Bad
Good

Great school, but....Why are there so few African American students? This school has the LOWEST percentage (1.7%) of African American students in NEISD. No other high school has numbers anywhere near this low. This is particularly problematic given that ISA is a top magnet school that draws from the entire district (and beyond). Diversity and excellence go hand and hand (something I think ISA & NEISD leadership would agree on) so I'm hoping that in the future there will be more serious efforts to recruit and retain African American students at ISA. In my opinion this will result in a student body that is even more prepared to deal with the realities of our city, our state, our country and (perhaps most importantly) the broader WORLD we live in.

All three of my children graduated from ISA....two went to the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, the other is at Mills College in Oakland. ISA DEFINITELY prepared my children to succeed in college and life. Small classes, engaged teacher who WANT to be at school, and lots of life lessons for all students...especially in the good citizen category.

ISA has taught me a lot about being a good citizen and person in general. It has given me many opportunities I wouldn't have been able to have at any other school.

ISA is such a wonderful school. I am currently a junior and have been at ISA since my freshman year. This school does so much to challenge you, make you look at the bigger picture, look at different perspectives, and to continually make a difference no matter how big or how small. We, the juniors, just recently got back from the Alabama Civil Rights Trip. I can honestly say that it has changed me for the better. Being able to talk with people whom were alive during the Civil Rights Movement was amazing. ISA is one big family, including all grades, the teachers and the faculty. You could go to them about anything, and they actually care. This is a wonderful school and I would definitely recommended applying here.

Great Teachers, wonderful travel experiences

I have a child who has tested gifted or in the 99 percentile in any standardized test she has taken. Much of the work she was given in Alamo Heights did not challenge her. It killed me to watch her spend precious time on this type of homework, because she already mastered the subject matter. At ISA she has never been involved in a project where she wasn t challenging herself. She has absolutely blossomed, loving the educational experience. She is very happy there, and learning the important lessons of life. I can t say enough good things about the school.

Last modified International School Of America is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.