No rating

Mt Sacred Heart School

Private | PK-8

Living in San Antonio

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $137,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $730.

Posted October 10, 2014

We truly love this school. I have 2 daughters who have graduated from MSH and one still enrolled here. My older girls were more than prepared to take on the academic challenges at IWHS. They were enrolled in Honors and AP classes and both graduated top 10%. My youngest is in middle school at MSH and is thriving. All three of my girls have a strong sense of community, faith and service. And although my husband and I would like to take all the credit, we can't. MSH really gets the credit for instilling the value system our kids have formed. Any Catholic school is an investment but the benefits and gifts my girls have received at MSH has been priceless.

Posted September 25, 2014

We are new to this school and so far it is worth every penny. Great organization by the administration team. A lot to offer as far as religion, academics, the arts, and technology. It does need some updating, but they are working towards remodeling. Wish I would of found this school for my child earlier. I would definitely recommend this school to anyone wanting a Catholic faith and quality education.

Posted August 22, 2014

I can only compare this to another Catholic school my child attended, and I can honestly say this school needs some modern overhaul. I paid down to the dollar for every item my child needed, i.e. school planner, gym bag, backpack, etc. Moreover, everything had to be the school color of maroon, including jackets in the fall and winter months. More uniform options are necessary. One spring/summer uniform, and one fall/winter uniform are not enough. The staff is semi-friendly. They definitely need more than one individual to answer the phone lines/help in the office. Completely unforgiving when it comes to being late for school, regardless of traffic on the roads; that is just not a good excuse. I would also suggest they sink money toward an actual art teacher considering this is a liberal arts school. An art teacher is a better option, than the excuse they had for a dance instructor. I didn't know who I was more embarrassed for at the recital, the instructor or my child. As far as academics, I felt in some subjects they were behind, and seemed like they were teaching core-curriculum. My child enjoyed the school, but thought her previous one was better, I can concur.

Posted October 31, 2013

I have to agree with the previous review. If you can get past the sad behavior of some of the parents you will love this school! Our children are doing fantastic and we cannot say enough about the administration. Mrs Harrold and Mrs Casto are very hands on and Diana Cavazos is one of the sweetest and most genuine people I have ever met. The teachers are the best and take time with each child to ensure success. Thats really all we could ask for in a school. So if you are looking at our school for your child just know that they will soar with the Eagles!!!!!!

Posted May 1, 2013

This is my first year at MSH and I say that I enjoy it better than at Charles Graebner Elementary School. I love it at Mount. I think that Mount will really help me in my middle school years

Posted December 5, 2012

The school tries. It really does. But if you can avoid the High School behavior of the parents and look past the teachers horrible temperament to deal with students in a professional manner, then you should be fine. I just don't think it's appropriate for a second grade teacher to tip over students desks because they cant find papers! innapropriate!!

Posted August 18, 2012

Mount Sacred Heart Parent for 9 years. The environment and discussions among the students are different compared to public school. The involvement of the parents regardless of "The Clicks" don't change the fact that most of them make the effort to be very involved in the school and the children. My children make all A's and are very bright. The school has a part in this. I recommend MSH and many other private schools.

Posted July 27, 2012

We have been at Mount for a few years now and are very happy with the community and close family atomsphere that everyone is a part of. We are blessed to still have sisters in our school. The academics are challenging, teachers are involved, dedicated and caring of every student. We are very happy at Mount Sacred Heart.

Posted January 23, 2012

Mt Sacred Heart School fails to meet the expectations of being a school of excellence. The school leadership is poor and lacks the focus of the school's mission. It is obvious that the decisions of the principal are driven by parents and "clicks" that contribute substantial amounts of time and funds. Unfortunately, several outstanding students (in academics, athletics, and arts) are overshadowed by poor decisions and favoritism. The majority of the teachers display a lot of compassion and support for the student body. However, the tensions in the school environment are obvious. The principal's interaction with the teacher's does not appear supportive, welcoming, or pleasant.

Posted November 2, 2011

My experience with Mount Sacred Heart was such a disappointing one. MSH was once a school with such a great reputation, but due to a new Principle and poor leadership, the school is in my opinion substandard. My son attended the Montessori program and it was a complete train wreak! Disorganization, poor excuse for Montessori education, ratios that are just as sad as public school ratios. During recess there were over 100 Montessori children (21/2 yr old to 5 year olds) (4 classes of 25 each) with minimal supervision on a substandard playground with substandard playground equipment, nothing that revealed Montessori or Early Childhood principles. We lasted a little over a month and pulled our son out. He is now at an exceptional academically accelerated school and is doing better than we could ever imagine. I agree with many others and are familiar with the inner school politics of MHS and believe the principle has forced many great teachers out and students as well.

Posted October 24, 2011

This school has fallen so far from where it once was because of the current principle. She refuses to take responsibility when the school is clearly at fault and blames anyone and everyone she can. She has chased off excellent teachers and students alike and sees nothing wrong with this. Poor leadership is the root cause of all the problems at MSH. pulling my child from MSH was the best thing we did. I only wish we would have done it sooner.

Posted June 13, 2011

Having my child at this school was an interesting experience. The opportunity to participate in CYO, drama and other school productions was a plus and big boost to my child's self esteem. However, anything self esteem that was built up was quickly bulldozed by really mean classmates who made it known loud and clear who did not fit in. The parents of these children also perpetuated this behavior with their exclusive alumni, high donor or CYO clicks. The teachers were just okay (some a lot better than others), I really expect more if I am choosing to pay for my child's education. I was really disappointed overall too.

Posted June 10, 2011

We LOVE MSH! We are in the Montessori program, just finished our second year, and will definitely be back next year. Can't wait til our youngest is old enough to attend as well. CYO has really helped form a great bond with the other parents and the Mount community. My 4 year old knows things that I was never taught during my education.

Posted May 17, 2011

Mount Sacred Heart School has forgotten what it's mission is. To teach through the loving heart of Jesus. The middle school is riddled with bulling that seems to be ignored by the middle school teachers. Teachers play favorites with their students and the principal of Mount caters to children who have parents that contribute large sums of money to the school. There is NO compassion for those students that don't fit in to a niche, not by the students, not by the teachers and not by the administration. Mount Sacred Heart has too many teachers that are the parents of students and not enough teachers that are certified to teach. Disappointing overall.

Posted March 23, 2011

It is our first year at this school and I have to say that the principal is great but the parents and some of the kids have not been very nice. We have also not had a very good experience with some of the teachers. Being a new family to this school has not been easy since many families have a long history at this school and they tend to make newcomers feel like outsiders. Overall, however, the academics seem to be pretty challenging and that is the most important thing.

Posted April 20, 2010

Love this school! The community is amazing. The academics are strong. The fine arts program is broad-based and advanced. There are nuns who are a part of my child's daily routine-something you rarly find these days. The teachers go far beyond their call-of-duty because they actually care that the students learn. My kids are happy and are thriving at MSH.

Posted March 10, 2010

I too disagree with the previous post stating that MSH is not a top notch school! I have a nephew who is in 1st grade learning about food chains in Science, has an excellent vocabulary, and who understands the importance of cultural awareness due to MSH and its Montessori program. I am a public school teacher and he knows more than most of my fouth graders! I assume the parent who posted the negative comments has a child whose needs must be met elsewhere. That is understandable. Not every child is MSH worthy.

Posted January 14, 2009

I have two daughters that current attend the school and I can't speak highly enough about the teacher's and the new principle. They are always very attentive to our concerns regarding our children's education.

Posted January 11, 2009

2009 and doing Just fine! MSH is well balanced and a strong community! New Prnicipal has a vision and the school stands behind her!! Call today and see the future!

Posted November 27, 2008

Wow! This school is very behind in their teaching styles. My two children went there for 4 years and when they transfered to AHISD they were very behind in Math. After a semester at their new school, my oldest jumped to the top of her 5th grade class. I had many issues with the faculty but most importantly, were the rudeness of some of the teachers. The great ones do not stay very long, are stressed out, and underpaid.

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (210) 342-4032

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of San Antonio

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

619 Mount Sacred Heart Road