No rating

Holy Spirit Catholic School

Private | 2-11

Living in San Antonio

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $137,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $730.

Sweep tile

Posted April 5, 2014

Can the poster that recently posted on March 31 elaborate on the poor management style and lack of plans by the principal? I'm looking into the school and would like feedback, please. Thanks!

Posted March 31, 2014

I am very displeased about this school. Although the parent involvement community has been good. There needs to be change in administration. The principal talks down to parents and to students. She is arrogant and likes to intimidate parents, students and staff. There are a few teachers who feel entitled and are "cliquish". During carline pick-up there are a few teachers who will not take the kids to their cars unless the parents drive a certain model or have a certain status. I was heartbroken to hear of the infinite issues regarding the principal and her lack of leadership skills and plan of action. She is tactless and has no faith in the children achieving. She is unprofessional, unethical and leads by fear! Did anyone check her previous employer? I think she needs to go back to Illinois!

Posted March 21, 2014

Not what I expected from a Catholic School. Disappointed with every aspect of this school.

Posted February 27, 2014

This school has been disappointing in every way possible from the ineffective administration, to the inadequate curriculum, and the less than mediocre teachers.

Posted January 8, 2014

Please keep in mind that if you are on a waiting list, there are other nearby Catholic Schools that have great reviews without a waiting list. My family pulled my niece out because of cliquish (bullying)behavior that would go uncorrected by teachers and administration. God Bless!

Posted September 17, 2013

Why are there no recent reviews? Is someone taking them off? I just think it's suspicious that there hasn't been a review on this school since Feb. 2013!

Posted February 19, 2013

Just for the record - Holy Spirit Catholic School is having an outstanding year under the leadership of the new Principal - who has 29 years of education experience - 12 as a Principal of a Catholic School and 7 in the Public Sector. (Great combination!)Curriclum allignment and professional Development are two major areas she seems to be focusing on this year. As a parent, it is evident that under her direction, HSCS is stronger today than it has been in the last 5 years. I think if you surveyed the parents today - you would see that the "extremely satisfied" category would be checked for solid academics immersed in our wonderful Catholic faith. I would not even consider sending my kids elsewhere. This community is a place I am proud our family belongs!

Posted June 7, 2012

I have been so disappointed in this school this past year and wish we would not have waited 5 years to leave. Holy Spirit has fallen short in many ways and I am actually worried that our child will be behind when attending public school next year. Don't get me wrong, there are good teachers in every school and I love some of them here, but this school seems to have more than its share of inept teachers. The teachers focus more on what they can find that is wrong with a student instead of trying to discover how they can help them to become better, more mature students. They need to focus more on actually enabling their students. We are so happy to not be returning this next year. They need some direction and leadership.

Posted May 24, 2012

My family has been attending Holy Spirit school for many years. Yes, the school has been through a lot of changes the past few years. However, change is always good. The changes that have occurred have not affected my family or my children at the school in any way. Academically my children have been learning beyond their grade level. Spiritually, they have been nurtured with love and compassion. Their love for Jesus and one another radiates from their knowledge in faith. Overall, I believe the school is phenomenal. We are very happy at this school and would not go anywhere else.

Posted May 20, 2012

So there's a new principal who will replace the previous inept individual. I am optimistic and believe she may just have what it takes to break up the current staff who has led this school to the dump! We shall see...
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 26, 2012

For the parent who posted the 4 star comment on 3/22, either you work for the school or have your head someplace else. You seem to have really personalized those comments about the VP and stressed how many hours she works. How do you know this and why do you seem to take the comments so personal? Many,many parents at Holy Spirit are unhappy. What about the multiple families who pulled their children out of the 4th grade mid-year this year? What about the numerous comments about how cold and uninvolved the VP is this year? What about the 1st grade teacher's aid who yells at the children in the lunch room. Really? You don't see any of this? I'm not buying it. These comments and experiences I know for a fact come from highly involved parents which is exactly why they are leaving the school! In addition, your last comment about praying for us. No need. I for one do not need nor want prayers that come from a self-righteous and indignant individual such as your response indicates that you are. Submitted by a parent

Posted March 23, 2012

AHHH! Ignorance is bliss Are you kidding me? I was there for 4 years and only saw nothing but teachers roaming the halls and chatting away while the poor students were losing out. REMEMBER this school was once Blue Ribbon and has now lost that staus due to poor academics. The administration is by far professional. I still have friends who attend and say she is rude and does not respond to parents phone calls or emails. Please don't embellish and say that she is available-- By the way, you are right we were not happy and left your so called "awesome school" a year ago. What a complete difference between the schools--the difference is amazing!

Posted March 22, 2012

Holy Spirit Catholic School is a wonderful place for children to attend school and acquire a foundation for education. I have a child in high school who went throughout HSCS and is excelling in academics as well as being a well rounded child. We have a middle schooler attending this year and could not be happier. The assistant principal has stepped in and demonstrated excellence and professionalism where there was none due the inefficiencies and mistakes made by the former principal. She works countless hours, is available to staff, students and parents. Many parents today don't want to work "with" educators. They do not teach responsibility and everything is someone else's fault. They then lash out and post derogatory comments and blame the school......after all....it could not be their misbehaving child that is preventing EVERHYONE else from learning. No, it is much easier to blame the priest, principal, and teachers. If you are so unhappy at our awesome school....you can leave. We will pray for you.

Posted March 2, 2012

for the person that posted February 1, 2012: what is the school that you transfered from last year? I'd really apprerciate your response since i'm trying to find a good catholic school for next year

Posted February 1, 2012

We are a family who transferred this year from another "troubled" catholic school with a principal that was "very qualified"; however her qualifications and yrs of experience still DID NOT make her a good principal. Every family has their own experience depending on their child. Ours has been amazing starting with the interim principal; whom I think is highly qualified and cares about the school. The staff is also commendable; we have worked closely with the elementary counselor and our child's teacher and both have been "absolutely phenomenal." They have been nothing but professional, caring and friendly w/ every experience we have had. I've had lunch w/ my child and the teachers get after the kids because they play more than eat and they have a limited lunch time. Don't we get after our kids for playing too much and not eatig when they are supposed to? Every experience is different so you have to see for yourself and not take the advise of everything written; including myself. We LOVE this school, the staff, the teachers and the families. You make what you want of every experience you have. If you get involved and effectively communicate you get good results.

Posted January 7, 2012

We have been with the school for 4 years. We are very happy with the school. We have to respect everybody s opinion even though we do not agree with parents that have rated the school low. My son could not be happier. Academics are strong. Teachers are very good. The environment is great for the kids and as the result, the school has great kids. There have been changes in the administration and there is still a search for a principal. Having said that, the current staff has done a great job running the school this school year. Nothing is perfect, but bottom line Holy Spirit is a very good school.

Posted January 4, 2012

I have been very disappointed with the academics of the school as well as the administration. I know many people that have left due to the administration but have been trying to 'wait it out" in hopes that it will get better. I know that all schools have politics but this one seems at the top of the heap. There is a lot of secrecy. The search committee consists of several staff members (have you ever heard of hiring your boss?!) and others that state that they have strict requirements for a new principal yet the current vice principal has been allowed to put her hat in the ring even though she isn't qualified according to these strict guidelines. Although a lot of aggravation revolves around the administration or lack thereof, my biggest concern at this point (one that will weigh heavily on my decision to return next year) is the lack of good teaching. My children are often yelled at, aren't challenged and very bored with busy work, and disciplined for silly things like talking in the lunch room. I pray that they get their act together in the very near future or we will be forced to look elsewhere.

Posted May 25, 2011

First year here with two children. Teachers are good, academics seem to be decent but not to the level I would expect, and we have mixed feelings about the community. The kids like the school, but there are cliques (parental) that can be silly to deal with. It is pricey, and there is an almost constant demand for more money--sports, uniforms, meals, activities, presents, yearly registration, yearly commitment fee, monthly tithe to maintain "in parish" status etc. The volunteer program is managed loosely, at best, and some parents refuse to do their share--they sign up, for sure, and probably claim the hours, but don't show. The reasons to stay--outstanding teachers, good religious based education, and the relative safety of a private school education. Hopefully the administration will become more responsive.

Posted May 23, 2011

I really give the after school program of this school a rating of 0 because they do not care at all about the kids and the lady that runs the programs keeps saying she is not responsible for the kids .. so basically she just wants the parents money. Plus she even hates kids herself and has no college nor schooling as a teacher and does not want to have kids so why the heck does she work there in the first place?The kids are treated with no compassion nor sympathy and they don't realize that. I feel very bad for the children that have to go to that afterschool. Parents do not know tmost of these afterschool teachers have no good intentions with the children,and I believe no changes will take place not even with a new viceprincipal nor a new principal.

Posted May 30, 2010

The principal cares about, money only,but now she is going to retire,so the school will have a new principal who hopefully will be better.There is this mentality that the kids are just there to study but not to be cared about with kindness and respect. Teachers don't want to clarify schoolwork or answer questions of the students after school. The after school program's director cares 0 for the kids,she doesn't want to do anything for them. She denies the kids food if they forget to bring money from home and water if they forget to get their water. At times she and her staff refuse to wait with the kids if their parents haven't arrived,and often call the kids names and screams at them when kids are out of control. They can be very cruel. Terrible program!

Two or more races 19% N/A
Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • TCC
Fax number
  • (210) 349-1247

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of San Antonio

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

770 W Ramsey Rd