a school next year that will give her a fresh start.

The teachers and staff at Garner Middle School are very responsive to the needs of the students. Our experience with Garner has been very positive.

Last modified Garner Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.