PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted March 12, 2016
When the current principal was selected, the school council and pastor of the parish gave her wide latitude to bring the school back to its former glory. She immediately formulated a 5-year strategic plan, strengthened the curriculum, created incentives and retention programs for teachers, invested heavily in new teaching technologies, upgraded textbooks and learning facilities, and many other improvements. Along the way, a small number of parents and a few teachers found the new principal's no-nonsense approach unpalatable, and they left. But for those of us who stayed and helped, this school has become an extended family. Holy Spirit's enrollment has grown dramatically over the past few years. Family retention is up, as is teacher retention. The archdiocese does not allow the school to say it publicly, but Holy Spirit’s standardized test scores are among the highest in the city. Local catholic high schools will tell you that entrance exam scores of Holy Spirit 8th graders are among the highest, and nearly all of those students end up taking advanced placement classes in their freshman year of high school. Holy Spirit still has improvements to make in areas like data infrastructure, classroom space, and long-term development strategy, but in every important measure, it is clearly a top catholic school in San Antonio.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted March 12, 2016
The quarterly Virtue Award program encourages and rewards honesty, integrity, kindness, etc. The administration has little patience for violations of code of conduct.

Posted March 12, 2016
Our kids are thriving. The school is safe and nurturing. The leadership and teachers strongly profess their catholic faith. The academics are challenging, and prepare the kids very well for high school. The community is like family.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted March 12, 2016
With few exceptions the teachers are dedicated, caring, and eager to build relationships with parents.

Posted February 11, 2016
I enrolled my son in the prek 3 program . We are extremely please with the teachers and staff. we have seen great progress from our son in the short term he has attended Holy spirit. I would highly recommend this school to any parent who is considering enrolling their child in catholic school .

Grateful to: Parent

Posted December 18, 2015
the parents here are tremendous. they are the greatest blessing of this school. Their goodness flows over to the kids.

Holy Spirit Catholic School 1

Posted January 29, 2015
Horrible administration. Principal thinks she's above reproach and the children fear her. The school has had to open additional grade levels to keep attendance, and income, up, and the education is mediocre compared to other private schools is the area. As a parent, I'm disgusted at what this formerly fine school has become. No accountability, favoritism, and the constant pursuit of the dollar are what's going on here. Families are leaving in droves and we' re one of them.

Holy Spirit Catholic School 1

Posted August 09, 2014
The administration is ineffective. There are students with behavioral issues at this school that are not addressed effectively. The supervision provided to the students is inadequate further exacerbating the danger the students are placed in by the behavioral issues. There are plenty of other public and private schools in the city that provide a more rigorous curriculum, have proper supervision, and a principal that can actually perform the job he or she was hired to do with some grace and tact. Holy Spirit is not able to meet this criteria. Don't waste your time or money here.

Posted June 19, 2014
I am a former student at Holy Spirit and will be a freshman next year in highschool. I personally think without this outstanding school, I wouldn't be the person I am today. I graduated with honors and, not to mention, a great class that had the BEST teachers. My classmates have experienced a great Catholic school environment that was, for the past 9-10 years, bully-free, extremely loving, focused on the students, and filled with fun. I love all the aspects of the school, but I do admit to some flaws that need improving. For example, I can tell you straight off the bat, that all of my classmates that went to after school care, myself included, agree completely with the person who commented on May 23, 2011. We all thought the same thing. THE ASC director made 3-5 cry everyday out of ridiculous punishment. For example, we were waiting for ''gym time'' and we were talking. Now so far she hadn't done anything yet, but we reached just one volume peak and she yelled that we had no gym time FOR A WEEK! We thought it was completely unfair for her to do that. Otherwise, this school is AMAZING in its academics, teaching, teachers, environment, and everything else; just needs to improve ASC.

Posted May 03, 2014
I'm genuinely confused as to the comments below. As for the carline issue, I'm scratching my head as I have driven a variety of different cars to pick up my kids (luxury to regular, old, beat-up family sedans) and NEVER have I encountered a difference in how teachers bring my kids to the car nor have a witnessed this with other families! As far as the principal is concerned, again I am confused. While, admittedly, we haven't had that much direct contact with her, she has always been friendly and approachable when I've had comments or questions. In fact, she offered a "Wednesday Words" session every month open to all parents to come and just talk about whatever was on their minds. Luckily, our kids haven't had behavior or academic issues, so we haven't had to deal with her on "tough issues". Also, we have been extremely pleased with the teachers! Yes, they can be "tough" with homework/project assignments, but our kids are thriving! We are so happy with the Catholic Identity and the spiritual values that are being taught! We came from another Catholic school in the archdiocese, which was ridiculously subpar academically, and can now only say how pleased we have been with Holy Spirit!

770 West Ramsey Road, San Antonio, TX  78216
Last modified Holy Spirit Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8